Doors Require Hinges... (I love hinges!)
I Think I mentioned, Dear Readers, that I was going to want access to the area behind the knee-walls in order to be able to reach the wiring that passes through that space. I decided that sooner was better than later for tackling the construction of the doors... the sort of task that brings a complete halt to further decoration if left undone! Above you can see the "workroom" wall removed (these walls are not glued in place) in order to measure and add a "brace" for the wall to butt against to keep it in the upright position. (Without a brace the wall can twist and not stay vertical.)
Here you can see both the walls removed
and the knee-wall brace being tested.....
Here you can see the primitive wiring that I am going to need to upgrade...!
The Lovely Old Dollhouse is the first house I tried to do any electrical wiring,
so it has been a learning project from the start.
The main wire for the outlet strip you see here
is buried in the walls all the way down to the base of the house....
(I carved a channel and glued the wires in prior to decorating the lower floors).
This is the only plug strip for all the attic wiring!
I am pretty sure my upgrade will consist of splicing the extension wires
at this point rather than having these plugs which just come loose all the time.
Whether I add more outlets for each attic room
and run new channels down the exterior walls is still undecided.
It will depend in part on the total bulb count of the lights
and the size of the transformer... I might need to get a larger transformer.
But meanwhile, I just needed to have access to the space behind the walls!
Here you can see the doorway cut in the wall,
as well as a glimpse of the brace the wall butts against on the right...
And with the doors cut... testing for fit...
And with hinges attached....!
And with the doors open!
(I Love hinges!)
And I needed to repeat the process for the bedroom side of the attic....!
Here you can see the Bedroom wall is temporarily removed to fit the bracing.
Nothing is glued in place yet because
there are so many decisions about the wiring
that I need to settle first!
For now the wiring is just extensions
plugged into the plug strip in the hallway.
And with the furniture in place.... the doors are barely noticeable!
Hidden behind the furniture....
But I know they are there!
And in Pollyanna's Workroom too....
hidden behind all the tables...!
But Pollyanna isn't thinking about the doors at all...
She is trying to get started assembling some little furniture kits.
She is thinking she might need some better lighting....
and she is wondering if she has the right kind of glue!
So you can see, Dear Readers,
(even though you can barely see them)
I now have my access doors...
And I got to play with hinges!