Monday, August 13, 2012

Time Out For Delight



Mini Vacation

I did manage to spend part of my Vacation Week on Cape Cod, Dear Readers, visiting my Father and his partner. And while I had hoped I would find time to work on some of my MANY Mini projects, it just was not meant to be. But that does NOT mean my Vacation was Devoid of minis.... on the contrary.... I ran into miniatures and Inspirations at every turn! We decided to go to the Monument Museum in Provincetown, MA, to see an exhibit of old photographs depicting the Town's Fascinating History. The very first photo we saw was the one above (a photo of the photo taken by me).... showing "Delight Cottage" one of the old houses no longer standing. If you look closely you can see the word "Delight" carved in the decorative panels along the porch trim just under the roof.... and you can also see the words "J. Rogers " over the stairs! Well, my Daddy's name is John Rogers! Wouldn't this make a Fantastic House in Miniature????
I can see it now..... I even have the kit all picked out.....
Alas, it will have to get in line behind the ones I am already building!

But that was just the Beginning, Dear Readers! 
I have been to that Museum with my Boys many years ago... several times, even... 
but I had Forgotten that they have an Old Dollhouse on exhibit!!

It was built by an antique collector in the early part of the Twentieth Century and given to the Museum in 1930. All the windows are glass so you can look in from every angle. It is furnished as an Old New England  home would have been in the early part of the Twentieth Century.
Here, come have a closer look.... We'll just step in through the back door...


(please excuse the reflections from the glass... it was difficult to get clear shots...)
Do you see the lovely glass Hurricane lamp on the table? This was made by a man named Courtney Allen, an artist and glass-blower. He made all the lamps for this house. You can see another one in the Kitchen on your left.... 


along with a cast iron cook stove and lovely old farmhouse table and chairs... 
The room to the right is the Dining Room.....

With a fancier lamp and Beautiful chairs......

This is the view from the side window, 
looking back towards the door into the hall....
and a glimpse of the beautiful Windsor chairs.....


 This room is probably the Library.....
Just Look at all those BOOKS!
I wish I could see inside their covers.....
And look at that marble topped table!
All the furnishings are antiques collected from many sources....


 And in the corner is this sweet doll.... 




In the Front Hall just inside the door we can see a young boy doll.... 
and the stairs going up.
Look at the doorways.... they are all arched! 
(sorry about the reflections...)


On the right is the Parlor.... with the ornate settee and the piano!


Upstairs we have the Bedrooms and another Sitting or Dressing Room.....
This view is looking in from the side and you can see the bedroom across the hall!

And another closer look at the ornate Victorian desk in the Sitting Room.... 
with a Beautiful lamp made by Courtney Allen.
(Sorry that the reflections are so distracting in this shot...)


I think this is the Master Bedroom... 
it is in the Front of the house and the bed linens are the most ornate...
There is a crochet lace coverlet on the bed!


The back bedrooms have simpler beds.... this one is a Rope bed... 
And they have Beautiful patchwork quilts...


And another lovely quilt on this bed.... just slightly different!

 And a simple dresser and mirror in the corner.... 
with another beautiful glass lamp....

Even the upstairs hallway looks just as it really would... 
with the stairs up to the attic and a table for the lamps.....!
How could I have Forgotten this House?

I am sure you will not be surprised that the Museum had even more delights of a miniature nature! It is a good Old Fashioned Museum with a great variety of Dioramas in different scales and many fascinating objects on display. For such a small Museum it has a Fantastic assortment. The most fascinating one for me was a Diorama of a Glass-making Factory..... 
all made by Courtney Allen...
In nearly perfect 1:12 scale!!!
Here below you can see the whole scene.....


But you Have to come closer......

To really see the incredible details.....


The workers... the tools... the Furnace.....

And the Amazing Glassware!!!

 Can you Believe it????




And the Master Glassblower himself......

One has to wonder if he made his own self portrait.....

So, Dear Readers, I am sure you will not be surprised that I found minis to Delight me in other spots as well! I love to search the beaches for the tiniest shells I can find... and this year I was fortunate enough to find my way to Liliput where I found a Treasure Trove of the Tiniest shells....

 And here you can see the tiniest ones.....

That was Truly
Time out for Delight!




13 comments:

  1. Interesting photos, you must have had a terrific time, love your shells too. So good to have a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an amazing work..the glass factory...so much to see and admire, the figures are suberb! Thank you for showing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Здорово когда есть куда сходить. Восхитительно ))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Betsy,
    How loevely. That first picture is one of the loveliest houses I've seen. I agree that it would be a wonderful project! I'm very impressed by the realisma nd the detail in the museum dollhouse. It really is great and very much looks like real rooms.
    Great post betsy,
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip - thank you for all those beautiful pictures, it was a little bit like being with you... That first house is almost too nice to be real, what a great coincidence that the owner's name is also your father's - what an inspiration. And that dollhouse was stunning but the most amazing piece for me was the glass manufacture. Glassblowers always fascinated me, and this piece is incredible. Thanks for showing!

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for showing us your pictures and sharing your wonderful day with us. Fantastic house so many beautiful details. The glass blower display is amazing.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the tour, this is by far my favorite kind of museum, the ones with dioramas, with old dollhouses crafted with amazing skill and love, with bits and bobs and details that honor the place it lives. Those tiny glass jars and the shells, made by man and nature with such patience and housed with such care! It makes me miss my Takapausha Museum, which taught me in diorama form what lay under the earth at my feet! I'm still trying to recreate that early childhood wonder, I think. I'm so glad that a little bit of Cape Cod is part of my summer again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got to have some well-deserved R&R, Betsy! I remember seeing all those exhibits back when I lived in Boston and used to summer in P-Town...thanks for bring back some fantastic memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When was that lovely doll house made? The real antique furnishings are wonderful - sets a standard, doesn't it? 'Twould be real expensive, now, to aquire such real tiny antique furniture. And, I'm sure it's a real self-portrait of the glass blower guy - Mr. Allen. What a treasure trove!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Besty,

    The first house would make an excellent miniature project, I agree. Kepp it in mind!

    I like the vintage dolls house too, it had some lovely details inside, I find the doll a little creepy mind you! Thanks for taking us on a tour around it. And the glass blowing model is amazing too.

    Lovely shells I am sure they will com in useful!!

    Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

    regards
    Andy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you have a marvellous time and I definitely think J Rogers should get his house, never mind sticking the kit to the back of the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so realistic looking. It must have taken a long time to collect everything and put it together in this display. 1932 Bungalow house from the Mott's Miniatures Museum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooooooh dioramas and dolls! The best kind of minis and the ones I absolutely love! So far the ones I have seen were the usual nativity sort and already I was fascinated. You can imagine my utter delight at what you are showcasing here, Bets.

    Glass factory! WOW! Thank you for the glorious photos of so many details! We have one on life in the 20's along our Singapore River (if you come to Singapore, we must definitely visit the small museum) :).

    ReplyDelete