Monday, October 5, 2020

License To Crenellate....

 

 


 Castle Fortifications Continued....

I always Hope, Dear Readers, when I have a week of Vacation, that I will be able to make a decent, noticeable amount of progress on one or another of my many mini building projects. And I can happily report that on my recent week off I was able to pull out my big saws and Finally, cut the Crenelations for the roof tops of my Castle! This required a fair amount of cutting cardboard mock-ups to test the different sizes of and numbers of and spacing of the crenelations. Math was only part of it... they needed to look right... not too wide not too small... and I think I got it right. Above you can see the first Tower with the crenelations attached on the three sides. They are screwed firmly to the framework of the structure. They are unconvincingly "thin" as just the plywood... and eventually I will probably add foamcore to thicken them up without adding too much weight. But that is a long way down the road. 

 
Here you can see a closer view....
I have had to leave the front sections "removable"
in part because I will want to have easy access to the space,
 and in part because the top rooms are not built yet 
and I will need to be able to remove the ceilings and the fronts...
 for however long this takes me to finish!
 
Slitherwing has not been making this easy!

I had to pull the sections of the Castle apart from one another
 in order to be able to access the back sides.


Here you can see I have started on the crenelations 
for the back of the Great Hall Section.
(Some of you will notice my New cordless drill...)


Here you can see I had to make some complicated pieces
 for the sections on top of the "buttresses" where the privies are located
 at the back of the Castle Great Hall.


This is a closer view... we never get to see the back of the Castle!
(It hangs at the edge of the cliffs above the ocean....)
 
And here I am testing the crenelations for the front of the Great Hall.
They had to have a complicated set of
 "temporary" attachers (ie hooks and eyes)
to keep them from falling off.
 
This construction process took days and days.
But I was determined to not give up 
before they were all cut and fitted!
 

And it always amazes me the difference it makes
 to have the "front" panel attached!


It looks so much taller.....


Seriously grander.....


Even Forbidding!
As a Castle should be.


I have to stand on my chair to even reach the top!
Finally, Dear Readers, it really looks like a Castle.
I am so glad the Castle Lord got permission to Crenelate...
And I had the time to make it happen!



9 comments:

  1. Wow!!! sí que has trabajado duro,el castillo con las almenas se ve imponente, grandioso, magnífico en tamaño y proporciones, que gran trabajo estás haciendo, ansío cada adelanto que haces!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of course it hangs off the edge of a cliff!!!! I am so sorry I haven't dropped past your blog for some time. Holiday and life 'got in the way'. The castle is looking epically spectacular!
    Hugs, Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. Like a castle. Will you eventually be covering all that plywood with "stones?"
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this must be so much work, to make it all fit in place. This is really a huge castle, Betsy, it's spectacular!!
    Stay safe, take care, Betsy!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be a very difficult job if you have to use big saws. It's a big magnificent castle.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That's gorgeous! The outside matches the inside. It looks so castle-like!

    Talk about progress. And congrats on the new cordless drill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made a terrific job - no surprise you got the license to crenellate! And although nobody would ever expect anything else from you than fantastic, stunning results it was of course better for you that all your work and measuring paid off - I would not want to know what the building instructor aka Slitherwing would have down to you if he hadn't been satisfied with the result... *gulp*

    It's amazing what difference the crenellates make, it looks so much more like a castle now. So much that this really shouts for a castle banner/flag btw... *grin* And it was great to get a look at the back side which as we learned will hang over the ocean; this will be very comfortable regarding the privies. It made me smile that you did not forget this kind of detail - and it reminded me of a report I once saw about the castle of Predjama, situated in a mountain. The most famous owner was Erasmus von Luegg, a robber baron who could not be caught although there was a siege of the Emperor's troups in front of the castle (there were too many emergency escapes leading through the mountain so they still had food etc. in the castle). The legend says there was a traitor among the servants giving a sign to the soldiers when his master was visting the privy - and they bombed away the whole oriel.

    Oh, and not to forget: A heartwarm welcome to your new drill - may it always be helpful and at hand when you need it! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice to see the whole building - it certainly is some structure and looks just fab. The crenellations are perfect.

    ReplyDelete