Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Hinges.... Again....




Take Two....

It was a Gloriously Beautiful Day on Saturday, Dear Readers, with the promise of a three day weekend stretching before me and seemingly endless time to accomplish things Great and Small. And high on my list was finishing the window for the opening wall of The Lord's Council Chamber in the Castle. I had pretty much finished the frames and needed only to fit the glass panes (with the lead lines trimmed to a decent shape) and attach them. The upper fixed panes worked like a charm and were done in short order. So I started fitting the lower hinged window, confident that I knew what I was doing because it had worked on the previous window. Alas, there were a few small things that didn't go as planned.

Above, you can see the interior side of the window,
 hinges notched into the frame, pane fitted correctly.... 
but the window is not seating properly at all,
 and won't close fully.
Hmmm.... what is the problem here?

Upon closer inspection, from the outside of the opening panel,
 the entire frame is not screwed into the opening in the right position.
 The pivot of the hinges should be flush with the wall,
 not pushed out by a sliver.
How did that happen?

I did everything the same way I had on the other window!
Here you can see it from above.... 
it is never going to close correctly.
It was late, I was tired and annoyed. 
I went to bed and Dreamed of hinges.
 
The next morning I took the window apart again. 
And examined things a bit closer....
I found a couple of problems.
Firstly, I was wrong... 
the hinges do not form a Ninety Degree angle when fully opened...
They probably forma a Ninety-three degree angle
 (I don't have good enough measuring tools!)

So in order to have the face of the frame close flush with the wall, 
the hinge plate will have to have a slant inward
 to accommodate the extra degrees.
The simplest way to accomplish this was
 to add a "frame post" to the side of the window.

And to make sure the notches for the hinge plates had a good tilt to them.

The other small problem I found was that
 when I was drilling the holes for the screws
 (remember that I am drilling into the side of a small opening
 and could not get a perpendicular angle to the drill no matter what I tried)
 the screws happened to align with the glue layer of the plywood
 (which is much harder than the wood itself)
 and so the drill slid to the side just enough
 that the whole hinge was out of place.
Alas, I did not take a photo of this detail,
 so you will have to imagine it for yourself.
The good news is that this problem was
 also corrected by the addition of a "hinge post"
 because I could do all the drilling
 prior to inserting it into the wall!

Here you can see I am fitting the "hinge post" to the side of the window,
 ensuring that the resulting angle will equal the desired Ninety degrees.

This is the front facing view... 
yes, the hinges are large and sturdy!

Here you can see the hinges are attached to the new post
 (which will be trimmed along its side)
It is now ready to be fitted to the window opening.... 
or rather, the window opening needs to be fitted to it!
Which was another whole adventure... 
but was not the fault of the hinges 
that it did not go smoothly!
Some shims had to be employed 
when My carving techniques went awry.

This is the outer view... sorry for the blurry shot
(by now I was getting cranky!)

And the view of the interior side... with the window "ajar"...
But does it close properly...?


Yes! 
It closes perfectly!

And the open view.... 
showing the hinges correctly placed!

And getting the paint added to disguise the addition...

And the outside view..... this is the outer wall of the Castle... 
which is a long way from being "finished"....
 so we will excuse the rough finish!
Whew! (That was Rough!)
And pretty much used up those three days!

But before I leave you, Dear Readers,
 let me show you a little more of that 
Lovely Lilac in bloom...

It was such a Beautiful Day!

And maybe we can forget all about the frustrating hinges....

I can almost smell the blossoms...!

And I can Hope, Dear Readers,
 that my next attempt with the Hinges.....
 will not require so many "Takes"!


11 comments:

  1. Poner bisagras siempre me ha parecido un poco tedioso y frustrante,pero estoy segura que podrás resolver el problema,a ti te quedan muy bien!
    Gracias por las nuevas fotos de las lilas,son tan hermosas!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant solution for your hinge problem, Betsy, you're so good at this. Your reward was that the window was closing well, the paint disguised the solution, so problem solved: I now clap in my hands for your invention, skills and patience, well done!!
    Oh how lovely it must have been, seeing your beautiful miniature lilacs in bloom in the sunshine, first class enjoyment! Thank you for sharing them with us.
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! I'm so glad you figured it out! I'm going to remember that trick because it's a toss up as to which I hate more, hinges or wiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 93 degrees! I love it! Sounds silly but that 3 degrees really does make all the difference in the miniature world! I am so happy that you persisted and got things all figured out - the addition of the hinge post was genius! Someplace there must be some kind of short 90 degree bent doohickey that attaches to a screwdriver and allows you to put a screw straight into a tight spot. But who knows how to search for one when we don't even know what to call it?!? That's half the battle! The lead lines are beautiful and your lilacs in the sunshine??? Betsy's lilacs + sunshine = 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your persistence as much as your beautiful results. A long and tedious job but turned out brilliant in the end. Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did folks back in the days when they lived in castles do for hinges? Leather straps? specially forged iron, no doubt. Just curious.
    Es verdad, las lilas estan muy hermosas.
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It was late, I was tired and annoyed.
    I went to bed and Dreamed of hinges."

    Usually these would be lines taken from a fairy tale called "Betsy in Hingesland" but I'm sorry to hear that in this case dreaming of your beloved hinges did not mean the sweetest dreams for you. But dreaming still helped (what else to expect from a dreaming daydreamer) and you came along with a fabulous solution for your problem: A hinge post! What a great way to fix your 3 degrees problem (as Jodi already pointed out so well - in "our world" 3 degrees can make a big difference). My fingers are crossed that the next hinges won't cause you anymore problems and that you'll be able to fully enjoy being in the hinges again. ;O)

    And thanks for more pictures of your lilac - I've enjoyed them as much as Gabrielle and Will. And I'm not surprised that the sun too was dropping by to have a closer look... and perhaps to get a nose full of that sweet perfume.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems everything was hinging on finding the right angle and I'm SO GLAD that you were able to solve the Mystery of your castle window problem Betsy!
    The refined results were worth your 3 day's labour! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. 10/10 for your perseverance with that hinge. Such a small thing but so annoying if you hadn't stuck with it and resolved the issue. A great idea and a successful result - well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What patience you have! Just three degrees out, how frustrating...old buildings do give us trouble, nothing is standardized. I absolutely love your lilac, perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I finally managed to post a comment! It must be the magic of your blog, thank you!

    ReplyDelete