Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Curtains....

 


Of Velvet and Lace....

I added the lace curtains to the two little windows on the opening wall, Dear Readers, and because they are so like the first lace curtain, I didn't take many pictures of them. But I did get a great shot of them through the window in the morning light! (I love the morning light in this house!) And because I was admiring the lace in the morning light, I thought I would show you the other lace curtains again, in the morning light, before they become partly obscured by the velvet ones.

I am sure I am not the only one who falls in love with the mini decor
 at every stage of its creation... almost reluctant to add the next layer...
(like my trouble with deciding to paint the paneling!) 
and yet eventually it all seems to come together
 and "be" what it was meant to be when you first dreamed of it...!
But that means you must persevere and keep adding new layers...
So I began the velvet curtains.

Velvet is a tricky material to work with, and strictly speaking,
 it is completely out of scale in mini rooms!
But I love it, and you might have noticed that
 I am not a "stickler" for perfect scale in all my minis.
I love the look that I think of as "antique dollhouse" 
which is more charming than perfect...
more "enchanting world" than museum piece.
And so I allow myself to use pieces of velvet for curtains!
I don't remember where or when I bought this cloth.... 
but it is the sort of cloth that I buy whenever I find it!
It is lush and regal and opulent and old fashioned.
(And I have been imagining it as dollhouse curtains for a long time!)
But you cannot use the "pretty pleater" methods on it.
 It will not work to wet it with glue or spray. 
So I use the wire in the hems method of trying to be
 able to shape the drape of the cloth.
In this case I am using florist's covered wire stitched all around the edge.

And because I like to be able to manipulate the curtains.... 
opening and closing them...
I have sewn tiny curtain rings to the top edge.


And we need a double curtain rod too.


And I know it is a little hard to see, Dear Readers,
 but if you look closely you will see that the rod support hooks 
on the left side have had the "eye" pried open part way.
This allows for the curtain rod to be slid in and out of the supports
 to change the curtain if I need to... and to work on it now.
There is no glue involved at all!


So I can test how it will fit as I am sewing it.


And with "pleats" caused by shaping the wired hem...


And both curtains...


Here I am pinning the bottom hems...
This is looking in through the side door to the tower stairs 
(not yet started...)


And because I have dreamed of it... 
there needs to be gold braid and fringe...


Which has to be tested in place...
(Lots of testing in place with these curtains!)


One curtain with the braid and fringe all stitched on!


Stitching the other one....


And both curtains are completed!
But of course, it has become late and is dark out.


And in the morning light, Dear Readers, 
I begin to feel that the curtains are right for this room!
They are bold and lush and Beautiful!
Yes, they dominate that wall.... 
but it is the side wall.... 
There will be many more things to rival
 the brilliant curtains before this room is done!

And that was all I accomplished
 last weekend, Dear Readers,
But now I have my beautiful 
lush curtains of Velvet and Lace!



10 comments:

  1. Tienes razón, el terciopelo es muy difícil de trabajar en medidas tan pequeñas, pero es lo perfecto para tu castillo, no lo hubiera imaginado de otra manera! El tip de hacerle los pliegues con alambre es una solución excelente y combinado con el encaje, resulta un conjunto excelente!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Enchanting! Opulent! And Perfect! I absolutely love the drapes and the ingenious method for getting them to behave! And hooray for morning sunlight and what it does for our souls (and our dollhouse photos)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly beautiful! What a lot of work for one set of curtains for one window in only one of your many projects! You will never be without projects to complete, I guarantee! Actually, completion is not the goal, is it?
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Velvet and lace are perfectly right for this room. I love the combination of texture and colors.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  5. These curtains are indeed opulent and absolutely perfect for the room. Great job of brining your vision to fruition! - Marilyn D., New Brunswick, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the red velvet curtains too, it's such a very enchanting and beautiful combination with the old lace!! Thank you for showing us how you did ply the curtains before they will be hang at the curtain rods. Using the floral wire is a good tip, thank you Betsy!
    The combination of the complemntary colors red and green this combination is beautiful and together with the gold braid and fringes they give a opulent look in this room.
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lux and elegant! Nothing like red velvet drapes for elevating a room. They really suit the colours and feel of the room, especially with the lace to soften the look. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous drapes and sheers!

    I've had good luck gluing tin foil to the back of the fabric. Since you have the sheers to keep the foil from showing through the windows that could work for you in the future. Obviously you have to be careful with your glue so it doesn't go through the fabric to the pretty side but the pleats are really great once it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good thing that your dreams are always as detailed as they are demanding - making you even add a gold braid and fringes. *LOL* But you and your dreams have always been the best dreamteam (and yes, I could not resist this one *grin*) because they alway lead you to creative heights which never stop to impress me. And to see how your dreams become reality using the most clever solutions like the floral wire when all other methods don't work well due to the character of the fabric is always awesome and inspirational. It was a lot of work and you needed to spend a lot of time for these curtains but it was worth it - the result is stunning and the curtains look elegant, opulent and magical. To me it looks like the entrance to a fairytale world - going through it would mean entering a magical world where everything can happen... like for example snowmen enjoying a sleigh ride, fairy bearies giggling in the clouds, wizards keeping watch over time and little dreamers dreaming on.

    And you can imagine I was totally agreeing with you when you said "I love the look (...) which is more charming than perfect...more "enchanting world" than museum piece." I'm sooooo with you - I always admire so much those realistic builds when one could never tell from the photos if it's real or a miniature. But this is not meant for me, not only because of my limitations when it comes to working with heavy tools but even more because I'm glad that I have my own niche and can do whatever my crazy brain tells me to. *LOL* So I'm happy now because I'm convinced that you'll never stop buying such pieces of velvet just to have them at hand when the day comes when you'll need them - and to prove that something supposed not to be working can bring the most beautiful results. And now I say goodbye for today because I really need to take my pill which shall prevent me from always writing extreme long sentences - looks like I need a higher dose... *grin*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  10. A pesar de la dificultad, el trabajo merece la pena.
    Le da un aspecto elegante y suntuoso.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete