Monday, May 11, 2020

About Grout......




About Time....!

I am Sure you will be glad to hear, Dear Readers, that the grout I had ordered weeks ago arrived at last! It came last Tuesday, but grouting is not the sort of task you want to tackle without ample time, so I had to wait for the weekend before getting started. Above you can see the floor with the tiles all neatly glued and waiting. I am always surprised at how nervous it makes me to add the grout. Did I space the tiles right...? Will the grout ruin the finish...? Should I seal them again before the grout...? Will it make the plywood under the floor too wet and warp the structure...? You can see I lose my confidence with too many questions. At a certain point you just have to dive in! In this case I decided to remove the front door panels and the framework to allow better access to the back of the room. The doors were going to need to be painted anyway, so it was practical to do that now.


Without the front panel or the doors you can see 
the structure of the upper room as well.
And then it was time for the grout.
And I will tell you that grout is one of those messy tasks
 that don't encourage picture-taking at the same time! 
So there are no in-progress grout smearing shots!


Just the floor with the grout applied and partly wiped away.
And I was glad I waited for the supplies to arrive, 
because I did need part of the extra bag of mix!
Whew!
At this point you simply have to wipe enough grout away
 that the tiles are essentially clean, if not perfectly clean.

It leaves a silty residue.... 
which will eventually wipe away when it is dry. 
But you want to be sure the tiles are not 
covered where they shouldn't be.... 
dips and cracks wiped as clean as possible.

And then you have to let it dry completely.
Which takes a while. 
I leave it overnight. 
And I refuse to look at it... 
because I am already convinced it won't be right.
The spacing wasn't right... the grout is too thick....
 the color won't be right.....
Just walk away!

Because when you look in the next morning
 you will know you were right....
Aiyi yii.... what were you thinking....? 
It doesn't look anywhere near the way you hoped it would.
(Even the camera shots are bad.... you just don't want to look!)

And with the spotlight shining in.....
It needs a lot of work.
But I was sure that would be the case...

The grout color is much too pale to begin with.... 
and the floor is supposed to look old...
I knew I would have to "age" it anyway.
The first task was to "polish" the tiles 
to remove as much of the filmy grout layer as possible.
I used an old dishtowel, dry not wet.  
(The grout is quite abrasive and tears paper to bits)
And in one or two places I scraped back the grout
 where it encroached too much on the tile....
 (my hand-made tiles are very irregular in size)
But the chief task was going to be applying a
 "muddy wash" to the floor. 
This is another one of those steps
 that is very anxiety producing....!
It is just impossible to tell as you are applying the wash
 how dark it will end up once it is dry.

I used a watered down mixture of black and burnt umber acrylic paint....
 more black than umber... and very watered down.
I started in the back corner by the stairs... 
and it instantly looks much too dark!
You have to apply it in small areas and wipe it off the tiles before they dry.
 I basically want the grout darker, but the tiles not too dulled down.

It is hard to see back there.... but knowing that
 I am probably not making it dark enough....
 I went back over it a couple of times....

I decided to mostly work in from the edges.... 
doing the outer darker tiles first... 
and deciding about the middle later....
The grout drinks the water right up..... 
(And the acrylic paint actually seals the grout nicely)
but you have to clean the tiles off....
 mix, slather, wipe....
(It is rather messy!)

At this point you are sure that it won't be right....
The middle won't look right with the darker grout....
But you just have to carry on!

Because you won't be able to tell for sure until it is dry!

And if you made it too dark..... 
it will just have to stay too dark!
(Like a dirty old floor!)

It does help to walk away.
 
And maybe look in later with a little atmospheric lighting....
 just to check on it.... 
because who can resist....?
I know... you can't really see it without the spotlights!

Which do shed rather a lot of light.....

And maybe make me think it doesn't look too bad...?

But it is night.... will I still like it in the morning....?

On a Dark and Gloomy morning...... 
in a hurry because I must go to work....
I can't tell.... 
but I run my hand over the floor and it feels beautiful!

