Monday, April 19, 2021

Herringbone Floor....

 


 Under Construction....

As you can see, Dear Readers, in the picture above, I briefly experimented with the idea of running the zigs and zags of the Herringbone pattern in the opposite direction. But I quickly decided that the initial pattern was the correct direction. I added a whole bunch of pieces to see if it made sense to try to count and space the rows before starting to glue them down. I estimated the distance from one zig to the next zag and measured a whole bunch of 3/4 inch spaced lines across the floor. While doing this I realized that I wanted to have a border of plain wood strips all around the edges. This would make all those tiny ending triangles less likely to chip and fall off the front edge at the very least. So I started there, gluing the edging in place.

 
 
I also remembered that I needed a hearth at the chimney side of the room,
 and made one to butt the floor up against. 
This is not attached yet so I can remove it to paint
 without worrying about the floor!


There are enough bump-outs and odd corners in this room
 that it makes sense to me to have a clean edge
 to work from with the herringbone pattern.
I made the edge two "boards" wide.
And then I started gluing the herringbone pattern...
starting roughly in the middle.


I made a little "square" out of legos
 (I raided my son's stash!)
which proved invaluable for keeping the rows aligned!


(My son has tons of fancy legos, 
so I was able to add a handy handle!)


There is really no fast way to do this!
Especially since my pieces are a little irregular...
They needed to be tested for fit before adding the glue.
And you need to be very careful to not get glue
 on the "right" side of the wood!


I got this far on the first day.


I love the way it is looking!
But I needed to see how the edges were going to work...


All those tiny pieces by the doorway....
And you have to get the wood grain running in the correct direction...


I'm not sure I'll be able to fill those tiny gaps at the corners...


Oh look! I did fill one of them!


And all the rest of the back alcove is finished too!


But that's as far as I got on day two, Dear Readers.
The herringbone floor is under construction...
and is more than half done!
I just Love the way it is looking!


16 comments:

  1. It's looking just beautiful, Betsy! I love the border idea, too! Can't wait to see next weekend's progress and to see what kind of stain you'll be using! It's going to look so pretty! And who knew that we'd go from bitter, late night cursing of rogue Legos painfully encountered under bare feet on the way to the bathroom, to extolling their helpful virtues in the employment of our hobby. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s fabulous Betsy..... well done on the tiny triangle successfully placed.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me encanta como se ve ése suelo Betsy, el patrón de espiga fuciona fabuloso!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The work involved in a herringbone pattern is extensive and it is time consuming...but oh the results are worth it! A beautiful looking floor! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful! I love it. Good idea to do the strips of wood around the border of the room. It looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! The hard and tedious work will be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Betsy this is also a clever way of using the "loaned" Legos of your son. Yes, these tiny bricks can be very useful, I use them almost all the time since I got them from my son and for lot of purposes. I like seeing your Legos have a vase of flowers on top, so your work is accompanied with a floral touch ;O).
    The herringbone floor looks beautiful so far, and you even filled in, those teeny corners, how good of you. I know it's very timeconsuming but you did a good job/lots within to days, wow. It is tedious, but also meticulous work to do, this floor will be beautiful.
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy, and keep making minis!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Se ve precioso.
    Un gran trabajo.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The floor looks already awesome! Absolutely stunning - and adding those teeny tiny end bits was worth the effort, it looks as if you had professional workers in that room. ;O) And most of all I am in awe with your working speed - achieving so much in so little time... especially regarding that you also needed some time to steal... eh... borrow the Lego bricks from your son... *LOL* Great idea to add a "handle". Keep on having fun! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  10. The floor looks beautiful Betsy, worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! I wish I had that floor in my living room!
    On to the next blog I missed...
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. The floor looks amazing. What patience to do it!

    ReplyDelete