Monday, May 4, 2020

Hinges.....




Happiness....!

I am Sure I have mentioned More than once, Dear Readers, how much I Love Hinges! But that does not necessarily mean they are easy to work with. My favorite hinges are not made for miniatures and are a tad oversized for most applications in 1/12 scale. They are 3/4 inches tall which would be 9 inches in dollhouse scale, and just under 3/8 inches wide including the hinge pin, the plate being 1/4 inch alone. But they are sturdy enough for enthusiastic and prolonged use, and really, I have seen hinges this large on many an old door. Certainly, for the Castle I feel justified in using large heavy hinges for the oversized frames needed for the heavy leaded glass windows! These hinges are designed for flat surface application, not as the more modern butt hinges which will close snugly in between the frame and the door. But in a pinch, they can be used in less conventional ways.
(True Medieval hinges were even more primitive.... being just the "strap" folded at the end around an "L" shaped pin attached to the framework.)

This is the flat profile.... with the plates both on a surface
 and the pin standing above the surface.

When fully closed there is a gap between the plates...
 a butt hinge would have the plates flush with each other....
so as to fit snugly between the surfaces being moved.

Folded the other way, these hinges only go so far.... 
but they form a 90 degree angle to each other
 which is useful if you apply one plate to the surface
 and one to the crack....

It is unconventional... but it allows the frame to close
 snugly against the plate inside the window frame.
Or it would if I could get the holes for the
 screws drilled inside this small frame.....
(I hadn't thought of this problem!)
 
Even using my mini hand held pin drill..... 
I couldn't get a straight on angle.
So the heads of the screws will not sit flush to the plate... 
(which they wouldn't anyway because they are
 applied to the wrong side of the plate)

But this could be remedied by gouging into the wooden frame
 far enough to accommodate the screw heads.

Which took many tries to get the fit right.

And the outside view again....!
Have I completely bored you with all these hinge details?
Not bored enough?
Good! 
Because we are just getting started with the shutters!

Oh, Look at all those hinges!
It helps to begin with the shutters as one piece
 to aid in the alignment and spacing of the hinges.
Once again, this is an unconventional use of the hinges, 
but it allows for the very thick shutters to be
 attached to the wall right at the edge of the window.




The face of the hinges is on the exterior face of the shutter...
here you see it open...
the only difficulty being the thickness of the shutter
 prevents it from opening fully
 (I have beveled the back edge of the shutter as much as possible)


Those bright brass hinges need to be painted black...
And the shutter cut into two halves.


And those sculpey "hinge straps" glued on....


And the shutters attached!
(It has gotten late so I needed the spotlight...!)


So you can see the window open!


And the shutters align perfectly!



Shall we turn on the lights....?
(or should I say light the torches?)


And close those shutters against the night!
(it is still chilly at night after all!)

In case you couldn't tell, Dear Readers,
Working hinges make me Happy!
I do Love Hinges!

9 comments:

  1. I can totally understand your Joy of Hinges Betsy, because they not only Work but they look Marvellous either opened or closed!
    I'm always Fascinated by the care you take with these finicky details which appear to be difficult to do, and yet are what are what makes your posts unique and such an enjoyable adventure to read!
    And I must add how much I Love the added strapwork on the shutters, which blends right in to the painted metal whilst adding Heaps of Character to the window and to the room - BRAVO Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed. I hate hinges. I have to use them all the time and that still doesn't make me love them! I'm going to bookmark this so I can go back over it the next time I need to deal with them.

    Yours look wonderful and even better they work properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I'd say you've made the best of a difficult situation. The straps look great. And your patience continues to amaze...
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever id your solution for these type of hinges, Betsy, regarding to closing the window or door. You're right about that gap in the hinge after closing it and you have certainly found an unconventional use of hinges. It asks for inventive talent and a very creative mind, something that YOU certainly posesses ;)!
    And since you LOVE hinges, Betsy, I'm happy for you that your shutters now close fine ;O)!! I love the last few pictures, this room of the castle looks so atmospherical with the torches on and the shutters closed, great work, chapeau!! But the room also looks perfect by daylight and opened shutters ;O).
    Stay well, take care, dear Betsy!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment didn't publish. I guess I failed to click "publish." What I said, was that the straps make all the difference, and the evening view with the torches lit is beautiful. Carry on!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that you got to indulge in one of your favorite activities! It was not without it's complications and situational challenges, but you persevered which must feel so satisfying! The split opening shutters look dandy with their warm wood stain, and the polymer straps really do add the perfect medieval charm! I love the way both windows turned out glass, leading, shutters, hinges and all! I imagine the sense of accomplishment for this room feels tremendous, especially when the torches and fireplace are lit and you can stand back and say "I did it!"! Great work Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm confused now... I'm following your blog for so long but so far I never noticed that you love hinges so much... *buahaahaaaaaaa* Sorry, I could not miss another occasion to come along again with this bad joke... *wipes-away-tears-of-laughter*

    But without anymore bad joking - I always love it when you're in the hinges again! And your love of hinges always makes my day... because it leaves me once more in awe with your attention to any detail and for reaching for the limits of realism in a dollhouse. This window with two parts and shutters is absolutely stunning. And the atmosphere with the lights on is always breathtaking.

    Stay safe and keep on crafting... and perhaps try to search more occasions for celebrating your love of hinges! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit (who must warn you that you need to be strong when you're dropping by at my blog the next time *tweet*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. well I learned a lot about hinges today :) will you be aging them?


    still on lockdown
    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hinges make the difference.

    ReplyDelete