Tuesday, April 13, 2021

A Stirring Tale...

 


Of Rescue...

You May or may Not recall, Dear Readers, that this Dollmaker's Studio project is a hodge-podge of leftover and lonely pieces mixed with Special kits (Sandra's kit that inspired the project) and Artisanal creations (the beautiful ook arched glass door on the ground level) to name a couple. It is also a venue for ordinary salvage, in this case a batch of coffee-stirrer sticks from work which were about to be tossed out because they fell on our floor (where barn boots regularly tread). I looked at them and thought "I can probably use those"! So they came home with me. I thought they would make a great rustic floor in some project or another. But there are not too many of them... and I belatedly realized that not all coffee-stirrer sticks are the same dimensions or type of wood. I had no idea what "make" these were, so what I got is what there is to use. It needed a small-ish floor area to work... and one where a different type of flooring one room to the next would not matter. So I started to test these pieces in the upstairs room. And because this is a small-ish project, but one filled with fancy details, I wanted the floor to be special too. I had long wanted to try a "herring-bone" floor, and this would be the perfect place to give it a try.

Here is the interior (sorry for the dark view...!)
with Sandra's alcove placed at the back and the window seat at the right.
(Neither are firmly attached yet.)
The space is about 9 inches by 13 inches give or take a little.


And with the morning sun hitting the spot!


So I started to cut some stirrer-sticks to see if this might work.
At one inch sections, I get seven per stick.
But I have to cut them by hand... and the stirrers
 are not identical or perfect in their dimensions.
(But I think that will add to the charm of the end product!)


Here I have laid out a very tentative section
 to see how the spacing and size will work.
I think they will look lovely!
But I have a LOT of cutting to do!
I estimate about 85 sticks will be needed.... 
each making seven pieces...
And there will be the inevitable spoiled and wrong length ones.


I think this is about twenty sticks.


I think this is about forty sticks.....
I made a system of cutting five sticks at a sitting....
Measure, cut, sand.... each one making seven pieces.
And since I spent so much time in my
 RL Garden these past weekends,
 I did not get much else done!
But it is a start!


I love it, Dear Readers, 
that the sticks that fell on the Floor by accident...
Can become the floor by Design!
A Stirring rescue all around!


13 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy, A serendipitous accident with the stirrer sticks falling to the floor. Janine thinking “ did Betsy speculate on the possibility of the stirrer sticks being perfect for herringbone flooring? “
    Janine thinking again, “ no, definitely not as if she did knock them accidentally to the floor she would have made sure there were ample to cover the said floor!”
    A great project Betsy, they will be lovely.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. El accidente fortuito de que se cayeran los palitos del café, te ha dado una gran idea! Un suelo de espina de pescado funcionará genial para la habitación, bonito proyecto!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great project of a beautiful floor that came as a result of a fortuitous accident!! That´s good luck. I know is a lot of work, but I´m sure the result will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky accident. A great idea using the stirrers to make the herring bone design floor. I know the end result will be worthy of the hard work.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  5. That floor is going to be absolutely beautiful and will be well worth the great amount of effort you've put into it. Very inspiring. Thank you for sharing. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try coffee stirrer sticks for flooring. When I had to cut a bunch of tongue depressors at once I taped them together and cut six or seven at once. Of course then I had to take the tape off...

    I'm excited to see how your herringbone floor turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! The floor will be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love a good rescue! And what a perfectly charming floor this is going to be for this wonderfully charming room!!! Have fun with the process! I love a good audiobook or podcast when doing projects like these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Al final te has decidido por un suelo muy bonito aunque muy laborioso.
    Animo.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This floor is going to become so beautiful... and I really love that you're doing this with rescued stirrers. Would have been such a shame to throw these pieces of wood coming from trees groing for years into the garbage bin. Now they'll have a second life in an outstanding miniature project and according to me that's so much better than drowning in coffee or tea and being thrown away afterwards. ;O)

    The beginnings of your heringbone floor already gives an idea how it will look in the end. And it was great to see the whole building again. Btw I feel with you about the stirrers sizes - I have the same problems with the ones I used and am still using (but I'm reaching the end - yippiiiieeee!!!) for the Beary House's facade. I've bought some in a big bag and they are far away from being of the same size.

    Have fun with the cutting... believe me... the joy of cutting the last ones is incredible! *grin*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, pergectly good way to use stirrers that would otherwise be frown away. And that floor! It is quite some work but the result will be fantastic. I have no doubt about that.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Betsy, I always LOVE this sort of 'accidents', it happens to me too. Than I firstly am disappointed, but than I see it gives me more opportunities, and see for yourself: you find yourself now making a wonderful floor!! Just like you, I was also working in my garden this last week, so this time I am late in commenting AND once more time your blog post did not show up on my blog readers roll, and not only your blog......oh, it's soooo frustrating to have this blog issue!! But okay, I won't bother you with my blog issues, because as I read on Jodi's blog you had your share of this too..?
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, that's where the parquet floor came from! An accidental spill at work. Waste not want not! The end product is lovely.
    xoxoxox
    Mom

    ReplyDelete