Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Carpet Continued...

 


 And a Little Distraction...

As You can see, Dear Readers, I have been making great progress on the carpet stitching! I have to confess, I have been more than a little obsessed with figuring out whether or not I had enough threads in the right colors to finish the roses. And there was really only one way of proving it... and that was by stitching all the roses! The above picture proves that, yes, I did! There was not a lot of thread left over in the end, and I had even used some of the "tail ends" I had saved from the first round of stitching the roses according to the charted kit instructions.

This is all that was left of the pinks 
and the darker "green" for the leaves!
(Really a grayish green.)
But the color I was most concerned about...
 the off-white that was the background inside the "cartouches"
was in extremely short supply.
I was certain I would not have enough for all four corner cartouches.


But you can rest assured that I had a back-up supply!
As I was deciding to add to this carpet,
 and was debating the quantity of threads needed,
 I remembered that I had leftover threads from other kits I had completed... 
and some of the threads were the same colors I would need!
In particular, the white was so close a match...
 I could not tell the difference...

The number on this pack is 882...
The number on the carpet white is 881...


But which is which?
 

 This is the third corner with the white background added.


And here they are all four corners completed!
And the red in the scroll-work as well... 
which I was also a little worried about having enough threads!
So now all that is needed is the dark red background filled in... 
and if I run out of those threads, 
the same color is part of that other kit! 
No worries!!
 
But what is the distraction I hear you ask?
Well, Dear Readers, I have the unusual habit
 of painting on my walls...
And I start what will someday be a very elaborate painted mural... 
and then I add to it from time to time... 
and it takes years and years...
 and I have yet to "finish"...
But I felt like adding to my bedroom mural....


Just the small blossoms along the bottom.... 
the bigger trees and shrubs have been there for years now...
(This is just part of one wall...)

It is supposed to be a morning in May....
So all the blossoms are the ones that would be blooming in May...
even though it is now July...
But some of the blossoms I can still pick to see if I have them right...
 
Like this little Johnny jump-up...!
(I apologize for the dark photo... it was a gloomy rainy day)
 

Of course, one can get endlessly lost in the details...
I painted for hours... all weekend....
 
And it still isn't finished.....
 

Not by a long shot.....!
But it is progress!
And not only do I love doing it....
 getting lost in the details....
But it gives me endless pleasure to look at it... 
especially on cold Winter nights...
When one can hardly remember the color green...!
 
So you can see 
I got a little Distracted, Dear Readers, 
but I made progress on some of my 
unfinished projects....
Big and small!

 

16 comments:

  1. The carpet is looking fabulous...how lovely that you will not run out of the colours necessary to complete it. The mural is colourful and will no doubt brighten up a winter day! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that carpet! It is surprising just how long it takes to finish such a small piece, isn't it. Any of us who are also into cross stitch and embroidery know just how many hours go into such a task. How creative you are with your bedroom walls. I think I would be too nervous to try something like that myself so I take joy in seeing your results. Thank you for sharing. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dos trabajos fantásticos , la pared muy creativa y la alfombra muy laboriosa .Buen verano

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy I was literally just telling Russ the other night about your painting and specifically the murals you paint on your walls! Incredibly beautiful, and such an amazing talent you possess! If I could paint like that I would definitely get lost in doing it, as well! How wonderful to wake up every day to see this gorgeous scene and be reminded what a beautiful world we live in!
    And the rug is so, so pretty! The pay off in then end, after so much time and care invested, is so worth it! I am glad you have plenty of floss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say that's a heck of a distraction and definitely a gorgeous one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fortunate that the whites are so close in colour that any difference isn’t discernible! The carpet looks truly beautiful. Also I am impressed you have painted a mural in your bedroom. I love colour and a handpainted home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dos trabajos increíbles. Cuando estén terminados serán fantásticos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have been relieved to notice the white and red colors were just enough for this new carpet, Betsy, and it turned out beautiful already!! And above all you made great progress too!
    That mural painting is just gorgeous, you are so very, very talented, it must be so lovely to see it every day when you wake up. I can imagine you got lost in painting more details to it, simply because that's who you are: a fantastic artist.
    Happy Summer to you, dear Betsy, and stay well!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that mural.
    And I was going to say "white is white" but being a knitter I know better. Lovely!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. You would not believe how much I enjoyed this very special trip back to May! This mural of yours is awesome in every way... and in the role of "the cherry on the cream" appears a lilac, well, what else! *smile* It's not surprising to me that this is an "unusual habit" of yours because it takes an outstanding artist to create something like this. Wonderful details, wonderful work, I could get lost in that picture dreaming myself away... and forgetting about the real date of the calendar and that this holiday which shall not be named is coming nearer. *gulp*

    And hooray that there were enough threads to finish your outstanding carpet. Oh I can imagine the tension you had meanwhile... but that's for sure the best about every story, a lot of exitement and then a very happy ending! The carpet is beautiful in every way and as always I admire your stitching speed; even more regarding all the awesome work you had with painting those daffodils, parrot tulips and all the other beauties. Happy stitching - or happy distraction! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Un trabajo precioso.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bedroom wall mural is stunning and gets more so with each new addition. You are a most talented painter, dear Betsy.
    How wonderful that you'll have enough threads to complete stitching your lovely carpet.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  13. La alfombra se ve hermosa! y me alegro que no te quedes sin hilo para terminarla!
    Tu mural se ve tan alegre y colorido, alegra la vista, me encantan los murales pintados a mano, hacen de un día gris una explosión de optimismo!
    Buen verano!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How great to see this carpet develop. The altered design for the enlarged carpet looks so genuine and original. As if it was always the intended pattern. I love to see it when it is finished.

    And this also illustrates the importance of keeping remnants that van be used for something else. and with miniatures, even a little bit can sure come a long way. :-)

    The murals are nothing short of spectacular. They make your bedroom into a truly unique room!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete