Monday, April 20, 2020

Waiting For Supplies....




Lacking Focus....

I Thought I would be starting on grouting the Castle floor, Dear Readers, but when I looked at my grout supplies, I began to worry that one package of the material would not quite be enough for the entire floor! And what if I got most of the way done and ran out? I didn't even want to think of that, so I decided to order more and while I was ordering some grout, I could get a few other little things too! So I made up a little list and called in my order to Hobby Builders Supply. But imagine my dismay when I discovered that of all the things on my list, the Grout was on back-order...! Time of arrival unknown! It was to come from China as so many things do. So I have to wait. And while casting around for what to focus on instead, I realized that I also needed a small project that I could work on during my regular "commuting hours"... my drive is normally about 45 minutes each way which adds up to a lot every day. I was finding myself turning on the computer and "getting to work" too early and wasting time. So I pulled out the many kits I have for petit-point... and chose another one by Janet Granger, and started the design. At this point in the project it doesn't look like much! And then I remembered that I never showed you the completed Santa Stocking I was stitching in the Winter....

I don't recall exactly what I showed you last, 
but I was working on the background.
The kit design would have you stitch the
 entire background with the blue....
But I thought Santa needed to be 
a little more "Grounded" than that!

I wanted him walking through the cold snow... 
not drifting in the sky!
So I made the bottom of the stocking white
 with pale blue shadows...

And here it is with the stitching done.
Of course, I have not stitched it
 to the back of the stocking yet!
 
 
Just for reference, here is the stocking next to the design chart.
But that was already months ago!
 
And I am sure some of you are wondering
 what has happened with The Dollmaker's Studio Project 
while I have been busy in the Castle Council Chamber....
 Well, not much! 
 
I spent a good bit of time testing out different pieces of furniture...
 to get a feel for what would Fit in this small space... 
you will recognize some of the "visiting" pieces... 
just being borrowed to test the ideas.
The idea is that this little building is a converted carriage house... 
or a "sleigh house" if we are to think of it as a "Northern Themed" project.
(See how I got around using the "C"word?!)
The ground floor was made into living space
 with sleeping space upstairs.
 The stairs will be in the tower.
And now that it is a "Workshop" or "Studio"... 
the living space has to have a worktable
 as well as the minimal cooking facilities...

This is not the stove that will be here... 
but just here for size and position....
There has to be seating by the big door 
so needlework can be done in good lighting.

The upstairs will also have worktables and sewing supplies...
The original purpose of this project was an expansion
 on the "Atelier de Poupee" kit from
 Sandra Morris of Tower House Dolls.
The beginnings of her kit are tucked into 
the alcove at the back of the upstairs room.
And the attic... not shown here 
will have a sleeping nook for weary creative types.

A Smaller table fits better... but doesn't allow much surface space...

A Larger table dominates the space....

And some carpeting samples.... 
old ragged pieces.... nothing fancy....
But setting the tone...
So where is the problem? I hear you ask..?
The problem is that I never expected to
 keep the paneling that sienna color!
I was intending to paint it a rich dark green... 
in keeping with an over-all red and green color scheme....

Like this.....!
But I am having a terrible time giving up the paneling as it is!

Even the door frame is supposed to be painted!
I just can't decide....

So I wandered off to the Attic of Hardwick Hall... 
because you will remember I had "borrowed" the fire
from the unfinished fireplace to use it in 
testing the fire in the Castle Council Chamber...


The fireplace needs to be fit very snugly beside the Spiral Stairs...
And there is a "Tree" growing up the stairs... 
it's branches supporting the stairs...
 I was just getting going on this when 
the Lilac Mania took over... two years ago!

I had to clear everything out of the attic....
There is so much that is unfinished in this House...
  and most of it is waiting for the electrical work in the attic to be finished....

And a closer view of one of my favorite reading nooks....
(Sorry... the lighting is poor...)

I spent some time wrestling with the tree and the stairs
 and carving off pieces of the chimney...
Because until we get the fire wired in place... 
all the rooms below must remain unfinished...


And the stairs have to end up landing at the cupola....

Which also is not part of the original kit structure... 
and has to be constructed from scratch...!

 So, There you have it, Dear Readers, 
I am not sure I accomplished anything at all....
While waiting for supplies....
and Lacking Focus!

I hope you all are keeping well and staying safe!
And making minis too!






