Monday, December 7, 2020

Christmas Tree Lights...

 

 


 The Old Fashioned Way....


For Many many years, Dear Readers, I decorated my Christmas Trees with real candles, and on at least one Night we would light the candles and admire the indescribable beauty of real candlelight on the Tree shining brightly in the darkness. And of course, I had to include this in my Christmas Card drawings from time to time. Above is a detail from one of the earliest cards. The first seventeen years of cards were all drawn in black and white, just pen and ink, because there was no inexpensive color duplication in those days. So you would need an imagination to sense the candles lighting the tree! But after color copying became inexpensive I included the Tree lit with candles in a couple of the cards.

It is difficult to get good pictures of the details on these cards.
This was only the second or third year
 that I had painted the card in color.
But you can see the candles in this one!


Here again you can see the candles on the tree lit....
This is taking liberties with real life because
 we didn't leave the candles lit while we did other things!
Usually we had dinner first and then lit the candles
 while we sang carols around the tree.
But this was all long ago...
 the house was big,
 the trees were freshly cut from my own back yard...
Many of us would gather to celebrate.
It is quite safe if you are careful where you place the candles.

I have not put real candles on my trees
 since I moved to my small house.
Everything is too crowded.
But I can remember the light....
and I have always wanted to see if I could make them in mini...


And these mini LED light strings made it so easy!
The "bulb" is just a "blip" in the wire 
and it is easy to bend the wire back on itself.
And then I wrapped the folded wire in paper to make the "candle".


This particular string had eighteen LED's.


I added a "saucer" to catch the wax drips... 
just a card-stock circle punch wrapped around
 and glued at the base of the candle.
 
 
And I painted the candles ocher to look like beeswax.


And when I turned the batteries on....
They were wonderfully realistic!

I could not wait to test them on the Tree!
 

I hastily wrapped the string around the Castle Great Hall Tree
 (I have had this tree forever... waiting to get "candles" on it!)
But the candles did need to be attached so they
 would sit upright so they can burn safely!


Which took a little longer....
and now it is fully dark outside...


But Oh!.... the light is Magnificent and so realistic!!!
It has me completely mesmerized!
 
So I have Finally lit this tree
 the Old Fashioned way
With candles!






13 comments:

  1. oh, Betsy is is magnificent! Growing up in Scandinavia we always had real candles in the tree. I will never forget the glow from the tree but here in Australia it is way too hot and dangerous.
    You have created it beautifully on your mini tree. Where did you find that fabulous sled chain?
    Hugs,
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever, simple and ingenious way to achieve your "real" candle effect. The tree looks so lovely in place and pretty realistic too.

    The pen and ink card is particularly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a wonderful way to make safe candles for your tree. It looks very beautiful with the lights on. Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!
    And very creative. I have no further comments - carry on!
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so tempted to find a way to make this work with one of my trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Betsy, your Christmas cards have always been soooo beautiful, inlcuding the older ones. They can tall us the story of your Christmas celebrations of many years, very special.
    But what you achieved in making these realistic candle for the tree is really awesome!! They look just like the real ones we also had in my childhood (next to the tree were always a bucket with sand and one filled with water). And yes, I do remember the light who shine trhough the livingroom, soooo special and atmospheric, and just like you I'll never forget.
    Now the tree in the Castle Great Hall looks magical, ooooh, it's so beautiful, really fantastic work!!
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s awesome Betsy! Love the mini candles and the idea of full size ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea and method for getting the look of real candles, Betsy! The tree looks fantastic! And as for your art, it amazes me every time I see it. So much talent, incredible artistry, mind blowing composition. Your entire Christmas card catalog should be shown during the holidays in a local public building. Like the court house or library. They would inspire so many to honor and look back at what was important to them throughout the year. I am so excited to see what you create in the card this year. I know you will perfectly capture this strange time and how Covid has impacted our lives, yet show us how life is still beautiful and fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sooooooo looking forward to see your Christmas card for this "special" year... but until it's done it was totally great to enjoy your older cards. Your artistry is always breathtaking - whether with our without colour. Back in the days when I was still drawing I always started with the intention of using my paints this time... and ended up with a pencil drawing as always because I got lost in sketching details. *LOL*

    Thanks for sharing these cards illustrating so well what you try to say about Christmas lights. I'm old enough to have memories of real ones at the trees... but I must admit that I really like the small LED-lights these days appearing to be tiny sparkling stars too. And your method of creating a real-candle-look for your tree is awesome! You're a genius, they look stunning and are perfect for this special tree. I've so enjoyed admiring it... and I especially like the bird hangers. Here in Germany bird ornaments made of glass on a clip are very traditional Christmas ornaments - but one should take care that they're looking in the right direction... towards Bethlehem of course. Well, I must admit it... I don't always manage to get this done. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Estoy deseando poder admirar tu tarjeta navideña de éste año, son tan magníficas todas las que has hecho hasta ahora!!
    La idea de iluminación es genial, el árbol luce de manera fantástica!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my word your candles are lovely. I tried making real candles once, they were a disaster. I remember real candles on the Christmas tree when I was a little girl. They fitted into a metal cup attached to a clip, like a hair slide.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your candles are very beautiful and perfect on the Christmas tree. Now the atmosphere is magic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Betsy,

    Real candles in the tree are such a luxury. When I was young my grandmother had electric lights and candles in the christmas tree. Before dinner, the electric lights would be turned of and the candles lit. Then we would unpack the presents and have a drink until we would be summoned at the table. Then the candles would be extinguishes again so that the house would not be in risk of burning down during christmas dinner. ;-)

    So I wholeheartedly agree. the light of rea lcandles is magical. unfortunately I never pu candles in our christmastree. But the memories of that soft and golden glow will never be forgotten.

    The christmas lights you have made for the minitree are mind blowing. They work really well. Beautiful!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete