Monday, March 27, 2023

Stitching.....

 


Updates and Details...

Some of you, Dear Readers, might Recall the little Christmas Tree Skirt I stitched a few years ago. Yes, it has already been two years since I "completed" this lovely little project, a kit from Janet Granger. The instructions tell you to apply a layer of glue to the back side of the outer edge and then simply cut the mesh close to the stitching. This is because a turned under hem would be bulky and difficult to do neatly in a circular shape. As you know, I did not follow the instructions anyway.... and had become carried away by adding tiny Reindeer, snowmen (and snowdeer) and Elves and Santa and Mrs. Claus and their dog "Soot" to the village around this skirt. But I did, initially use the suggested method of finishing the border. But I was not happy with how it looked, and had always wanted to add trim to the edge.... lace.... or something! Well, I recently decided to tackle some of these lingering incomplete projects and pulled out the Tree Skirt. How hard could it be to add a stitched "binding" to the outer edge? Well, it wasn't difficult, precisely, but it took along time! You see the beginning above.

It was slow going! 
I still had thread left from the kit and pulled it out. 
I used two strands instead of one to cover the trimmed mesh.
 I stitched over at least one thread, sometimes two
 deep in order to anchor it well enough.
 Where the mesh is cut diagonally across the grid
 the threads don't hold as securely.
And the thread tends to grab on those cut ends....


I did a lot of stitching while talking with my son who was visiting.
And here you can see the binding completed!
But I had always wanted to add the "snowball" trim
 that I had also used on the little cushions I made.


This was even more time consuming!
You have to align the thread carefully around
 each little "snowball" or it doesn't keep it's shape.
So while we had a big old snowstorm outside in RL,
 I was carefully adding the snowball trim to the Tree Skirt.


It was very heavy wet spring snow.
But we were happily indoors drinking tea and coffee
 and eating bagels and chocolate and talking.... 
and stitching too!


That was already a couple of weeks ago!
Here the trim is almost all added....
 
And Ta-Da!!!
Now the Tree Skirt looks the way I hoped it would!
And while I was finishing old projects,
 Dear Readers, I thought I would just keep going...
 

Do you even remember this project?
It is another of Janet Granger's lovely Tea Cosies.
When I was stitching it I had inadvertently made
 the rear window too close to the side, leaving too much space in the middle.
In order to fix it I needed to add more flowers next to the door...
so I added spires of lavender delphinium between the blue ones.
I do think it turned out well!
But I needed to finally stitch  the cosy together!
 

I forgot to take pictures until it was mostly done.
 

I thought it needed a "handle" at the top... 
so I added a couple of beads that resemble a chimney!
Gosh it's cute!
And that isn't all I've done.....
I wanted some lace "cafe curtains" 
for the window seat of the Dollmaker's Studio.
 

Here I am playing with possible pieces
 to stitch together into a lace curtain.
I have had these cute little hand made lace figures ....
 birds, I think, for so long I can't remember where or when I got them.
There aren't enough for anything a large as a table cloth or bedspread... 
but perhaps enough for a small curtain?
 

Maybe something like this?
It took quite a bit of very careful stitching to join all those pieces.
 

I didn't want to cover very much of the window.... 
just enough to suggest a little privacy.
 

Of course, you know me....
 I needed to have curtain rings and a curtain rod....
 

And here I am trying to see how it looks from the outside...
there is too much reflection...!
 

Maybe if I turn the lights on...?
(The ceiling is still not in place...)
 

And from the inside....
I think we can get a sense of how it will look.
I think it is perfect!
(But everything is still not attached!)
So there you have it, Dear Readers,
Some long overdue updates 
and a whole lot of stitching details!
 


9 comments:

  1. The tree skirt was already very special, but something about adding the snowball trim just makes it all the more darling! And the tea cozy house with the chimney handle??? Just too adorable! Your lavender delphinium makes the window misplacement a happy accident!!! They are so lovely! I really love the lace café curtain, too! Such a creative and beautiful way to honor lace remnants. You are making the most of your newfound free time and crossing all kinds of loose ends off the To-Do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Betsy,
    The Christmas Tree Skirt is exquisite. Surrounding it with the little "snow balls" trim was a great idea. The little tea cozy too is a precious treasure. Wonderful stitching!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. How satisfying to finish those projects! The little pompom trim on the tree skirt really adds a sweet and fun touch, and the tea cosy really is adorable. And what a great idea to join the laces together to make the lace curtain. It really is the detail that finish off a project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stitching? No, not again!

    Just kidding ofcourse. I drool with envy to see all those beautifully stitched items you make in miniature. The enriched tree skirt has gotten the best trim it could have gotten. the snowball trim really finishes it of beautifully!

    I already loved the teacosy. So nice to see that you have finished it. And the chimney/handle is another great addition. It not only fits the look and style of the cosy, but what is a thatched cottage without a chimney?

    The trim with the little birds are beautiful. It would have been a shame if they would not have found a use. Since you had so little of it there were not a lot of options. The café curtain however is a great distination for it. I love it.

    So yay, more stitching! :-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's a lot of stitching! So gorgeous though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betsy. The tree skirt is just wonderful on its own, but the snowball trim makes it even more wonderful. Such a great touch! And the tea cozy house is just to die for. You have been very busy and It has paid off, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous embroideries. The small tea cozy is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've soooooo enjoyed to see the tree skirt again... and of course especially Soot. You know I never forgot him... and I've started to work on my personal deep bow to this brilliant idea of yours so you will understand that it made me smile to see you working on this project while I'm dealing with Soot II. *grin* And being the very proud and thankful owner of two of these cushions related to this beautiful design I can honestly say that the snowball trim was the perfect addition for this awesome project (Eh... wait... did I just write the s-word??? Aaaahhhhrrrrgggghhhhh... this must be a result of this certain photo of yours showing so much of this da*n white cold stuff... total confusion of the eyes... eh... where was I...)

    And I also love the finished tea cozy with its beautiful flowers... and the chimney holder was a brilliant idea. And the lace curtains... the lace pieces are a perfect match. And I'm somehow glad that they make the window with its beautiful light string appear again as I forgot to mention it in my earlier comment. Attaching these ligths in the window and using hooks is brilliant... another thing I might keep in mind to inspire me some day. Anyhow... I'm still wondering about the birds. Yes, they might somehow look like birds... peacock style or so... but with a closer look and having in mind that this project is dedicated to a certain holiday which shall not be named I suspect them to be polar foxes in their winter fur... with their back legs being hidden by their big tail... *wink*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  9. El bordado es genial y has conseguido una buena terminación en el borde, aún siendo redonda.
    Me encanta la pieza de encaje.

    ReplyDelete