12 comments:

  1. Well, I'd say you definitely accomplished something important. You have so many projects all in partly finished state, I think you needed to do this kind of inventory & prioritizing. Carry on!
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tienes dos grandes proyectos en marcha, es un poco frustrante no poder obtener materiales pero también está bien cambiar un poco y el punto de cruz es muy laborioso en esa escala tan pequeña, los modelos son muy bonitos,cuídate:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your post has accurately portrayed the general "unfocused" feeling of so many of us, Betsy. We all know just how frustrating it is to NEED something to Complete something, ony to find out that you MUST WAIT INDEFINITELY for it; and waiting can be so difficult! And yet no one I know, has the vast reserves of Patience such as you possess Betsy- it's legendary!
    The new embroidery project sounds lovely and your Santa stocking turned out PERFECT from heel to toe! :D
    The effects of the fireplace and the spiral staircase next to each other is REALLY LOVELY!!! I'm enamoured with the contrast between the solidity of the stone and the airy and delicate structure of the stairs co-joined by a tree, which continues the magical, fairytale quality of your Hardwick Hall. And I for one must say, Betsy, how satisfying it has been to re-visit and re-focus on this Incredible House again as you patiently await your grout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will say that if you're looking for grout, you can get drywall spackle and mix some grey paint into it. It actually wipes off easier and it's cheaper than the grout from HBS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Entiendo lo frustrante que es necesitar material y no tener manera de conseguirlo! Pero hay que mirar siempre el lado positivo,coges otros proyectos,tomas un poco de perspectiva y cuando lo retomes de nuevo quizás sea más gratificante!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waiting can be hard, especially now in these times, Besty, so I feel for you! But you've spent your time well, doing this kind of inventory & prioritizing is much needed sometimes. Seen the amount of unfinished projects it was really needed for getting overview. So, you've done alot ;)!!
    Nice to read that you have plans for embroidery again, the "Northern Themed" stocking (and special for you: I also didn't use the "C-word" ;O)) is so beautiful already. Your choice was right, for changing the color of the base into white and not the'flying' blue, much better this way.
    The fireplace and the spiral staircase next to each other is a special but very good possibility, you have such an eye for this sort of detail, I love it!
    Stay healthy, dear Betsy, take care.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you did spent your time very well! Focused or not, at least you did something! One day you will know it had to be and you will be happy you did what you are doing now. Don't lose faith! By the way; I love the Santa Stocking! Before you know it you will be needing it ;-) !!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy that you remembered to show us the stocking because it is absolutely divine and grounding Santa was Brilliant! I would have never attempted to go away from the instructions because I have zero needle skills, but you my dear, are amazing!

    What a treat to see the interior design plan for the Doll Maker's Cottage! I love the hutch and the chairs, especially the burgundy with the green behind it. But I'd be so scared to cover the wainscot's lovely finish, too! I really like the wallpaper and the rug on the left together, and my favorite first instinct table was the first. Probably because I love the legs and it is a perfect match for the wainscot finish!

    I can so empathize with the decision making quandaries and generally it takes me about two weeks of weighing a decision before I KNOW the right way or I just get exasperated and go with my gut to keep the project moving forward.

    Or I move to option three which is revisiting past projects like you. Hardwick Hall is such an amazing project to fall back to and it would not bother me a bit if you suddenly caught wind on it again and were able to solve some dilemmas there!

    Decision making is such a great accomplishment, though when the making of them is in progress, it can feel like you're stuck. Just let yourself go with the flow, dear Betsy, and trust yourself completely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stocking with the little bit of your own touch is incredible.
    It mush be frustrating not to be able to get on with your original plans but it's also nice to check other projects meanwhile. It was nice to see the photos.
    Stay safe!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear you have to wait for needed supplies but you've found a great way to keep yourself busy while waiting. Or in other words - it doesn't matter which one of your fantastic projects is getting in your focus because I'll always enjoy very much to see what you're going to do with it next. ;O)

    So nice to see the fireplace and the tree stairs of Hardwick Hall again. And playing along with furniture to get an impression what can be used in the Studio is very important. To me this is both fun and personal disaster because this is always the point in the project when I need to face the bitter truth that there will be once more not enough space for all the crazy ideas I had planned to stuff in there in my poor imagination. *LOL*

    And I understand your dilemma about the color of your panels... well, you can still keep that and go for a red and green color scheme of C... eh... oops... a Northern theme, that's what I wanted to say of course, I mean, who would ever think of C now in April... apart from me who has already ordered the photos for this year's you-know-what cards and started to round their edges... eh, where was I... oh yes... I still wanted to say that I liked the table shown in the first picture featuring the Dollmaker's Studio best. The plate is big but the sturdy leg in the middle is in my opinion making it appear less heavy than the big table with the four legs. Anyhow, you're going to impress us with whatever you're going to put in there and whatever color the panels will have.

    Keep on crafting and focusing on working miracles. Oh, and not to forget: The stitched stocking is awesome - and a brilliant idea to change the design, it makes so much more sense this way and looks much more interesting than with just blue.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Betsy, maybe it didn’t feel like you achieved a lot but we need to fiddle around with things, checking for fit or the right feel, and hopefully that will trigger the ‘ah-ha’ moment, when everything will fall into place. I am sure it will. We can’t be completely focussed all of the time. Hope this is a great week for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Betsy,

    Waiting can be frustrating indeed. It makes ones focus wander all over the place. I myself have trouble focusing on mini's myself, while several people congratulate me over the phone, because; 'now you have more time for them than you normally do'. They ought to be right but the hours seem to fly by without any real progress on my part. So please hang in there for now. All will (eventually) be well again.

    ReplyDelete