Fits and Starts.....
I warned you, Dear Readers, that the Glass House walls were not attached and would fall over at the drop of a pin! Well, here you can see the parts in the early morning light... all tumbled around! I resolved that the best way forward with this project was going to be to attach the walls together while still making the framework removable from the base for all the painting fitting and trim work. And I thought it would be best to add the first coat of primer to the interior before assembling the walls. Because the plywood is thin but not too thin, (one quarter inch thick to be precise) I decided that the strongest method of attaching these pieces would be to screw them together with small screws. And while I was drilling all those screw holes, I could also be attaching the door hinges! Of course, I forgot to take any pictures of so many
Here you can see the basic framework is screwed together
wherever the walls touch each other.
And there are my favorite hinges!
(I know they are a tiny bit large for this scale,
but they will be getting a lot of use so I want them to be sturdy!)
Here is a slightly closer shot!
And before I went any further, I needed to cut out the pieces for the roof sections,
also relying on the plywood "wall with a window cut into it" method.
Here you can see the two sections have been cut and the hinges attached.
And from the rear, opening side... (sorry it is a dark shot!)
I had to carefully trim the side of the roof frame
to be able to swing open past the roof eaves of The Folly.
(Lots of fits and starts!)
And there will need to be an awkward roof line
on the corner next to The Folly wall
where the roof passes the window frame.
Here the framework has been removed for painting.....
primer then first coats of dark blue for the exterior.
And testing the structure in place.....
is it too dark?
(Or is it jut the night?)
The frames on the windows will be the light blue,
and the interior will all be the light blue....
Here it is in the morning light... with the light blue interior....
Perhaps I just need to get used to it!
Paining the many window frame pieces......
Gluing window frames together.....
(Sorry it is so dark again!)
And Gluing the window frames to the openings!
(Even more fits and starts!)
I had hoped to get at least One of the windows completed
with glass panes, Dear Readers,
but the glass cutting was not a smooth operation!
I only had a few small pieces to work with,
and all my attempts were crooked "breaks"
so the pieces were unusable.
(Way too many Starts and Fits!)
I will have to start fresh with a large pane of glass
and plenty of "practice" material!
Here I am testing it in place again.....
Just when I was getting used to the dark blue....
the light blue frames change the whole look!
Of course, the dividers for the windows are not in place,
nor is the glass, and the roof section will be divided too....
so there are plenty of parts that will change the look
of the whole before it is done.
I guess it is still much too soon to judge....
and I do want the colors to be basically the same
as those used on the Main House.
Here you can sort of see the interior through the back roof view....
(sorry! another dark shot!)
I guess it's still too soon to tell how it will look, Dear Readers,
But at any rate, through lots of Fits and Starts,
Some Progress has been made!