Monday, November 7, 2022

Ravenwood .....

 


More Windows...

You Might Recall, Dear Readers, that a few weeks ago, before the Mayhem that is All Hallows Eve on this blog took over, I was embarking on the building of the 144th scale Ravenwood Kit designed by Sean and Robin Betterley. It is a wonderful kit! But soon after I started to build it I realized that I needed to make a few changes. The first was adding a window to the Tower attic, because I could not accept that there was an attic with no access at all. Well, no sooner had I added it, than I looked at the other two attic rooms on the sides of the house and decided that they had to have windows too. I hadn't noticed this lack when I was making the Secret Christmas House kit, many years ago, but now I just thought an attic room with no window was intolerable! So I started right in cutting the openings in the roof.

This was done in much the same way as the window for the Tower, 
starting by drilling a hole with an ever larger bit. 
Only this time the window wanted to have a pointed gothic shape.
So I used my small files to form the window opening into the gothic arch.


Then I added the cardboard "dormer roof" over each one,
 trying to match them in size as best I could.
(I am hand cutting all these pieces.)


Here you can see the position of the window when
 the "pullout" section is in the House frame.
It is on the side of the building rather than the front
 because I want to be able to see the dormer window
 from inside when I have the rooms "open".


The next step was to try to cut a window frame out of card stock...


And paint it black... 
it is easier to do this step before
 you cut it completely out of the card stock...


Then I glued it and the window pane... 
(cut from thick plastic packaging...)
into the opening, trying to be sure
 it remained as vertical as possible.
 

Here you can see the window with the light reflecting off it...
 clearly showing how uneven my window panes are!
(But who is ever going to be close enough to notice that ...?)


Here is the dormer seen from the interior of the room.
 I painted the interior of the dormer a color similar
 to the wallpaper which will be used in this room...
 we will see how it looks when the paper is added.


Here you can see both windows are done!


I really like the view through the window into the room!


And even better the "window shadow" on the floor!


And here the "rooms" are inside the house frame...
 showing the new windows in the attic rooms!
And I hope you will agree with me, Dear Readers,
that in spite of all the beautiful windows that came with this kit,
 it definitely needed a few more!


8 comments:

  1. The windows for the side attics are a splendid addition, Betsy! I am so impressed at your ability to create such tiny components, and with all their detail, too! The shadow cast on the floor is so spooktacular! I almost thought I saw glowing green eyes in the back corner at first, lol!
    This is such a wonderful kit and you are making it even more amazing! Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm immediately impressed by how your adding those 3 additional dormers has improved the overall appearance of the the kit- The house exterior looks more balanced and the windows make sense as well as add to the mystery associated with old attics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Por supuesto que necesitaba esas ventanas, quedan perfectas, una manera de "enriquecer" ese precioso kit,está quedando genial!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Realmente bonitas. Dan un aspecto mucho mejor al edificio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, definitely good to have windows in those attic rooms! And wouldn’t haunted houses have windows that are a little wonky? Seems perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to add this to my list of "My most favoritie Betsy quotes": An "attic room with no window was intolerable"... priceless! *LOL* But that's so you... and that's one of the things I admire so much about you. There's a logical break in the kit and you really bring it to new hights. And as a little side effect you're turning once more a kit into an ooak.

    The two more additional windows turned out awesome, your work in this tiny scale is as always amazing. And seeing the house in total makes it hard to imagine how it could ever be meant to look different without the windows. And I can only agree with Jodi, the shadow picture is spectacular... I too expect someone lurking in the dark under this roof... ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! The windows are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Betsy, I like where this dark and gloomy Ravenwood house is going. And I agree wholeheartedly with Birgit that "an attic room with no window was intolerable" is a super quote. that line stood out immediately when I read it. :-)

    And again you have found a way to improve a kit that in itself was good. But under your hands it gets better than it would be.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete