Tuesday, April 14, 2020

A Few More Details....




Where There's Fire....

You might not Think, Dear Readers, that this is the same room as that dark and gloomy one I was showing you last week, but such is the power of a Sunny Morning that it chases away all confusing shadows! And by the bright light of morning, I am reminded that I need to paint those bright brass hinges on those shutters before I attach them for good! Oh, and make the hinge straps too. This is another of those methods I devised long ago and therefore must continue to use whether it is a good method or not! The brass hinges are sturdy but too shiny so I simply paint them black to imitate forged iron work. And then I make the "strap" part of the hinges out of sculpey and glue them on.

I made a bunch because who knows how soon
 I will be making more shutters for the rest
 of all those windows on the Castle facade.

From a distance it is not too obvious that
 the hinges are not made entirely of metal!

And once the hinges were attached....
 all those little bright brass screw heads needed painting too!

There.... is that better?
Are we done with the Window?
Can I glue the fireplace in now?
Ummm..... No....
 I have remembered another detail...
Because you might or might not have noticed over the years,
 that I tend to like to add "smoke" to my mini fires.....!
And I have a particular effect that I like....
that requires a piece of the "smoky gauze cloth"
 to hang above the fire.
Which reminded me that I better add the pot hanging hook
 in case I ever wanted to suspend something over the fire......

So I added a strip of wood inside the flue.... 
with a hook in the middle....
Just in case!

And then had to test my "smoky gauze cloth effect"....

To see if the gauze was hung right...
(Eventually I will add more "flames and wood" to this fire!)

Here I am gluing the gauze to the wall...
 
And threading the wires out through the back wall...!
(Yes, once again it is late and dark...)

And gluing the fireplace in!
And the lights still work!
Hooray!!!

And the sparks from the fire are flying up the flue...!
Can you see them?

Come a little closer... can you see them now?
Well, never mind, Dear Readers,
 it is my little fantasy...
Because where there is Fire...
Shouldn't there be smoke too?



10 comments:

  1. You've done an excellent job on the hinge straps and for painting black the hinges, Betsy, they now look just like real wrought iron! Allthough it was dark later on I could see it very well and besides that you've explaned it all so well to us in your text.
    But using this "smoky gauze cloth effect" is absolutely fantastic, the effect looks like a real fire!!
    The castle on the mantle looks gorgeous, that's another very creative find of you, but what else t expect from someone who is so talented as you are.
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy.
    Warm hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantástico el logro del fuego de la chimenea y tus bisagras te han quedado geniales, cuídate,besos:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the smoke effect of your gauze! It looks wonderful. Sculpy for hinge straps... Something to experiment with in the future. I've been using thin cardboard and painting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hinges look good and of course, the hall looks completely different in daylight. I like the smoky "fire".
    Happy Easter!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cada detalle que añades,le da más realismo a la habitación! Has logrado un fuego perfecto,enhorabuena!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on making all those tiny hinges. I'm enjoying the whole process of this lovely build and the attention to detail. Hope you are well and staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so lovely to see this wonderful room in all of it's lighted moods! The strap hinges are such a perfect touch and the wispy smoke is so much fun! I really did see sparks and could even hear the crackling embers! Thank you for bringing us into your dreams with this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU are the Queen of the Castle when it comes to hinges and strapwork Betsy, and may I say that I am LOVING the effects of your smoky fire and I can't wait to see how the fireplace will look once it is permanently installed and warming the toes of the occupat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Queen of Hinges did it again... you brought hinges to a new level! Now they're not only useful but also looking good! ;O) An amazing idea to use clay for making those straps - and an even better idea to bake some more because we all know that you will be back into the hinges again soon.

    And the "smoke"... yes, this is one of those special details that could not be missed. And we all know it has to be there - adding both magic and realism to this fireplace as it does to the other ones where you've already used it! It looks stunning and the sparks showed up very well, giving it this very special touch of Betsy magic. And speaking of magic - do you remember that I'm the very happy and proud owner of a strip of that special fabric? *smile* Since last year when you sent it it's waiting for me to start a magical project again... well, that day will come... in some far, far away future. My, so many ideas and so little time... *LOL*

    Stay safe and keep on crafting... and adding all those amazing details!
    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have done a fantastic job! Everything is accurate.

    ReplyDelete