Wednesday, November 3, 2021

New Project....

 


Embroidery Again...

A Couple of Months ago, Dear Readers, a co-worker at the School where I work, the Fiber Arts Teacher, brought me a gift because she knew I had an interest in dollhouse miniatures. It was a very old and out of production kit for an oriental carpet in petit-point made by the House of Miniatures back in the eighties. My eyes lit right up! Wow! What a beautiful design! It was amongst a whole pile of boxes full of cloth and yarns donated by an elderly woman who had been a crafter for years but was moving to an assisted living home and needed to down size her supplies.

It's an old style chart with only the symbols
 because it predates color copying.

The fabric itself was printed with a rough guide of color placement...


And it only had a small amount of stitching which had been done
 and needed to be carefully undone.
 The woman had not been experienced
 and the stitching was not done right.
The only difficulty was that the original yarns for the kit had been lost
 and were no longer with the rest of the pieces.
I was sure I could probably find some yarns that would work!
But when I started to hunt for appropriate yarns,
 I was discouraged to find that local shops didn't carry the proper weight yarn...
 and figuring out colors on-line was going to be a real challenge.
I mentioned this difficulty to my friend and she said
 she thought she'd seen some yarns in the boxes
 that might be the missing pieces.
I went to look and sure enough.... 
there were the yarns!
Yay!
 

Such beautiful colors!
And I never would have known how much to buy!
You can imagine that I began to stitch
 as soon as I could get the cloth on my frame!


It is taking a little getting used to stitching on a printed cloth!
Fortunately, the instructions warn you that
 the colors might not exactly match where they should be stitched.
 It is too tricky to get the cloth threads to match the printing exactly.
So you still need to count very carefully to determine the correct placement.
 

 And the other tricky aspect of the chart is that
 it is only printed for one quarter of the carpet!
You need to "reverse" the images for the other quarters!


I am gradually getting the hang of it.
And because the chart is hand drawn....
It has a few errors too....
places where the color doesn't match what is on the cover picture... 
or stitches are missing altogether!


But I'm told that this is part of the fun of the genuine Oriental rugs... 
they have small "imperfections" in the patterns and colors!
So if I leave something out or get the placement a little wrong...
It just adds to the authenticity!


I am just Loving this pattern!


Especially once you start to get the contrast
 with the dark background colors!


And because I am sure you will want to know
 that I did complete the stitching of the little cushion...
I thought I would show you both together!
(I still have to stitch the pillow to its backing...)


Here you can see the completed cushion close up.
I think I like the way the colors turned out
 better than the original design would have been!
So that's what I have been playing with, Dear Readers,
 a new (Old) Embroidery Project!


10 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy, what a wonderful gift and how lucky the original yarns could be found and rescued. It certainly is a beautiful pattern and I am quite certain you will do it justice - imperfections or not.
    The little cushion turned out beautiful. I agree with you on the colours. I think, I mentioned before that I liked your colour variations better than the original on the picture.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful gift exactly right for you. Also wonderful that the yarns were found. In your hands it will turn out stunning.
    The little pillow is very beautiful.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be so beautiful, Betsy, and there is no better person for the kit to have found a home with! You are an answered prayer! The pillow cover is also just lovely and will make any chair the favorite one in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that this needlework came into your appreciative and talented hands.
    The original owner would have been happy it found you…. With the help of friends too of course.
    Amazing also that the yarn had not been discarded or sold.
    This will be a true treasure, with a history.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Es un diseño maravilloso,los colores son vibrantes,que suerte tener los hilos originales!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's amazing! And it looks gorgeous.

    I imagine the nice thing is being able to reuse the pattern on slightly different fabric and thread weight. So you could reproduce it in a larger size if you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! A perfect gift for you. Good fun!
    The pillow cover is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. El diseño y el colorido de la alfombra es precioso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful rug! such a rare find. And what good fortune that the original yarns were not lost! That would have been very diffivult to replace. Although, selecting good colours would have worked in the end. The cushion is but one of many reasons to show that you are very good in choosing and combining colours.

    I happen to have complete kit of a HOm carpet as well. A different design though, I thought the pattern printed on the canvas would make it easier (my embroiderohobia talking). But now I understand that it could make it more difficult rather than easier. :-)

    I look forward to seeing the progress on this rug.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  10. great project with great colors!

    ReplyDelete