Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Marching Forward...

 


 Pruning The Shrubs....

While I am Madly constructing the Rhododendron blossoms, Dear Readers, the progress on the Shrub skeletons is much slower and more deliberate. But if I am to reach my desired goal of a blooming shrub by the end of May (only about ten weeks away!) then I need to be making good progress every weekend at least! So as I was attaching yet another round of branches to the Shrub#1 skeleton, I thought I had better make sure the shrub was not going to overwhelm the path to the garden bench by the little brook that runs along the side of The Folly Garden (or will when we get it built)! So I asked Joanna (who is a small adult only 5" tall) to come over and help me test the shrub by walking the short path. She was happy to oblige, and Will was also willing to help (he is a tall 6" adult size). He is warning Joanna to be careful on the very narrow little path....

Which takes off from the steep front steps to The Folly porch.
The path past the lilacs where Will is standing
 is a bit wider and more traveled,
 and the lilacs naturally arch above the heads of anyone who passes.
While the path past the Rhododendron
 has always been wilder and a bit neglected.


As you can see, it would be very easy
 for this shrub to overwhelm the path entirely!


It made clear to me the need to "prune" the shrub
 just a little bit where it stands by the porch!


As you can see, Will is a good bit taller than Joanna,
 and he needs to be able to navigate this path too!
After all, the bench overlooking the brook is in such a sweet spot!


I know it is hard to see the difference, Dear Readers,
 but here is the Shrub#1 with a whole batch
 of new little short branches!
I will continue to shape the branches
 as I begin to add the blossoms to them,
 but first they need to be painted... 
a whole other adventure!


And lest you think I have been slacking... 
here is Shrub#2 getting the same little short branches added and glued...


And Shrub#3....!


And if I stand back far enough you can see all three in a row!
And last week ended with a count of seventy blossoms clusters!
Wowee!
I am Marching Forward, Dear Readers,
Even if I did have to Prune the bushes back a little bit!


7 comments:

  1. Wow! Seventy blossom clusters is amazing! You deserve applause for that! Everything is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smaller shrubs = fewer blossoms and leaves? Good progress either way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna y Will podrán pasear por el camino muy bien y cuando los arbustos estén florecientes será un maravilloso recorrido!
    Setenta ramos de flores y los arbustos ya para pintar...tu progreso es increíble!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's going to look amazing, even trimmed back. Sneaky Rhododendrons trying to take over...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These trees will be beautiful in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ¡Pues parece que ya le queda muy poco!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The things one has to keep in mind and to consider before it's too late! ;O) But you're absolutely right in testing the access... and so kind of Joanna to come over for a test. And it makes me smile that Will is such a perfect gentleman... gentle enough to watch over her and man enough to follow her path once she made it through the wilderness. *grin*

    It was nice to see the 3 shrubs together in a row... and to learn the the blossom factory is productive as always.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete