Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Plan B....

 


Build It Better....

I am Happy to Report, Dear Readers, that I was wrong on at least two occasions in my recent posts! I had mentioned that the only light in The Tower no longer working was the Stable's lantern which would need to be entirely re-built. So I was very pleasantly surprised, as I was fidgeting with the lantern trying to decide how best to re-build it, to discover that the only thing wrong with it was a very loose light bulb! Once it was properly screwed in, I plugged in the cord and It worked! No need for a major re-design. My initial wiring did leave me room to access the socket and tighten the bulb. And you can see in the above picture, However dimly lit, that I had also patched over all those screws that were used to attach the exterior stairs. It was a simple matter to re-paint the rocks....

Can you see any screw heads in this picture?
All that remained to fix were the grout lines....
 

As you can see in this shot....
 pretty difficult to tell the screws are there!
But the second place where I was mistaken, 
Dear Readers, required a little more work to fix.
My lovely Stables "door bar" which seemed to work so easily
 with just the screw to turn the bar.... stopped working.
I was going to have to re-design the method 
for raising and lowering the bar from outside the Castle.
This took some serious thought!
But I came up with a solution!
 

I reasoned that the bar would need to be attached firmly to the pivot,
 and that would need to be attached to a lever from the outside.
Since the metal screw became loose in the wood after only a little use,
 I decided the whole structure needed to be made of wood.
I needed to use a wooden dowel, of sufficient diameter to be sturdy, 
(in this case 1/4 inch) and I would need to "square it up
 where it attached to the bar so it could not easily slip when turned.


The hole in the bar needed to be squared too,
 so it fit snugly like a tenon in old fashioned post and beam construction.


Like so.


The hole through the wall needed to be enlarged to take the dowel width...
I needed to be very careful that I left enough "wall" beside the hole..... 
(this might be a weak spot, but it doesn't get stressed by the turning)
 

This is the bar in place.....


And in the "up" position. It works, it fits.... 
but I need to build the "lever" for the outside.


The other end of the dowel would need to 
be "squared" to fit into the lever bar....


And I needed to start the "rocks" which surround the door on the outside
 so that the lever could be positioned at the right depth
 to be able to turn and not catch on the rocks.


The new "lever" basically sits on top of the rock surrounding the door.


When the "lever" is down, it means the bar is in
 the "up" position and the doors can open.


When the "lever" is pointed up, the bar is down.... 
here you can see it because the doors are still open.
If they were closed, the bar would grab into the holds!


See?  
The lever and the bar are both securely tenoned on the dowel!
It works!
And you might have noticed, Dear Readers, 
that while I have been wrestling with this complicated little lever,
 I have also begun painting the rocks on the Tower walls!


Well, first the primer coat....


Then the base coat of light gray....


Then the darker detailing of the "stonework" surrounding the door...
 

 Still in the just "roughing" it in stage....


Gradually trying to define the "rocks"......


And with the magic "grout lines" added....


Wow.... what a difference they make!

So you can see what a difference
 Plan B makes, Dear Readers,
Building it Better is always worth the effort!



6 comments:

  1. Me encanta el progreso en la creación de la piedra de la fachada y me ha entusiasmado la apertura de la puerta. ¡Buen diseño!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed by your ingenuity, how you work around the little issues you come across, and the care you take with all the details. It's looking so beautiful! It's definitely worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Betsy! Do I ever know the joy that happens when you discover that the lighting issue was simply a loose bulb! Phew and hallelujah!
    The reengineered door bar is absolutely ingenious and I so admire your carving skills! I bet it is so much fun to play opening and closing the doors!
    And those stones! They truly come alive with all the special detailing you add! This is going to be another fantastic scene setting for the castle and a perfect backdrop for the next chapter in your serial drama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If ever you knew how much I enjoyed this post! Especially the last part was so wonderful, seeing this special Betsy-magic happen from picture to picture and in the end... voilá: Sturdy, heavy rocks! Just in case I might never have mentioned this before... your painting skills never stop to amaze me... ;O)

    And hooray for the lantern issue turning out to be just a loose bulb. In German we have a saying about the luck of the efficient... I'm so happy that this went better and easier than you expected. But the bar and the lever... it's incredible what you did to improve it. No doubt... Plan B is short for "Betsy always has a great plan"... And I can't leave without mentioning how beautiful the stable looked in the first photo... I can't wait to see it with horses enjoying their hay and standing comfortably in dry straw...

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge

    ReplyDelete