Monday, July 31, 2023

Complicated....

 


Castle Construction... 

As I am Sure you know, Dear Readers, I Love my Castle, even though it is not much more than half finished! I spend a great deal of time pondering the challenging parts that hinder completion, and one of the longest pondered is the steps to the Castle entrance. Ancient Castle builders did not want it to be easy to enter, (it was a fortress, after all!) so they made the steps narrow and steep, and sometimes just used a ladder that could be pulled inside from above. The entrance was rarely on the first floor (ground floor to you foreigners) but usually at the second floor level (you folks not from the USA would call this the first floor), and while it might have a fancier elegant door frame, there was no grand entrance the way later palaces would have. This is the model my Castle has for it's entrance, and I built the basic door and steps a long long time ago! But the steps have never been attached and fall down all the time. And the fact that they stick out on the outside of the Tower with no base to sit on makes them vulnerable to damage if they are not attached strongly enough to the main structure. The method of that strong attachment is the challenging part!

Here you can see the beginnings of the process of
 trying to design a sturdy stair-base unit
 to attach to the side of the Tower.
I had started on this way back in the Spring before I hurt my arm....
and I am finally getting back to work on it!
 

The idea is to build a framework attached to a separate narrow base
 which the stairs sit upon, and the framework screws into the Tower walls. 
 
 
This also creates a nice box in the bottom right corner
 that can house the electrical outlets for this part of the castle.
So far, the pieces you can see are temporary just to help get an idea of space.
 
And because this is squeezed into a really tight corner in my workroom,
 I decided I would need to turn the whole Tower so I could get better access.
 

As you can see, this side of the Tower has been left unpainted....
all the wiring needs to travel down this wall to the electrical box.
And all the windows still need their trims... 
and the stairs need to be finally constructed!

Here you can see the basic parts. 
The stairs are a glued together unit but not attached.
The landing outside the main door has been there 
(slightly uneven) for ages.
I am adding the base strip and the tall wall on the right
 which will form a "buttress" to the Tower.


Here I am testing sturdier vertical frame sections
 which will screw into the wall from inside the stables.
Figuring out which piece attaches to what
 and in what order is part of the complications!
I want this "extension" on the side of the Castle to be very sturdy!
 

 Here you can see I have cut part of the outer wall to the stairs.
This will all be "stonework" and arches over the entry to the Stables.
I have also cut the "door panel" for the "Electrical box" 
which will be hidden in the right corner.

There will be Hinges!
But that will be later.
First we need to actually construct this frame work.
 

It starts with drilling the screw-holes for the vertical post attachment,
after very very careful measurement (and testing again and again)
from the underside of the new narrow base plate.
 The screws need to be countersunk because they will sit under the base.
Here you can see I am screwing the pieces one at a time
 and testing the fit at the Castle wall to make sure
 it sits square and flush with the wall. 
(The wall is uneven in places!)
At this stage I am screwing together without glue.


Meanwhile I had marked where the vertical frame sits along the wall 
(The flash is too bright to see the pencil well)
This is so I could drill the holes for the attachment
 from the outside so they are positioned correctly.


Here you can see from the inside of the Stables 
where the screw holes have been countersunk.
This will be filled and repainted after the construction is complete.
Because I drilled first from the outside,
 I could be sure the holes are located exactly right.
 

But before I get carried away, Dear Readers,
 and start screwing this together,
 I need to assess the rest of the "buttress structure!
It rises on the right corner to above the door level,
 and needs to be able to "channel a whole lot 
of electrical wires down to the wires box!
 

As you can see from this shot, the "landing" by the door
 doesn't even go as far as the decorative framework.
 This will need to be extended.
And there will need to be another wall....


Here I am trying to hold the test wall in place
 and photograph at the same time!
The wires have room to channel through this buttress
 down to the outlet strip (still not shown).
 

Here I have screwed this wall in place (I will add glue later).
I have also extended the landing.... 
it needs one more piece glued in to reach the wall.


Here I am testing the look of the buttress... 
it will have a steeply slanted roof
 the better to hide all those wires!


And then I needed to test the screws for the vertical framework.... 
that go in from inside the Stable...
(Unbelievably challenging to reach in there with the screwdriver!)
The diagonal row of three screws at the front
 will go into the stairs themselves... later!


All that work, and this section is now screwed in place (temporarily!).
I gave it a good hefting test and it is very sturdy! Yay!
 

Still a long way to go, Dear Readers,
but, Oh my goodness it's progress at last
with this Complicated Castle Construction!


8 comments:

  1. It may be complicated, but WOW, it's amazing to see it all coming together! You have some amazing construction skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo satisfying Betsy! How great to take such a big step and feel like you hve really achieved something! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating to read about your progress on this amazing castle you are constructing. Sounds complicated, but I like the way you think everything through, including counter sinking the screws. It is going to look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting undertaking, Betsy! I know you will come up with ingenious solutions and have it looking as authentic and logical as any real castle! There is so much potential here to make a charming entry, and you always find the perfect means to exploit every one of them. I am ever delightfully surprised at how you solve the challenges of this build and I can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seguro que conseguirás una entrada magnífica. Todas esta complicaciones son un reto a la imaginación.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somebody needs to have a talk with the stable staff about the heaps of wood dust lying everywhere in the door area! *LOL* And of course your promise of hinges being necessary soon made me glad... ;O)

    But now without joking - it was a great pleasure to see this newest progress of yours aka on the Castle's construction. This needs a lot of planning and thinking in advance and you came up with the most brilliant ideas and solutions. You're even already considering structures to hide the cables - I really admire all this foresight. And although this might be no fun work - but it needs to be done and it's a very important step for going on with one of the most impressive builds in miniature I've ever seen. Oh, and not to forget - the door on the first or second floor looks absolutely stunning. And I have learnt a lot about floors coming along in different counts in different countries... ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have my fullest admiration for taking on such a great project. I'm sure the entrance to the castle will turn out magnificent.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this castle! Especially how much you endeavor to keep it within the confines of 'realistic' design. If you find you don't want to attach the steps permanently you could always use little magnets. If you embed some in the walls and then some in the stairs they'll stay in place pretty well, especially with a little bracing around them.

    ReplyDelete