Thursday, July 20, 2023

Little Progress....

 


Trims, Blossoms & Borders....

Well, Dear Readers, I really have not got a lot to show you this week, but I have been chipping away at the usual myriad projects. The Gypsy Wagon bed chamber doors, for instance, needed the trims for the door on the side facing the main compartment. I dug around and found the piece of trim I had already stained quite a while ago (years!) just waiting to be cut, fitted and glued in place! You can see above, that the side pieces need to have their undersides cut away where they fit over the hinges (oh, look at all those glorious hinges!) so they can glue securely to the wall surface. It does not matter that this covers the screws on one side... if the doors ever need to be removed (why would that ever happen?) they can be unscrewed from the other side instead.

It did not take very long to carve away the undersides for the hinges. 
It took only slightly longer to fit the sections for the arched top.


I know my sections are not even or "properly" mitered....
It is easier for me to just measure cut and trim....
(and who but me is going to notice this uneven spacing?)
 

The doors still need their "air holes" drilled... 
but I left that for another day while the glue was drying.

As for the Rhododendron Blossom assembly line...
I am still not getting it very organized!
I have made quite a few "clusters", 
and even more blossoms...
 

I am making the blossoms in batches of ten. 
It seems an ideal amount for a cluster
 (I counted when the bush was blooming!)
And I have made seventeen "batches" so far.... 
and started the eighteenth!
 

Here the stamen clusters are glued and the blossoms cut and shaped.
Next they get painted and assembled.
 

But I have only glued together ten batches into "clusters".
And I am way, way behind on making the leaves. 
I really think I need to make a batch of leaves for every cluster.
This is totally different from the process of making the lilacs!
I need to get the leaf making and attaching figured out!
But still, seventeen blossom clusters is not too bad
 for a couple of months occasional work! 

And I know it has been ages, Dear Readers,
 since I showed you any progress on the petit-point carpet...
 

Here you can see I have made quite a bit of progress stitching the outer borders. 
(I think you have to look back to February to see the last update!)
 

It is very slow going!
But you can see, Dear Readers,
 there is a Little Progress
 in some of my many projects!

10 comments:

  1. Everything is coming along so nicely! And WOW, that carpet is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your doors! Hinges are the bane of my existence when they're so tiny. The trim looks lovely. I'm very impressed with your miter cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rug, your hinges and trim are great on that arched doo too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy your trim looks fantastic!!! It was ingenious to create it that way and with the nice wood molding! It'll be exciting to see it installed in the Gypsy Wagon, soon! The blossoms are so pretty and you are accumulating so many now! I love the color and it is going to be an amazing, show stopping shrub! You are making extras for the ground, right??? Lol! And have I mentioned how much I love that carpet? It is wonderful to see the progress and the gorgeous border!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiddly progress is worth at least twice as much as progress on straightforward tasks I am sure! And the devil is in the detail as you are aware. That carpet is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Con tantos trabajos a la vez, es imposible aburrirse. ¡Es todo fantástico!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trim is amazing, the carpet is gorgeous and most of all I love the blossoms. Your work is precious, as always.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a flair for understatement, Betsy. Little progress is not an apropriate title for this post in my opninion. If you add everything you have done together you get quite a sum of miniature work!
    The trim around the hinged door looks fab. a detail very fitting. In these old gypsywagons every surface was either decorated in paint, or carved. and sometimes both.

    Every step in the Rhodondendron project amazes me. I do not think I could work so meticulously and dedicated as you do. I take my (straw) hat off to you.

    And the carpet, what can I say, it is a beatuiful design. each added square centimeter adds to it's beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must confess I'm a bit confused now... When I started to read your post it was "Hooray! Betsy enjoys having hinges to the fullest again" but then came the remark that shocked me: "and who but me is going to notice this uneven spacing?" What??????????? Have I lost my way stranding on somebody else's blog??? *LOL*

    Sorry, I couldn't help teasing you *grin*. In fact I must say that your trim turned out awesome... and it is a brilliant way to get trim around a bow. I also like the "carved" details very much. And it's amazing that (at the moment you've written this post) you were up to create batch No. 18. And after learning that 10 batches make a cluster you will soon have 2 clusters (explain this to somebody not familiar with our hobby *teehee*) Jodi's question about extras for the ground really made me smile - and hearing about your need to make some leaves soon reminded me of something. You will also need to make shrinked dark brown leaves, the withered kind of rhodendron leaves lying on the ground, being strong as leather and hard to remove. ;O)

    Okay, NOW no more teasing or joking... only one last honest and admiring remark about the beauty of your carpet. It looks even more stunning with the border - what a gorgeous design. And I bet your stitching needle was very happy to see you again.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I don't know how I missed this update. That trim is just perfect for the doors and looks great. The rhododendron is going to look amazing. We are quite the fans of this plant and have enjoyed going to see them when out in flower in some of the amazing gardens in Cornwall. We have also planted some in our garden here. I love that you pay so much attention to detail to get therm right.
    Oh and as for that carpet, wow! It really looks stunning. Such a work of art indeed and it is going to look fantastic in one of your houses.

    ReplyDelete