Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Rocks And Rugs...

 


 And Elephants Too....!

I Know you will be getting tired, Dear Readers, of seeing more Castle Rock construction pictures! it is a long and tedious process and the Castle is a Large structure! To do it justice, I mustn't skimp on the building just because I am tired of it! You might have noticed that The Lord's Bed Chamber had another window on the side wall right at the front (and two more on the opening wall doors, but they will be much later) that it could be assumed would also have seats in the embrasure. As I said before, this Castle is Large, and the window openings start at 4 inches (4 feet in mini scale) off the floor. The ceiling of the chamber is 12 inches high (12 feet in scale) and it all must be kept in proportion. I needed a model to show the scale, and Charles was willing to come by and test the window seats. The seats themselves are a step up from floor level, making the view out the window a practical height for an adult. I needed to make sure I was leaving enough room between the seats for a "person" to stand comfortably.

Here, you can see it in better light.
(There have been a lot of cloudy days lately!)


Here you can see it in reference to the rest of the room.
This window is larger because
 I had to reduce the size of the ones
 on the back wall to fit below the stairs.
The seats are basically the same size,
 even though they look so much larger!


Here is a view from above with the top ceiling removed.
You can see the structure of the spiral stairs
 as well as the stairs from below on the left.
The bed will fit in the section between
 the front window and the spiral stairs.

 
Just this many "rocks" took an amazing amount
 of fiddling and adjusting to fit right!
But I got them glued in place and a coat of primer on them.

As for the Rugs, Dear Readers, I imagine you have guessed
 that it didn't take long for me to start stitching another one!
(No, I have not quite finished the fringe stitch on the last one!)


Exciting, Right?
I know this is a tease... but from Humble beginnings....


And yes, some patterns are a bit tedious to work.
They have you start in the center.... 
so I wanted to get some of all the colors in the design
at least to see how they relate to each other.
This is another of Janet Granger's designs.


This is the picture on the kit package.
 I know the colors must be a little off in the photograph,
 because the central area has the rose pink for the background.
 I am eager to see how it looks as it comes together.


This is as far as I have gotten. 
Yes, I am turbo stitching!

And what about the Elephants, you are wondering?
Well, the Elephant Tea Cozy had to
 audition a spot in the Doll Maker's Studio...


(It was a gloomy morning...)
The Elephant looks wonderful with the colors of this room!
But that was definitely not the correct teapot!
I had to hunt through all my boxes...


And I found her!
(I need to get better pictures!)
The Elephant Cozy does fit over
 the Elephant Teapot, just barely!
But I can't bear to cover it up!

So that's all I accomplished on my Week-end, Dear Readers,
A Couple more Rocks, Another Rug begun,
And the Elephants!


5 comments:

  1. Charles is a great sport to come by to help you check the space and height! It's so nice to get that kind of perspective from the perfect sized inhabitant, and he makes the window and seats look perfect and inviting!
    The new rug is going to be so beautiful! It does look like a complicated pattern, but I know you are the right gal for that job! I love the colors! Enjoy!
    What a perfect home for the elephant tea cozy! I feel like now that he is finished he needs a proper name. Hmmm... what to call him... And I also could not bear to cover that delightful elephant teapot, either! You're going to need to rustle up a plain white Falcon miniatures teapot for the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good old Charles, always ready to lend a hand when it is needed. I really love the window seats. They are great elements in the castle and are really quintessential for a time when one had to make most of the natural daylight. In Huis ter Swinnendael I also incorporate them as they were still often used in the 17th century. I look forward to ssing them "rocked."

    You really are in carpet mode. To start another carpet after finishing the last two. The design is very pretty. I love Janet Grangers designs. No doubt progress will be fast on this one as well. I was too late to respond on your last post but the fringe on the other carpets really finishes them of ncely. And, if you really can't find a place for the House of Miniatures carpet, I would gladly give it a good home in my miniature house (insert devilish and greedy grin!) But only in exchange for a decent donation for your miniatures fund that reflects the time and work you have put into it!
    But I have no doubt that you will find a good home for it in one of your own houses

    The tea cosy has turned out into a lovely item. I already liked the design, but the bead and tassle really finish it off! And as you said before, you indeed have the same little elephant teapot as I do. Great fun to keep an elephant warm with another elephant. A great match.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry having to correct you - but I will never get tired when you're rocking the rocks again... and I am convinced I'm not the only one who never stops to be fascinated by your work and all the time and effort you put into this to achieve a breathtaking result. Let's always keep in mind that you're turning wood into stones... this is pure magic! ;O)

    I especially enjoyed the bird's view into this room, this gave me a very good impression. And how lovely of Charles to drop by to help you. Makes me wonder... perhaps in the meantime Helen does some stitching for you? This would be a good explanation why you're for sure a turbo stitcher! *grin* But without any more joking, your newest embroidery project is another stunning piece and it's really amazing how much progress you've already made.

    And don't you dare to cover this stunning elephant pot! Although your awesome elephant cozy would be a worthy host it would be a shame to hide this masterpiece. It would never be enough to just know that it's there! *wink* But of course we could assume that the dollmaker just pulled the last drops of tea in her cup so the cozy isn't necessary anymore. However, personally I would prefer to get back to the awesome Christmas themed pot and use the elephant pieces in another project (although I agree that they match perfect in this room). The Christmas pot and mug match so much better with the two Secret Christmas Houses (I'm always glad whenever they appear again) and I will never stop to insist that this project desires "Christmas in every space and corner"... *tweet* But okay... you're the master of the scene... and we both know whatever you're going to do I will love it. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles is the best example for showing the relativity of the window's height and the seats. The room looks very large and formal.
    I love the new rug. It resembles my r/l large and fringed carpet.
    Both the elephant teapot and tea cozy are exquisite.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete