Thursday, July 18, 2024

Summer Rhododendron Shrub....

 


Green Grow the Leaves.....Oh!

I assume, Dear Readers, that some of you might be wondering whether I was keeping up with making the Summer Rhododendron Shrub. Well, I can assure you that I am on it! No slacking at all! I had calculated after assembling the Blossoming Shrub, that I would need somewhere in the Vicinity of 40 batches of leaves for the Summer Shrub. The Blossoming Shrub had 125 blossoming stems (with leaves) and about another 80 or 90 stems with only leaves. Each stem has about 7 leaves on it (a few have more or less). There are 40 leaves to a batch, so 40 batches makes 1600 individual leaves. At a certain point I decided that I needed to assemble the leafy stems as I made the leaf batches.... one batch of leaves per day for forty days! Yesterday was the completion of the 40th batch! (I took weekends off for the most part.)

Here is the fortieth batch under way....


And here it is completed!


This is the assembly area....


Once each batch of leaves is dry
 I fold the stems and cut them apart 
and collect them in this dish.


Here is the collection of assembled leafy stems
 waiting to be attached to the Shrub...


Here is the daily batch while the glue is drying....
You have to keep them from bumping anything....!

So while I have been busily making
 the leafy stems, Dear Readers,
 I have also been planning the "storage box"
 for the Blossoming Shrub.
And today was the day to get it built!


You might recall that I did the same for the Lilac Shrubs 
so they are protected during their "off seasons"!
Of course, it needed to be labeled!


It was trickier than the lilac boxes because 
the Rhododendron Shrub leans around the corner
 of The Folly Dollhouse and hangs down over the embankment.
I had to construct a support structure
 of a similar shape inside the box 
so the branches that go around the corner
 are not permanently squished!
I used builders foam... 
the same as the base for The Folly Garden itself.


And now the Blossoming Spring Rhododendron Shrub
 is safely tucked away in its own protective box
 until next Spring!

And I am madly assembling the leafy stems onto the Summer Shrub....


I got about twenty more leafy stems glued on today!
That on top of the thirty I had glued on since the beginning of July...
So give or take a week or three and
 the Summer Leafy Rhododendron Shrub
 should be completed!
And then, Dear Readers, 
All I will need to do is make another 40 batches of Leaves
 for the Winter Snowy Rhododendron Shrub.....
'Cause the Rhododendron Shrubs
 are Evergreens... Oh!


7 comments:

  1. wow! I admire your patience! I do enjoy making mini flowers, but never for a shrub..

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so amazing, Betsy! I really admire your miniature gardening skills! The special box is a wonderful way to store the precious shrubbery. Thank you for the lovely update on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great Betsy. What a brilliant effort to make all these shrubs and not lose patience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that is hard work, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One batch a day... and there is even an "assembly area"! You are so organized in leaf-batch-producing and put it to the highest possible productivity that I have no doubt that even Henry Ford would have been impressed. *grin* Well, apart from the batch-free weekends perhaps...

    It's amazing to learn how you're creating the summer (and hooray - also autum and snow-free winter version... bless those evergreens!!!) - they look awesome. And you even created the typical green bulbs where next year's flowers are growing up... I suppose with a little help of the glue trick? But don't forget to also produce a few leahthery brown leaves for the ground! *LOL*

    As you know well I always enjoy your posts to the fullest... but this time it made me a bit sad too. Seeing your awesome blooming rhodie in its storage box made me sentimental - although it's amazing that you even created a personalized storage box for your stunning shrub. But if you should ever happen to stumble over some big cloche or a fitting dust cover display case you should consider having the lilac and the rhodie outside all year long.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Betsy, I'm impressed!!!! That is a lot of work and quite the boring kind isn't it? But that is definitely the way to go (but I'm happy to hear you took most weekends off) and wow, I really love how it turned out! Clever how you found a solution to make sure it keeps its shape and won't be squished, that would be such a shame after all that work!

    ReplyDelete