Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Sister Visit.....

 


Playing With Dolls Again...

I Can't tell you how Satisfying it is, Dear Readers, to sit and sew doll clothes with my sister! This is something we did together as children, sitting on our bed of a Saturday morning with the rag bag and the sewing box and our little "friends".... mostly I remember the "Liddle Kiddles" and the "Trolls", but I know we did this all the time. But the opportunities became scarce once adulthood took over, so grabbing an opportunity here and there is so much fun we just can't resist. My Sister came North for a few weeks to see her grandchildren and I got her company for a couple of days. Even though my arm has been a "problem" I was able to indulge in tiny bits of sewing! (The arm is getting so much better thanks to lots of rest.) I didn't have any "kits" for us to make up as we did the last time, but I searched all my boxes of parts for the Dollmaker's Studio and there were two not-yet-dressed little dolls! (One of them was the model in last year's X-mas Card!) We quickly decided that we could "scrounge" supplies for their clothes and see what we could design for ourselves. I still had previous kit instruction booklets (never throw stuff like this away!) and packets of cloth bought from Sandra Morris over the years. It took us a little while, but we settled on similar cloth in different color ranges and I had tiny trims from last year's Miniatures Fair.... and tons of scraps.... so we were off and running...!

Here you can see the fabric choices for my little doll,
 a striped silk in blues and lavenders, 
and a beautiful brocade in pale blue and silver.
 

And my sister's choices, a brocade in pink and copper-green
 along with a stripe in green pink and gold hues.
 
I had bought a whole bunch of lovely silk ribbons at last year's Fair....
Or at some Fair in the past... 
and they made great underwear for the dollies!
 

The kits always provide bunka for the trim on the undies... 
so I looked through my stashes and sure enough,
 there was some bunka left over from the Secret Christmas House Project!
My sister chose the green trim and I got the red.
 

Next comes stockings,
 and I was able to find a lace scrap in my stash
 with a very fine mesh
 that we could trim down for the stockings!
 
 
These little dollies are so cute!
 
Next is the shoes... made from the silk ribbons
 that I had in a wonderful selection of colors!
 

Lots of really careful gluing and cutting....
 

Here mine has the ribbon part done...


And my sister's is getting the leather soles....
 one foot at a time...
 
And mine too...

 

And the second sole.... 
making sure they don't glue in the wrong places!


 And my sister's.....


Aren't they just adorable?


Next step is petticoats!


And then we had to design the skirts!


Which required some sustenance!
(Yes, we ate some lunch and some candy!)


Here the skirts are well under way!


And my sister's too....
(Apologies for the blurry shot!)


But we were running out of time!


It was getting late. 
My sister was leaving by dawn the next day.
The little dollies would wait until our next visit...
They have good company with Floralinda in the candy bowl!

And then, Dear Readers, the flight was cancelled at the last possible hour...!
My sister had to reschedule and we got an extra day together!
Woo hoo!!!


The little cuties were ready and waiting!
Out came the supplies.....


We needed to design and make the jackets!
I had kept the pattern pieces from the dolls we made last year....
 the shape just needed to be a little altered because the skirts are stiff...


My sister's brocade has a pronounced pattern... 
so she needed to match the pattern when she cut her pieces....
She did an awesome job!


For mine the pattern was way more subtle... 
so I just cut the pieces being sure to stay
 with the grain  of the cloth.


We used iron on interfacing to prevent the cloth from raveling too much...
Here you see the seams are stitched and pressed open!


And the other side.... 
I should have tried harder to match my cloth pattern!


Here we are testing the fit.... 
before the sleeves and trims...


And mine too!
 
 
And we just had time to glue the trim on the hems....

 
Here we are testing the jacket with the trim....
 

 Here they both are with their jackets on!


And in the candy bowl!
We had to stop for dinner, Dear Readers,
and to prepare for the next day's trip to the airport. 
For now, the little dollies are residing
 in the Dollmaker's Studio workroom.
 And we are all eagerly waiting 
for the next Sister Visit!


8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to pass time with your sister, and how lucky both of you are to share the same hobby of dressing the super cute dolls. I wish you many more visits like these.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely project for the two of you to do Betsy! I LOVE the idea of making up two tiny doll outfits with your beloved sister and the end results are So Pretty!

    elizabeth
    p.s. I remember playing with Liddle Kiddle and troll dolls too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spending time with your sister has borne fruit. The dolls look so beautiful with their new dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seldom does a canceled flight bring joy to people. But here it was a happy incident that gave you and your sister enough time to work on the little doll's. Although not yet finished, they are already super cute. And what better place to store a "miniature doll in progress" than in a dollmakers studio!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betsy - I left a comment for you a few days ago. Unfortunately, as often happens lately, it has simply disappeared. I can't find a fix for it, so I suppose I will just have to go back to the copy/paste/save method I adopted for a while there. That way, if it disappears, I will just paste it and post again.

    There was no profound sentiment the first time, just that I love that you got to spend cherished time with your sister doing something you've been doing together since you were little. How special! The dressed dolls were adorable, and I am in awe of the skill you and your sister have - especially with clothing that tiny! Hope you'll get together again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear your arm is a bit better and that it was even cooperative to make all this fun with your sister possible. I bet you had tons of fun while dressing up these teeny tiny dollies.

    And I learnt a lesson this way: A dollie has to do what a dollie needs to do if she wants to have soles for her shoes... even stretching and ballet poses. *smile* The photos are so cute - and your sewing work is awesome. It's such a special thing that your sister is as talented and interested in this kind of fiddly work as you - and every visit of hers leads to the most wonderful results. It's good to know this will be continued... however I think the little ladies would have preferred to wait in the candy bowl instead of the Dollmaker's Studio... or am I just too used to beary preferences??? ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete