Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Let There Be Light.....

 


Heaven Scent... Lilacs....

Yes, the Lilacs are Blooming, Dear Readers, in RL and in my mini world. But capturing the moment of sunlight in my dark corner of the work room is tricky indeed. The Dollmaker's Studio project is sitting in the spot where the sun shines more fully, so I must catch the few brief moments when the lilac is lit early in the morning if it is a sunny day! You can see the sliver of light reaching into the garden in the picture above.

Aaahhh.... it really is magnificent!
 (And worth being late to work to catch the best shots!)


It only lasts a couple of moments and then it is gone.


But the lilac is magnificent even in the gloom!

But I am sure what you really want to see, Dear Readers, 
 is what I accomplished on my Dollmaaker's Studio project.
You may recall that I wanted to get the alcove completed
 so I could attach it at the back of the room.
Once the wallpaper was attached I needed to add the baseboards
 and the ceiling trim, and the ceiling panel itself.


And I hope you are not surprised that I needed to paint the ceiling first!
You can see the beginnings here... a sky with rosy clouds...


And testing it in place.... 
but it needs the trim too...
 

Which will be gilded....


And with some cherubs looking over the worktable!


Can we get a sense of how it will look...?


And in the alcove with the lamp...
because we need to see if it adds enough light!
Because I have not figured out the lighting for this room yet...
This is the battery operated led lamp that comes with the kit.


I also needed to "beef up" the woodwork on either side of the alcove, 
to equal the mass of the rocks in the arch.
And finish adding the baseboard trim as well.
And while I was painting things....


I was also working on the fireplace...
 painting the brickwork...
(This was surprisingly challenging to paint!)


With the morning light shining into the room 
I can see the  way the alcove is shaping up!


Even better with the light on!
(Forgive me, Dear Readers, this will be a long post!)


With the baseboards added, the alcove itself is complete!


And I must tell you that the tiles for the fireplace
 were bought a few years ago with a gift certificate
 given to me by a Secret Santa for our annual Christmas Party at work.
I think they suit this fireplace perfectly!


Testing in place..... I Know....
It is too dark!

But what I was really eager to get working on Dear Readers,
was painting the rest of the ceiling...
I needed to get it all done at once.... 
using the same paint mixtures and with the same "feel" to the painting....


I had already primed the board and added the blue sky paint... 
so it was just about the clouds...


And testing to be sure it works with the section in the alcove.


Then adding layering and detail to the clouds....
 

And the cherubs...!


You have no idea how many times I had to put the ceiling in place
 to see if I was getting the perspective even remotely right...


Because the angle of viewing does make a difference!


Testing in place.... with the flash...
 because it is late and getting dark and impossible to see...


But there has to be another cherub....


And another testing....
But I think the painting is finished....
(It took hours and Hours!)

And you must know those darling cherubs are holding the lamp!
(Where is that lamp....!)


This is another old salvaged item... 
two out of three of the lights work...
but I need to find my plugs in the light of morning.
So for now, all we have is the flash.


But with the morning light.... 
can you see the picture...?

Here, come closer!
But I must go to work... 
I will have to see about the lamp later.
 

 Ah... there it is! 


Can you see them now... holding up the light...?


Well, Dear Readers, whether you can see them or not....
We have light!
And we can even call it Heaven sent!
I hope you are all finding the light in your lives too!


10 comments:

  1. Oh Betsy, this is wonderful!!!
    I would love to be the dollmaker, sitting at that table beneath a sky of fluffy clouds and being watched over by Cherubs! What could be better?
    The alcove and ceiling have come together beautifully - I look at it and just wish I could paint!
    The fireplace (of course) is perfect. Looks to me like the tiles were just waiting to find their forever home.
    Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Betsy, I can see the cherubs holding the light .... and the third not sure if they will let it descend.
    Best of all are those wonderful tiles. What a treasure that helps create a wonderful fireplace.
    I do hope your eyes will not fail you working in such poor lighting.
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ceilings are wonderful! I love how it looks with the light especially. The clouds are all shadowy and the center is so bright with the cherubs.

    And your lilacs are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s looking awesome Betsy! Good work on the tiny cherubs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ceilings are a masterpiece. I really like the cherubs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wonderful pictures of your blooming lilac would have been enough to make my day! Thank you for taking the time (aka making yourself rush to work) - the beams of sunshine kissing this masterpiece of miniature art are pure eye candy... and the best soul food. Believe it or not, but the other day I was admiring my own lilac twig which came into my hands as I was rifling through my foxglove-W.I.P. Ah, I'm soooo looking forward to the day when I'll be able to place one of the most outstanding gifts I ever received to its dedicated place. But sadly there's a problem waiting ahead - I need to build the scene for it first and you know me... every snail is a race horse compared to me... *LOL*

    And after the lilac's beauty the beauty of this ceiling... You blew me away with this, you really did! The idea itself is awesome, I love the two cheeky guys peeping over the dollmaker's shoulders. And as it was drawn by you it turned out beautiful. But learning next that the whole ceiling would get this gorgeous design and seeing it develop from photo to photo... what a pleasure and what fun! At first I was wondering why the putti were holding this chain... and then discovering what brilliant plan was behind that. Having the putti hold the lamp is a stroke of genius! This is amazing, awesome work... or in other words: Made by Betsy!

    And not to forget the fireplace also turned out beautiful, the tiles are just perfect for it and the bricks (although they were time consuming) look stunning. I can't wait to see it with a cozy fire flickering in.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your ceiling murals - and the cherubic guardian angels! Nice job on the fireplace too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures of your gorgeous lilac shrubs are always beautiful to see, thank you for this extra treat, dear Betsy!
    The ceiling has become a true gem, but of course when you take out your brushes you always do your Betsy-Magic! This lovely ceiling of yours makes me think of the ceilings painted by the famous Dutch painter Jacob de Wit, he painted lots of the ceiling of the expensive canal houses in Amsterdam.
    The gilded trim is perfect for this eyecatcher with his cherubs.
    The fireplace looks awesome with these very beautiful tiles (thanks to a secret Santa ;O)) and brickwork in it.
    But what surprised me that you also were painting a whole ceiling, including the cherubs, for this room: AWESOME, Betsy! You also made sure the the angle of viewing, because this really does make a difference! You're a professional in painting and know how to handle the view very well. I couldn't be more surprised, but I was, that you painted the cherubs in a way so that they could hold up the lamp, yes, I could see it clearly now. What a huge surprise, this is soooo you!!!
    This blogpost of yours really brightened up my start of this day, thank you, dear Betsy!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful room! Maybe the most beautiful in your entire collection. Long post, yes, but mostly lovely pictures.
    Carry on,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ceiling gives the feel of loftiness. Dreamy. At least that is how it makes me feel!

    ReplyDelete