Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Fast Days.... Slow Progress....




Vacation..... Time.....

I had a Vacation Week, Dear Readers, and in my Imagination I was going to make Great Progress on all sorts of parts of my too many projects. I can tell you now, that I did make great progress on a few little things! The Three Kings stocking being one of them. It was so lovely to be able to sit and stitch every morning beside the open windows with the birds singing and soft breezes blowing. That is one of my favorite parts of Summer! I also made some good progress on adding "stones" to the many windows of the opening sides of the Castle. But those pictures are a little boring.... and the process is very time consuming. I didn't want it to be the only thing I accomplished on my week off! And the Dollmaker's Studio was calling to me.... and had been for months! In case you have forgotten, this was started as a "Quick Little Project" Dreamed up while I was in the endless weeks of only making Lilac blossoms..... but the minute I started it last summer there were suddenly a whole bunch of reasons to make it into an entire house... three stories tall... and using up many "stray" parts that had no homes. It got Complicated!


Here you can see the basic structure with the fronts open. 
I will confess, Nothing about this has been "quick" or "little"!
 And once I had built all the lovely paneling in the bottom room.... 
I could not bring myself to paint it!

But after debating with myself for Months and Months, 
I decided I really needed to go forward with
 my original inspiration and paint the paneling.
Here I have added the "stones" around the door and window frames.
And taped off the edges of the wood paneling.
It was going to take courage to slather on the primer... 
but I knew that the orange of the paneling
 would never look "right" to me..... 

Meanwhile, the three kings were progressing just beautifully!

Following that Amazing Star!

I had to close my eyes and just start painting.....!

And at first it just looks awful.... 
one coat of primer is not enough.....
(I know it is dark.... the shades are closed against the heat of the sun....)

And I had to knuckle down and tackle the windowpanes of the arched door.....
because I was going to need to paint the framework.....
 and every pane had to be carefully taped off!
It took hours!
On Both sides of the door!

After three coats of the primer.... 

 on the opening panels too...
I thought it was good enough to start on the color...
 (You must Promise not to panic when you see the next picture....!)

(Sorry... the picture is dark.... and I did not take many at this point!)

And on the doors too.... 
Clearly it was going to take several coats of paint!
(But this did not surprise me....)
And in the humid weather I had to wait
 for the paint to dry thoroughly before painting another coat.

Here in the bright light you can see the difference
 between the first and second coats of paint.
(I am finally feeling encouraged...!)

And with the Three Kings, 
the desert is done
 and the Night Sky is started....
 bringing the stars into focus!

Are three coats of green enough?

I think it is!
I have removed the painters tape....

And painted the "stones" around the windows....!
Funny how much these look like the castle Windows......

Where the stones and shutters have been added 
to the opening Wall of the Kitchen...!


And in the bright light of the morning....
I am feeling very glad I followed my Dreams
 and painted the paneling!

And the Kings are still following their Star....
 hoping for the Sky to fill in the gaps
 and bring the Stars into focus!

So That was my Vacation, Dear Readers,
The Days went quickly....
The Progress is Slow......
But sometimes it is better that way... 
We have more Journey to Enjoy in Time!


13 comments:

  1. All of it looks great but I especially like the door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time... there is never enough and it always flies by at a million miles an hour. But it sounds to me like you have learned the trick of sitting in front of the window, enjoying the sunshine and the breeze and let time slow down and pass one stitch at a time.
    I loved your timber paneling and how brave of you to take the plunge and paint it.. It is fabulous in green and I love it even more. It makes the room look so much brighter and friendlier and homely, just like I imagine a dollmaker's studio would be.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green? Hmmm.
    I can't wait to see the 3 kings all finished with the sky & stars.
    I'll take your word for the peneling...
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a productive vacation! The three kings stocking is stunning! I am so excited for when you finish it off and hang all of the stockings together on the mantle! You may yet have time for a few more before Christmas! ;O)
    I just LOVE the green paneling, and from what I remember of the burgundy and green wallpaper, it will be such a darling and cohesive union! I am so excited that you are moving ahead on the Doll Makers Cottage!
    And you got more stones and shutters installed in the castle? It was a productive vacation and it sounds like you enjoyed it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing! I love how the paneling looks and the stocking is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I really like what you are doing with the curved door!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Betsy! I love that green and think it suits perfectly, although I understand the dilemma of whether to paint or not. Vacation well spent I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, time is always a spoilsport. Going to fast and never coming back. But you have done any things.

    The green on the dollmakers studio looks great. I loved the two toned wood colour but the green looks friendlier indeed. And the three Kings are coming along nicely. Perhaps you are not as far as you would have wished, but each stitch done counts.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is another reader of your blog who is always in need for time.... ;O)!! I'm glad to read that you're having vacation, Betsy, and WOW, you were brave enough to change the color of your panelling. But why green.....has it something to do with Christmas ;)?? I personally loved the warm color of the wood as it was...(I now hope you won't be angry with me).
    The Three Kings are wonderfull in progress, I love seeing this special Christmas stocking, it's a beautiful design!!
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, you've been very productive... and on a very high quality level! ;O) It's fascinating to see the 3 Kings developing... And I can't help it... although we're trying to avoid mentioning the C-word and of course the very little time remaining until C will come along again... I'm now hearing "We 3 Kings" in my head. Rescue me!!! *LOL*

    I can understand why it was an inner battle about to paint or not to paint. But you know, sometimes we need to take the courage to face the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. At first I was thinking why on earth should Betsy want to paint this lovely paneling... but now... it had to be green. It needed to be green... how else can it become a house dedicated to you-know-what?!

    Wonderful work - and a great use of your free time. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the green on the panelling - very effective and it must have been nice to jump from task to task, each one completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The three kings stocking is a fantastic embroidery.
    The green paneling is effective and the door is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Nicely done Betsy!
    I think that the green looks calming AND very rich and the door -WOW what a job it must have been taping it all off but since it had to be done- you are the right person for the job!
    The 3 Kings Christmas stocking is advancing Beautifully and may I say that it is looking as SUPERB as all of your embroidery work which I've seen- Meticulous and Precisely done!

    ReplyDelete