Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Fringes And Tassels....

 


 Finishing Details.....

I Completed the Fringe on the lovely antique carpet, Dear Readers, but it seems that I haven't yet found a good photo location for getting good pictures of this beautiful project. You might be aware that it doesn't quite have a "destination" in any of my current projects! How could this be, you ask? Well, I was given this kit completely unexpectedly by a co-worker who was given it with a bunch of quilting materials. It is fairly large by doll house standards, being 8 inches by ten inches. Unless it is to cover the entire floor, the room has to be a good bit larger, which is rare in kits. My Castle has large floor areas, but they are usually "inhabited" in the Medieval times when these carpets were not yet discovered. Add to that the reluctance to cover the entire carpet with furnishings and obscure the beautiful pattern. So, this is a puzzle I will have to solve! For now, be assured that it is finished, fringe and all, and I just love the way it turned out!

And by the time I was finished with all that fringe, I had become rather good at the "fringe stitch" which led me to start the fringe on another carpet I had completed months ago and never showed you.

I believe I was working on this carpet last summer
 and had decided to change the design just a little bit from the kit instructions.
It is one of Janet Granger's kits and the
 central medallion was much simpler in her design.
There were only the red roses and fewer leaves, 
and the whole was surrounded with an area that
 had scattered single stitches of the pale pink in the pale ground.
I just didn't like those dots of pale pink!
But I felt it needed something in all that space...
 but perhaps I went overboard
 and put too much "something" in the space...!
Anyway, I added all those pale pink roses
 and scattered buds
 and pale leaves...
I will admit it might not be my best design alteration.
And I am sure Sally May will love it anyway... 
once I get it done and into her Living room!
All it needs is the fringes... 
which I had been procrastinating about
 while I stitched other carpets.
So I've made a start!
But Heaven knows, one can't Only do the fringe stitch!
So I've also been finishing
 the little Elephant Tea Cozy!


The instruction page is generic for the "tea cosy kits"
 and doesn't show the Elephant.
It says to stitch the two sides together
 using the thread of the background color.
Well, the Elephant is the background except around his legs!
I decided it would look terrible to have either a green stripe
 all along the back of the Elephant and down his face,
 or the gray stripe running up through the grass at the bottom!
So I carefully stitched with green at the bottom
 and gray all the rest of the way around.


Here the sides have been stitched together, 
but I didn't get a good shot of the seam... 
the light is too much from the side and the Elephant kept falling over!


And ever since I started this kit, 
I have felt that it would need to have
 a "Tassel" as a handle at the top.
And when I used the glittery embroidery threads
 to add some sparkle to the saddle,
 it seemed obvious that they would also serve for the tassel.
I have started to make one in the above picture...
 can you spot it there?
And I wanted it to attach with beads...
Which was a little tricky, 
because I hadn't thought it through...
which end attached to which part first....


But I think I made something that works!
(Unless you think it looks like a rather large night-cap...!?)


I do think it is rather cute! 
Even though it still tips over too easily....


Perhaps he is just missing the right teapot to cover!

As you can see, Dear Readers,
 I have been getting very carried away
 with the finishing details... 
Fringes and Tassels just add so much!


7 comments:

  1. The fringe is what turns a rug into a carpet. It is gorgeous!
    I also love the unfinished rug and think the fringe looks good on it.
    The little tea cozy looks lovely. Beautiful design and beautiful work.
    Hugs,
    Drora




























    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all beautiful Betsy, especially the tea cozy. I think the bead and tassel are perfect and the elephant would be very pleased to be finished off so regally. It’s the detail that always makes something special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh betsy I love your additions to the pink/green rug - it is so whimsical and lovely! I love the pattern and your additions just made it extra special! And I know you will come up with the perfect home for the blue rug - even if you have to create a special project just for it! The fringe is just gorgeous! The tea cozy has to be my favorite - it is so much fun!!! The tassel and bead are just adorable, and I hope you find the perfect teapot to display it on soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I especially love the tassel on the teapot cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooooooo... a whole carpet and so far we did not even know it existed because you did not show it??? But okay, better late than never - and it would have been a shame not to show this very lovely rug. I bet Sally May is over the moon that she's the one who will receive this beautiful piece - it's perfect for her.

    And speaking of perfect, the fringes on both carpets are for sure the cherry on the cream. I'm always in awe with your work amount and speed - but even more with your fantastic ideas and additions. The tassel for the elephant cozy is a brilliant addition... and the whole piece is awesome. And don't worry about gravity... as soon as you've found the matching teapot it will stand proud and tall... and as steady as an elephant. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fringes are perfect and and make these rugs really finished. The small tea cosy is wonderful and the tassel is a brillant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectos todos los trabajos. Los diseños son muy bonitos .

    ReplyDelete