And much later.... can we add the lights....?
It is growing on me....!

And with the spotlights....?
Is it the right amount of dirty.... or not enough....?




Ah.... perhaps it is too soon to tell!
I will have to wait for a beautiful brilliant morning....
I will have to add the door and the ceiling....
I might have to live with it for a while...
But really, Dear Readers, perfect or not...
I am loving this floor with the grout!
It feels so real!
It's about time!



12 comments:

  1. Dear Betsy, many of your posts read like a conversation where you take the reader on a little journey rather than just a text. Halfway this post I really thought all would go south with this floor. But thankfully all is well at the end. :-) And I agree with you. The result is looking very good.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that whole room is perfection. A task you don't look forward to, but must be done, like hand-washing your favorite sweater. Again, I am agog at your patience. Well worth it.
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those tiles and the mix of colors - especially the accent ones with a star. Great job on the grout and aging too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do I ever understand the trepidation with grouting the entire way through! And you are so right - you just have to live with it for a while before you let yourself see how great it really looks! And in my eyes, it is Fabulous!!! I love the grout color and the "dirt" and it looks perfectly aged and seasoned! But sometimes our minds convince us that there is something wrong, like a word you've spelled perfectly for years suddenly looking so wrong. Just walk away and in a week you'll be patting yourself on the back as you should be! It's a gorgeous room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, Betsy, I do understand very well your hesitation, because it can be a tricky job to do! At first I thought that you've ruined this floor using the darker color washing, but at the end it seemed all is well regarding the castle floor. Well, you've made it very exciting for us to read this blog post ;). I think your tiled floor looks fantastic, no, BEAUTIFUL, so you've done great work!!
    And I've learned something again from you: how to handle grout AND never to hesitate, just do it!! Why I am telling you this...? Well, I'm currently working on a tiled floor for outdoors at the kitchenside of the mini farm and I am almost ready for the grouting process ;)!
    Stay healthy, take care, dear Betsy.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks brilliant, Betsy! Oh, that cheeky self-doubt, I know it all too well. But you had no need to worry. The floor is simply fabulous. I know the very early morning photo does not show the floor - but I love that picture!
    Stay well, Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for sticking with it and plowing through the anxiety and making the color work with your tiles, Betsy! I can certainly understand and appreciate your uncertainty about the final outcome, but I think that your grout looks GRAND!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Betsy, do you write suspense novels? How can someone write a very suspenseful piece out of grout!! I don´t know but you did it, I was biting my nails here! and most importantly, you achieved a great look at the end, those tiles look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks wonderful! Tiling is always so nerve-wracking isn't it? And then grout! Arghhh...every little imperfection shows up so glaringly. I really love how it looks though. A floor in a medieval or renaissance castle shouldn't be perfect. With all the tiles hand made there would always be some irregularity which is part of the charm!

    You did awesome. It really looks beautiful and with those torches even better if that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think it turned out beautifully, like that windex commercial light is life. even in the dark it looks good..like a real floor and thats the point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phew, what a relief... and what a pleasure! I must confess I love stories with some good thrill and suspense in it but with a happy ending! ;O) The result is absolutely stunning - all the work, effort and yes, all the courage really paid off! And you're once more my hero because you've managed this task in such an awesome way... I know somebody (I'm not telling any names) who had to glue two wooden floors in this week and was sweating with anxiety and needed quite a good while before finally doing it. And what is this compared to your task and the risks that were involved? Fantastic work... and even more having in mind that you were still recovering from the big "No-hinges-shock"... *grin*

    I've really enjoyed the pictures, especially with the lights on - the atmosphere is magical indeed. And I'm convinced you will still love this floor after some days... and for all the days yet to come. Keep on crafting and take good care of yourself!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  12. The floor turned out really well despite all your angst! Clearly the sign of a true perfectionist. You could so easily have put in a "worn" wooden floor, but no - you went to greater lengths and created something much more fitting. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete