Monday, October 4, 2021

Heavens Above.....

 


 Going A Little Wild....

I Suppose, Dear Readers, that some of you would not be surprised to learn that the ceiling of The Lord's Council Chamber in The Castle would end up being painted a Midnight Blue, and that the Blue would need to have glittering stars strewn across the surface. Above, you can see the ceiling, (I know it is dark and difficult to see very well...) with the sturdy, ornately carved timber beams that support it. These beams were constructed a long time ago, but cannot be fastened in place until I complete the painting on the Map on the wall. This is because I need to be able to squeeze myself in close enough to see what I am painting, and this requires leaving the ceiling off for now. But I hope you will be glad to know I have made great progress on both the Wall Map Painting and on the Starry ceiling!

This is what the ceiling beams look like with the Flash turned on...
It is waayy too bright for my liking, 
but it shows in clear detail the varied carvings on each of the beams.
This came about because I simply could not make up my mind
 which carved pattern was most suitable... 
so I decided to use them all!
And in the end, it is so hard to see the beams
 that it really doesn't matter if they are all different.


Here I am adding the stars.
 I wanted to be careful to make them random.
It is a slow process, adding a tiny drop of glue
 and sticking one tiny star on each drop of the glue.
 

Of course, I had to keep testing it in place
 to be sure we could see the glittering stars at all, 
and to be sure there were enough stars, but not too many.... 


Gradually filling the Heavens with those beautiful glittering stars!


This is so hard to photograph! 
I promise you, the stars glitter beautifully!


Even in the daylight this is a dark room.

And once the stars above had been completed, Dear Readers, 
it was time to turn my attention to the Map!


And I forgot to take pictures until I had already made some additions.
I have wrestled with how much detail I wanted to add, 
and how much "realism" to include, 
and how much "Imaginary Medieval Monsters" should be there...
And in the end, I decided to stop thinking about it,
 and just add whatever jumped off my pen!
Which turned out to be quite a bit!


Starting with some Angels guarding the walls of Paradise...
Some Dragons and other Wild Beasts... 
and Sea Monsters and a Mermaid...
A Unicorn.... 
and a whole lot more Castles and mountains...
 
And color!
 

 Which isn't exactly easy to do!
Even with the ceiling out of the way
 and a clamp lamp shining brightly
I can't get my head and hand in very close.
(Which explains some of the strange details
 you can see if you expand the pictures!)


It is also rather hard to get the camera in the space
 and at a good angle to capture the details.
(This is what happens when you decide to paint
 on the walls of an already constructed building!)
I am assuming that the Medieval Artist.... 
whoever they were... had a fairly primitive style...


And as with many Medieval Artworks... 
where there were empty spaces ...
 there was ground for the Imagination to go a Little Wild!


That is as far as I got, Dear Readers....
And while it is not quite finished yet, 
I think I made good progress on the starry Heavens above...
and only went a Little Wild on the Map!

 

7 comments:

  1. Dear Betsy, I know pictures often don't do reality justice, but it looks wonderful! I just love the tinkle of the starry ceiling and map with all it's trails, tails, monsters and other creatures is just fabulous. I cannot believe how you manage so much tiny detail painting in such an awkward space. Well done :)
    Ann X

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful room. Love the "ancient" map of Europe.
    Hastening on to the blog about your visit...
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is leaping for joy to see you working on the starlight ceiling and on the incredibly detailed map again, Betsy! Dragons? Angels? Unicorn? Mermaid? Elephants? This world truly has it all and is just inspiring adventure! And each star lovingly placed in perfect harmony to the others? It's nice to imagine that God did the very same thing when he so perfectly created the originals! Seeing you wedged into that space shows just how much you love this project and the level of detail you are determined to impart. Thanks for sharing this incredible creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Betsy! Really fun ideas and great execution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ceiling is stunning and magic. And the old map is very detailed. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Betsy,

    I love the shiny star spangled ceiling. It really fits into the council chamber. The map has become even more imoressive with the latest additions. Espescially when you take into account you have to work in an angle.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your starry heavens look wonderful! And the map is so cool!

    ReplyDelete