Monday, April 27, 2020

More Windows....




Giving It a Try....

I am Sure that Most of you, Dear Readers, will Not remember that I had boldly added a window to the bathroom of the Willowcrest all those years ago when I was about to glue the walls in place. I could not be happy with a room that had no window at all, and so at the last  minute I added one by cutting a hole in the wall. I chose an arched shape similar to the arched windows in the attic, but really it was a home made design. I also added an outer window frame once the walls were attached and the trim was being added....

And I had even constructed the window itself..... 
 (but couldn't find a picture of that in the unfinished state)
Because it languished unfinished and unattached for years and years!
Why? you might ask...
Well, because I wanted it to be "stained glass" 
like the upper portion of all the other windows in this house.....

But all those windows had been "finished" years ago...
And I would have to do the "leaded glass" paint....
So it languished.
But then last week when I was cleaning out the attic
 and dithering with the fireplace.... 
my eye fell on that window frame.... still waiting....
 and hadn't I just used the lead paint a few days ago...?
Wouldn't it be easy to add the lead to this window now?

It really didn't take me very long!
(Of course, this is plastic and not real glass)
Once the leaded lines had dried.... several days later, 
I needed to add the lead tape to the exterior side.

All the windows on Hardwick Hall have this lead tape
applied to the design on the exterior side of the windows.

It takes a little longer, but the effort is really worth it.
Next I painted the "Stained glass" colors...

Using nail polish... first a rosy red....

Then a lovely lilac....
 this goes only on the side with the painted lead lines.

And then glue it in the window opening...!

And from the exterior...!
Finally! All the windows in this house are done!
 
And I have to confess Dear Readers, 
all of that was really me dithering some more...
Because I couldn't decide how to construct 
the next window for the Lord's Council Chamber!
Didn't you Just make one? I hear you ask?
Yes... But, I wanted to try to make one that opened....
Just the lower portion, you understand.... 
because you wouldn't want to have no fresh air...!
And this would require hinges..! (A good thing..!)
And complicated framing... (not quite such a good thing...)
And me trying something I wasn't sure would work....
And then I realized that I would never know unless I tried! (Duh!)
So I got started!

I drew the pattern of the opening...
(Have I mentioned that this Self-built dollhouse
 has really uneven window openings?)
(See previous posts for disclaimers about the "builders"!)
This frame would need to be built in two sections.
I started with the lower part where I wanted the window to open.
 
It is built on the same theory as the rest of these windows
 (basically a glass sandwich)
But the frame needed inner panels that would 
keep the glass positioned when the frame swung open.
These are not necessary for the fixed windows, 
because the glass is held in place by the walls.
And the frame needed to be large enough and sturdy enough 
to take the weight of the glass, and the hinges
 needed to be able to be screwed on without hitting the glass.
I made the sides just a little wider than the previous window, 
3/8ths inch instead of 1/4 inch.
Imagine my Joy when I went to my glass scrap box 
and found two pieces already cut exactly the right size!
 
Here I am testing the frame "sandwich" in the window opening....

And seen from the exterior (where the light is better!)
Still a long way to go... but I'm encouraged!

Here the upper frames are cut and fitted too... 
and testing that they all fit together...
There will be lots of trimming still!

And with the cross bar sections added to the frames...

And drawing the leading on the glass... 
alas, my lines are still really blobby!

But I know I can trim them up later.

Painting the upper frame to resemble stone.... 
like the other windows in the Castle.
But then I realized the lower portion that hinges would never be stone... 
but I didn't want to paint it dark wood colored..... 
(still might change my mind...)
 
I stained it a blue-gray that I used on the Conservatory... 
I'm going to call it "weathered wood"
I will probably try to make it look more like weathered wood...
 but here I am still testing for fit!

And as the leading was getting dry
 I had to try to see how well it fit the frame....
But it was late and I was running out of time.

I couldn't wait to see how they would look in daylight....
Today was my day to go in to the Office... 
but I tried to grab a couple of shots...

Blobby paint and all!


I didn't even get as far as the hinges.... 
so I have no idea how they will work!
But I had to give it a Try, Dear Readers....!
'Cause how else would I ever find out?
(And now I have adding the hinges to look forward to....!)
And More Windows too!




13 comments:

  1. Bravo por terminar esa ventana y todas las demás! Las vidrieras lucen muchísimo con sus colores!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very satisfying when a job is done. Well done Betsy, that stained glass window looks great on the bathroom! With regards the castle window I am looking forward to see how it turns out, so far so good. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that you finally made the window for the bathroom, because during all this time it will have been quite chilly in there for your mini people ;). And yes, it's quite a while ago but I do remember me this window.
    You did a perfect job on that tiny window, Betsy, I admire your skills of making these tiny windows of real glass, and even hinged too.
    I can't wait to see more of the seperated castle window, I'm curious to see if the hinges will work. For now you've perfectly solved the issue of the seperate parts of that particular window.
    Stay safe, take care, dear friend.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the many different types of windows you make for your houses (and castle) The variety makes them so interesting. The tiny real glass windows, and the hinges and the leading, they all add up to the great and realistic result that you achieve with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your leaded glass windows look GREAT!
    Finding the extra leaded glass for the Willowcrest and then SUCCESSFULLY making a particularly tricky one for the castle, deserves a BIG Round of Applause: Way to Go Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Well worth the effort. And of course it will work.
    Carry on, much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a castle window genius and I am probably just as excited as you are about the hinges! I love the theory and the proof of concept! You tried your idea, and you found a way! And isn't it encouraging and a sign of "meant to be" when we find the perfect sized thing in our stash!
    I love the leaded bathroom window in the Willowcrest, too, and I am so happy that you got another task crossed off your list! Great work, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on finding the extra window! Everything happens for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much detail for something so small - it just goes to show, never throw anything away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. Your blog is very good <3
    I am following you and invite you to me
    https://milentry-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woohoo - Betsy is in the hinges again!!! You know this always makes me happy... even if it's so far just a promise of having hinges on that window. But I know you'll be able to make your vision of that partially opening window with real glass come true because what you've done so far will lead to a very happy ending. Speaking of happy - you made me smile with your remark that you had no other choice to try this because otherwise there would have been this nasty little voice in your head forever whispering "But you should have tried - I told you so!!!" *LOL*

    Btw - another remark of yours made me sob. Yes, really... this one: " I could not be happy with a room that had no window at all" Oh my... I'm renovating a whole house without any single window... *boohoo*... eh... but wait a second... I'm just remembering... hey, it's me... and I never care about realism in a dollhouse... oh, what a relief... I don't need any windows in the Beary House plus I'm very lucky that I'm able to admire a master builer who's building in stunning self made windows with beautiful stained glass effect and (hooray!) even hinges... eh... where was I...? Oh, I just wanted to say: Stunning work, beautiful windows, I'm looking forward to see the castle window finished - with working hinges! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete