Wednesday, July 29, 2026

The Chapel...

 


Details.... 

When we last looked closely at the Adam and Eve mural in The Chapel, Dear Readers, there was a whole list of missing little details that needed completing. And it wasn't even a complete list, if I am honest! I had ignored a whole layer of coverage on the greenery in the main portion of the mural. Those vines and roses were all still needing the second coat of their base pigments. This was obvious to me as soon as I looked closely with an eye to "getting this painting done!" Fortunately, the designs were fairly straight-forward and just needed matching the hues which was also a quick process. I am always astonished at how much better the painting looks with the second layers! After that it was just the remaining details on the leaves and the grapes (the roses were already done) and then the Tree and the ground itself.

 
Here the leafy vines and the grapes have received their layers...

 
And here the Tree itself has had more layers painted and 
the details in the leaves, the figs in particular have been finished.
 This makes the Paradise portion of the painting complete! 
But I still have a long list for the Earthly Living portions below. 
At least I have decided that this is the right hue for
 the blue background, so no more layers are needed there. 
It was surprisingly difficult for me
 to hone in on Adam delving and Eve spinning. 
This is partly because I need to keep reminding myself
 that I am attempting to paint a more primitive
 style vignette than is normal for me.
This needs to be stark, stylized and all about the narrative. 
They are evicted from Paradise for their disobedience
 and now they must live forever in the harsh world of work and pain. 
They clearly are not happy about this. 
I am not happy about this!
 And since it is late, I leave it for the next day.
 (Rushing is always a recipe for ruination in mini painting!)

 
And as I am pondering the painting the following day, 
I am reminded that this is the Corner of the Castle.... 
and the Corner posts have not been "strengthened" 
the way they were on the other Castle Tower structure! 
This is another one of those oversights in the original design. 
The more I study the problem, the more I am convinced 
that this corner needs "augmentation" and it needs it
 before the Chapel is declared "finished" 
and all the parts glued in place! 

 
In the above picture you can see that the lovely painted 
ceiling vault ribs don't land very securely on that corner post. 
I know, this will be hardly visible once the Chapel is done....
 but now that I have noticed it I can't leave it as is!

 
I decided to use some of the fancy trim I used on 
the supporting post in the middle of the Chapel 
to "beef up" the post without making it huge
 like the corner posts of the Guard Room. 
I cut a capital from a scrap of plywood and
 am testing the position in the above picture. 
There will be a second trim piece along the inside 
of the post, but I need to carve away some of the 
wall trim before it will fit in place.

 
Here the inner piece has been fitted... 
I carved away a piece of the wall trim.

 
And the column will need a better "footing".... 
again to copy the model of the central column... 
which necessitated carving back the 
"bondo" stone flooring in that corner....!

 
And all the pieces together will look like this... 
tucked in against the outer opening wall doorway
 once it is attached in place.

 
And the upper portion.... 
though I need to adjust that capital! 
And the "stonework" needs to be painted.

 
 And here I am gluing the new corner pieces in place.... 
again, the shapes are too challenging for my clamps.... 
but this worked to apply the necessary pressure!

 
 Which left me no more excuses for avoiding
 painting Adam's and Eve's details.... 
starting with their "clothing". 
The Bible says the Lord provided them
 with animal skins to cover their nudity. 
(Clearly, the fig leaves were not going to work!)

 
Here you can see I have attempted to render "fur" 
possibly sheep pelts (?) to cover their nakedness. 
And I have added a little to Adam's shovel
 and the distaff Eve is holding.  

 
And as usual, once I got started 
I forgot to take progress pictures.... 
the plants in the ground... 
the leaves on the trees... 
Eve's wool fibers.... 
and Gabriel's wings and hair and halo,
 not to mention the Gates of Eden itself.... 
even the Serpent received an extra layer of paint
 and a beady eye as he slithers out of Paradise 
into the Earthly Realm.

 
And a final coat of gold paint
 on the border around the mural. 
Must I now call it done? 
The closer one gets to "finished"
 the harder it is to know when to stop...
 But, yes, I am calling it done!

 
And with the ceiling in place, Dear Readers, 
we can see how the panels relate to each other...

 
And farther back, with more of the ceiling visible....
 and the other walls too....

 
And a view of the entire Chapel....

 
There is still one little corner of the Ceiling painting,
 that needs to be completed...
 the lower corner of The Last Judgement panel
 where the Demons are Devouring Lost Souls.... !
 
But that will have to wait for another day, Dear Readers,
Because we have not quite reached the End.... 
of all The Chapel Details!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment