Wednesday, December 14, 2022

A Wild Idea...

 


Off And Running...

I Hope you will understand, Dear Readers, that a few weeks ago as I was diligently working on the Ravenwood windows, and pondering the impending Holiday Season, I had one of those ideas that wouldn't leave me alone. Really, I had been thinking about it for longer than just those weeks, but suddenly I had an idea that might be a "breakthrough" in methodology for this long-standing idea! What idea is that you are Wondering? Well, the need to add a Santa Sleigh with eight tiny Reindeer to the Secret Christmas House which is still not completed after several years of waiting! I am sure you recall this is a 144th scale Robin Betterley kit that I built throughout 2017, (before I got sidetracked by the Lilacs Project). Of course, I had to make a start on a "prototype reindeer" right away, just to see if this was possible and worth pursuing. Above you can see the only photo I took of the beginning, and it is a bit blurry.... but I was just testing the idea and not thinking about the pictures. The critter begins much like the Hounds I made for the Secret Christmas House, and the Cat... "Mittens" too.... (please visit the side-bar to find reference to those old posts if you desire to see them). It is just fine paper-covered floral wire twisted together to form a basic armature. The secret ingredient is "the glue trick" which relies on the bulk of the dried glue to form the body shape. You start by adding glue where the legs join the spine and let it dry completely.

Here you can see the "prototype reindeer" several steps further along. 
The "breakthrough" idea was to use very fine wire
 to form the antlers' armatures.
Here you can see them twisted through the head wire
 and sort of spread out to look like antlers.
These will get shaped and trimmed more precisely
 once the bodies are more stable,
 ie more layers of glue applied and dried.

And because this idea looked so promising....
I needed to start the others too....
before I lost my courage....


Seven more bodies begun... 
shaped wires with glue on the joins
 to solidify the structure.
And then wait while they dry thoroughly!
The glue shrinks... and becomes translucent....
You can see the skeleton...


The "prototype" is testing his legs....
Here he has had several layers of glue added to his body...
 but none so far to the neck or head.


Here I have started to add glue to the head and neck area.
Once this is added, the neck position can't be changed...
Maybe I should have "positioned" some of them artfully... 
but oh well... I was more concerned with being sure
 the glue was in the right places as it dried!

And adding the wires to all the rest of the bodies.....


The wires will be shaped and trimmed later. 
Here they just need to be securely attached to the head
 before the glue is added.


I have been using some fairly old and quite viscous Aileen's Quick Dry glue.
When first applied it globs and sags a little bit.
Here I am adding it to the head neck and upper legs.


Here is the "prototype reindeer" on the clip with the glue dried.
You can see the armature skeleton.


And testing the legs for balanced position....
He stands quite well!
The tails will be trimmed last
 after they serve as the "handle" while being worked on!


There is still such a long way to go, Dear Readers,
 with these Tiny Reindeer,
But I do believe this Wild Idea
 is Off and Running!


8 comments:

  1. Dear Betsy, you don´t need anybody to give you a challenge, you can do it yourself very well!! And well done! What a great idea and what a great project. I love those reindeers, they look very real, hard to imagine they are made of glue. lol. Really, I am impress! And last but not least Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Qué paciencia! No debe ser fácil moldear de esa forma pero se ven preciosos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look very promising indeed Betsy! Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful and what a good idea, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prancer, Dancer, Vixen, Blixen and Gluey. Gluey? yes Gluey!

    Wires and glue? I would not have thought that would work so well but they are shaping up to become beautiful little reindeer. I am really eager to see them finished, but they already hold quite a promiss. A briliant idea.

    I wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only You would take on such a meticulous project as this Betsy dear and Only YOU could make it work!
    Your 8 tiny reindeer are already Small Wonders and I can only surmise that a teeny weenie Jolly Saint Nick, will not be too far behind them!🦌
    Merry Christmas Betsy!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know I'm always happy when I can learn new expressions or meanings of words in English... and today I learnt that "wild" is yet another way to say "brilliant" or "ingenious". ;O)

    You will not be surprised when I tell you that I LOVE your newest project... from the idea to your result as shown in this post. I never stop to admire your ability to create lifelike shapes in this "size". They are totally recognizable as reindeers... even now in their gluey appearance. Btw - Huibrecht really made me grin all over with Gluey.

    I can't wait to see more of this wonderful, beautiful, awesome and *ehem* "wild" project... The 8 guys will look awesome when colored and after receiving their harness (I have no doubt you will do that, I know you too well... and after that I will be no longer alone in the club of lunatic reindeer harnessers in tiny scales. However, mine were giants with their scale of 1:87 compared to yours... *LOL*). And I can't wait to see the sleigh and Santa with his presents (And yes, I know you're going to do this too, probably even with bows... because you're YOU and you will need to see if you can do that too... *tweet*). Have fun with this ingenious idea!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete














  8. Great Project I love the tiny reindeer.
    Merry Christmas and A Happy, Healthy New Year!

    Hugs,
    Drora




    ReplyDelete