Monday, July 6, 2020

More Little Bits......




Details....

I am Sure Most of you, Dear Readers, will Not be surprised to see that I did add another plant to the Cottage Tea Cosy garden! I added a Pink rose to the gap next to the delphiniums. I do like my gardens filled to overflowing with blossoms! And then I started on the background cream color. It did not take me long to complete it. And all the while I was stitching this cottage, I was thinking what an utterly charming Dollhouse it would make! A little thatched cottage amid a bountiful blooming garden... I was so tempted to start one! Then I remembered I already have one unfinished Thatched Cottage... without the garden... *sigh*..... so I contented myself with Dreaming of a thatched cottage garden in all it's glory (a little like my RL garden at the moment!)

Here I have finished the stitching... 
but have not assembled it yet.
And then because I really am addicted to the stitching at the moment, 
I dug through my stash of kits
 and started on another Janet Granger Christmas Stocking...
(Not because I am starting to prepare for Christmas, you understand...!)

This time it is the Three Kings!
And I must say going from stitching 32 count
 to 40 count cloth is a noticeable change!
 
I am really enjoying working on this one!

And while it is a Boring detail...
 I have also added the arch stones to the Guard Room windows.

Just the key stone is still needing to be added to this window.
And then I will need to re-attach the shutters too.
(And the opening wall window is done.... but I forgot to take pictures...)

The key stone has been added here...
 and while I am looking at all the Details in this room.... 
I am reminded that the junction of the wall and ceiling has always bothered me!

See the uneven crack between the poorly fitted
 arch support stones and the vaulted ceiling?
I have been pondering how to correct this problem for years and years!
And because I had resolved to add these supporting arch stones
 to the Great Hall Ceiling before I Attach that in place....
 I had already painted the strip of wood I thought would work.
 But the Great Hall Ceiling is not ready... 
so I thought I would test this method here... 
and correct this problem at the same time... if it worked.
Which you can't be sure until you cut and attach the pieces....
I have made a start in the above picture... there on the left...
(I know it is infernally dark in there even with the spotlight!)

Because I am cutting one stone at a time, 
I can fit them closer to the ceiling...
 and with a little gentle carving and trimming 
I can even out the disparity in the main archway....
 at least mostly!
And it covers that awful gap!

I will re-paint the spacing of the "grout" lines to match the cut pieces.

But first I have to also add these stones to the side wall.

And these required extra trimming
 because the ceiling design is closer to the edge...


I wanted to make sure the "stones" 
did not cover any of the painted design.

It just squeaks by!
(But I rather like the way the Circle and the Arch just touch!)

And I told you I would repaint the Vault Stones "grout" lines...
Starting with the dark shadow line over each stone junction.

And along the side wall too....

And with the lights on.... well, Some of them!
The "grout" lines have all been painted...
 even between all the stones added to the doors and window frames.

Now the torches are lit.... can we see the details...?
(Darn Castles are so Dark!)

I do think it makes a Vast Improvement! 
Even though it is something nobody will ever ever notice!

And as always, it is hard to see the ceiling!
But at least it now looks properly supported!

(I do need to admire this ceiling a little bit!)

I am So glad this "fix" worked!

Eventually I will get the shutters re-attached.... 
and build the ones for the Front window!

It took a whole Pile of Little Bits of "stone", Dear Readers,
but these little Details make a Huge amount of difference!
(Now I just need to Finish painting the Great Hall Ceiling too!)



12 comments:

  1. Betsy you have got the stone fitting down to a quick process now and are certainly on a roll! I love it! The arch does look so much more authentic being dimensional, not to mention fixing the gap issue perfectly! You've only given more proof to all of us that if you are patient long enough, the answers will come! The new grout looks great and it's kismet that the stones did not interfere at all with that fabulous painted ceiling design!
    As for the tea cosy and it's pretty pink roses... What a lovely pop of color against the cottage wall! I love a lush, full garden, too. I just can't grow one, lol! I am excited to see the cosy assembled and am looking forward to seeing the new stocking develop, too!
    Good luck with the next batch of stone fitting and shutters and have fun with the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Betsy,

    The tea cosy is coming along nicely! I also prefer a garden to be abundant with flowers and flowering trees and shrubs. I can't wait to start on the new garden after we have moved there next year.

    The double row of stone arches turns out to be right thing to do! At the first picture (I have to confess) I was doubtful if it would work. But seeing it develop every reservation I had turned out to be unnescessary. The result is stunning. And they look quite natural in relation to the ribs of the vault. Good luck with the next fase of the stone cutting!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  3. The embroidery of the thatched cottage on the tea cosy is beautiful, Betsy, and I also love seeing this Christmas stocking with the three kings, I've never seen this design before.
    Wow, what a lot of work on the arch stones to the Guard Room windows, but these things make a building interesting and therefor it's worthed the effort to do so. And there are a lot of these sort of arched stones in your Castle, so I do understand it's a repeating and boring job. But seeing this room again with its beautiful painting along the ceiling is a feast for the eyes for us.
    Stay safe, dear Betsy, take care!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful stitching Betsy! I admire all those neat, counted stitches - not a skill I possess. And well done on fixing the ceiling stones! I know how it is when something isn’t right and it keeps bugging you. Sometimes you just have to get in and get the job done, no matter how tedious. The outcome is definitely worth the effort! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaahhhhhrrrrggghhhh... you mentioned the forbidden C-word!!! Help! Only so little time left!!! Did I already shout Aaaaahhhhhrrrrggghhhh???!!! *LOL*

    Bravo for finishing this tea cozy in a wink of an eye, you're so good with these kits and I really love how it turned out. Not only that it's good that you've got your own personal touch in it making it a true ooak - but the additional flowers are such an improvement. I bet you will not be surprised that I too love a garden to be in full bloom (although I must admit I also love the Asian and especially Japanese garden culture... these gardens are beautiful in their own way even to us who don't know about the meanings and symbols in there... But although I admire them and find them good for the soul I would never want my garden that style... I need flowers... and the insects need them too... eh... where was I...) Did you know that in Germany we have a traditional style of gardens related to farms which you could call in English cottage garden or litterally translated farmer's garden. They have a hedge ore fence around them to keep the wind and the chicken out and were run by the farmer's wives with herbs and vegetables needed for the household but also with many colourful plants which are still referred until today as farm garden plants, for example hollyhocks, hydrangeas and peonies. It's also typical to have low boxwood hedges and an ornamental scheme like in the noble gardens.

    And bravo for taking the courage to solve your problem with the gap... what an improvement! Isn't it amazing what a great job strips of wood can do when pretending to be stone... or bricks? *grin* It's for sure a thing nobody not familiar with the building process would ever notice - which would not be a lack of appreciation but a case of "it should be there and we expect it to be there". So it may not be noticed that it's there... but it would be such a difference if it wasn't... not to mention the fact that it would have been bothered you for ages. A wonderful solution with a fantastic result. I am always in full admiration when the results of all your work and dedication show up so well in the close-ups.

    And now I can only tell you to "Rock on"... and of course "Happy stitching"! And who knows... while you're doing this a little dreaming about gardens for a thatched cottages? Please notice the plural! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your solution is working out perfectly. I love the pictures with the torches lit. Great atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very lovely ceiling. I had forgotten about it, with all the emphasis on the stonework; it IS too bad that nobody will notice those little details. But you can get one of those dental mirrors for looking in the back of teeth, to view your obscure details any time!
    The Christmas stocking is awesome!
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betsy el bordado de la cabaña de `paja se ve tan hermoso!!! Y la nueva media de navidad es muy bonita!!
    Que gran trabajo has hecho con las piedras,realmente es muy difícil que todo encaje a la perfección,pero con tesón lo has logrado!! Y las fotos de la habitación con la pintura del techo,las antorchas encendidas...se ve impresionante!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The embroidery is wonderful and the ceiling is a small masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, dear Betsy, it is all in the detail. Both the fine addition of flowers in the tiny stitched cottage garden to solving the 'gap' issue makes an enormous difference.
    Hugs, Anna X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betsy I BEG of you PRETTY PLEASE with a cherry on top - add an overhead lighting fixture inside this room so that we can see YOUR AMAZING ZODIAC CEILING!
    It's just not right to have done all that work and not be able to fully appreciate the BEAUTY of your Painted MASTERPIECE spanning the width of this castle room.
    The torches are perfectly atmospheric yet just not enough light to view your night sky above!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing like a bit of forward planning for Christmas is there? Best of luck with your Christmas stocking - full speed ahead! The ceiling in the Castle is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete