Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Great Hall Windows....

 


The Hard Part...

I Have Been pondering for Ages, Dear Readers, the process necessary to create the larger, lower windows in the Great Hall. They differ from the other windows in that they have the stationary upper section of glass panes as well as opening panes on the lower section. The upper part would be made just like the previous upper windows of the Great Hall, but would need to include the lower window structure as part of one single window frame for structural strength. This makes a kind of hybrid frame because the upper section will be all one pane of glass behind the divider, while the two lower windows will need to function separately in their openings on either side of the central divider. The key is that the central divider needs to go from the top to the bottom in one piece, at least as far as the outer frames are concerned. I know, I have you all confused already. But in the above picture you can see the starting of the window frames on the left and the already cut out inner and outer frames just visible to the right.

They do make an oddly shaped frame to start with.

Here you can see I have begun the process of creating the "cross pieces" 

that form the support for the upper window glass pane.

This is the inner frame with the added cross-piece
 to hold the window glass...


Here you can see the beginning of making the smaller lower window frame.
  It is the same method as used on the Tower windows that open...
 an inner and an outer frame with the glass sandwiched between...


And here you can see both lower windows inner and outer frames.
The inner ones have the glass support pieces glued on... 
they will be trimmed once the window frame is assembled.


Meanwhile I have cut the glass panes
 and drawn on the "leading" with the faux glass lead paint.


Here the outer frames have been stained a grayish color...
 (weathered wood in my imagination) 
and the leading has been trimmed to clean up the blobs.


Also the main window pane has been "leaded" and trimmed.


And here I am gluing together the inner and outer frames
(one window at a time so as not to get confused).


But the really hard part, Dear Readers, 
is carving the rabbet to inset the hinge plates
 into the side of the window frame!
If you have been following me for a while,
 you will know I started building this Castle Dollhouse
 a Long time ago. In 2010 to be precise.
The plywood has grown old and tough! 
I did not know this would happen...
and could not have foreseen how long it would be
 before I was finishing these windows,
 let alone know how I would accomplish it.
I used my saws, my exacto knives (several blade shapes)
 and eventually pulled out some chisels
 and finally succeeded in carving away
 the space for the hinges to attach.
Next challenge was drilling the holes for the screws... 
used my hand drill with tiny bits....


Sorry the picture is a bit blurry... dark weather again....
but I got the hinges attached!
On both the lower window frames!


And the window glass fits into the frame.... "like a glove"...


And here it is in the window opening.... 
but the frame will need to be trimmed
 before it will swing open
 past the central post of the window.


And here you can see the other lower window is in place... 
it will also need trimming.
So far none of the main frame pieces are glued in place.
This is so adjustments can still be made easily if needed.


And one more strengthening piece needed to be added to the central divider.... 
the inner piece that fills the gap that the glass fills in the upper portion.
I have glued it and the inner frame piece into the window opening. 
It makes a sturdier window frame between the opening window sections.


And the window frames have been trimmed... 
(I needed to screw and unscrew them 
countless times to get the fit just right)


I just need to paint those grout lines before I glue the outer frame in place!
And then I need to do the same all over again for the Other big window....


Oh My, Dear Readers, 
Just look at all those windows!
The Hard part of the Great Hall windows
 Is nearly done!



3 comments:

  1. Wow, Betsy! Look at all those beautiful windows! I'm very glad that the hard part is done. I'm sure all the people will appreciate all your work and artistry! I can hear them ooohing and aaahhhhing over those windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Look at all those windows done! How satisfying to get another big chunk of work done on the castle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry to hear that the material made it so hard and heavy for you to simply enjoy doing what you love the most - attaching hinges! *grin* Sounds like you had to get the whole tool cavalry for help... but I'm so glad you made it. My, if not you , the Queen of Hinges, who else would ever have managed to achieve a success and a triumph!

    But with a little less joking (at least I try... *ehem*): It's wonderful that you started to dedicate your time to this very challenging and time consuming task. The result is stunning and worth to have this very prominent front view place at the castle. However, I started to wonder... shouldn't there be a word in English for " trimmed to clean up the blobs"? Is there no such expression like "unblobbing" for masters in dollhouse making as you??? ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete