Tuesday, August 20, 2024

And Again....

 


 One Thing Leads To Another....

I Imagine, Dear Readers, that you will understand what happened as soon as the Chapel Ceiling was removed to the work easel for painting. All those days while the humidity was very very high and the ink on the Creation scenes would not dry quickly, I was staring into the opened up Chapel and Noticing all sorts of places where things needed fixing, or at least, upgrading. Because it was so dark back there, I had ignored all kinds of tasks that might be needed to really make it look like I had imagined all those years ago. For starters, the ceiling edges where they meet the walls had big gaps where they did not Quite meet. Does this sound familiar to you? Did I find this problem on all my other "vaulted" ceilings when I was considering whether or not to add the three dimensional trims around the doors all those years ago? It sparked an entire paradigm shift in the construction of the Castle! Yes, trim was needed, and "strengthened" corner posts were needed.... you can read about it in the old posts! In the case of the Chapel ceiling, I was reluctant to try to add individual "blocks" of stone to accomplish the task of masking these cracks, or gaps. In fact, I had already made the first "panel" way at the back of the Chapel years and years ago.

If you look carefully, (I know it is a bit too dark... 
I just didn't have a good picture of this with lighting)
you will notice that the arches on the back wall 
are all cut from one panel that goes all the way to the ceiling.
 It produces the effect of raised trim around
 the windows and the altar painting of the Madonna and Child.
And it covers that pesky ceiling gap!


Here you can see it with the flash... 
sorry it washes out the details that I want you to see 
in the painting of the Madonna and Child.
This method of creating the three dimensional trim
 around the windows and paintings
 is the method I will use for all the walls
 of the Chapel where they meet the ceiling!
It would require very complicated and 
careful patterns for each section of wall.
But that was not the only detail I noticed.
 The painting of the Madonna and Child was still really unfinished.
I suppose that in my hurry to get things done 
all those years ago (thirteen to be precise...!) 
I had accepted that the painting needed more details, 
but just not right away...
Well, now it was time!


And here you can see I have added a lot of details... 
I forgot to take any progress pictures.
In the first pictures (so hard to see)
 there was no shadowing or highlights at all.
 Just the under-painting and the ink lines
 showing through to give the expression.
(You might have to poke the pictures to see.)
Well, I added all those shadows and highlights!
I have been trying to keep the style of these paintings
 restricted to the art styles of the thirteenth century at the latest. 
(This is supposed to be an Old Norman Castle!)


To give you an idea of what I mean... 
here is the Manuscript Illumination that I used
 as the inspiration for this Altar painting.
It is from the Missal of Henry of Chichester
 and was probably painted between 1250 and 1270 AD, 
a time of great production in Manuscripts in England.
Obviously, I have made alterations to the design, 
but I wanted to try to capture the grace of her posture.


Here you can see it all up close... 
including the arched panel that surrounds
 the windows and rests atop the carved pillars.
And you can see that none of her clothes have any shadowing yet....


Which I have started to add here.


And details on the gown shadows too.
The artists of this period lived with flowing gowns
 and had clearly mastered the art of the fold and drape of cloth. 
I do not have that mastered at all... 
and my attempts to copy are very rough at best.
I will not complain of how awkward it is
 to lean in there to try to paint...
the back of the Chapel is 18 inches deep....
 

And finally, some shadows on her under-gown.
 

 I also wanted to repaint the "supplicant" kneeling at her feet.
 These are usually portraits of the donor of the manuscript...
 and I have not copied him faithfully at all.
 For my purposes he is a generic supplicant.
And I also added the second layer of the blue background.....
Oh, how I Love that blue!


(By the way, the reason one of the windows is lit and not the other
 is because the Castle sits in front of my RL windows... 
and one window gets the light...)


Alas, Dear Readers, my hand bumped the candlestick on the right....
The one on the left has been broken for a while....
I will repair them at the last moment before
 installing the ceiling permanently!
And you can see the tracing paper I am using
 to try and make a pattern for the arches on the side wall.


Here you can see the panel cut for the arch over the Crucifixion painting.
Because that painting goes around the corner... 
the arch has an interesting shape and contact angle.


And on the opposite chapel wall the arch over the Moses painting.


Painting the arches.....


Testing the arch panel in place...
These will not be glued in until after the ceiling is attached
 because they would prevent the ceiling 
from being able to slide in and out.


And testing the fit of the arch panel over the Crucifixion.


And testing the fit with the ceiling in place....


And the one over the Crucifixion.
The "missing" top of the arch curve will be added
 in paint to the ceiling portion where they join.


Like this!
You just have to pretend the corner isn't there!


And yes, the candles still "work".... 
it is just the candelabra that is so fragile...
 the glue gave way at one of the narrower junctions.
 I will have to "strengthen" it.


And the tiny bit of the missing arch painted on the ceiling portion.
These arch panels will not be attached until the ceiling is done.
 

And the supplicant's robes being painted....
 

And standing back even farther....
you can see the whole Chapel.
I have draped a lamp overhead 
to be able to see to paint.


And I have to make the arch panels 
to go over all the rest of the arches...


And I still have to paint the panel on the left wall....
This will show The Garden of Eden...
and the front opening wall needs Everything!
 
So you get the picture, Dear Readers,
I have a Long way to go... 
but I am Delving Deep into Details...
 'Cause one thing Always leads to another!



10 comments:

  1. ¡Genial! Estás haciendo un trabajo excelente.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy! I think that's remarkably good progress. You have painted more of the murals and fixed gaps in the walls, making the chapel much closer to done than it was and in a short timeframe. I am impressed! I know how hard it can be to pick up a painting a long time after you put it down. So I applaud your efforts for pressing on with the difficult things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! It doesn't feel like much progress because I can see how far I have to go... but every little bit counts! And the results are encouraging so far, so it keeps me going forward. I remind myself that there is always some detail that I know what to do about... once I am working on it everything flows easily. :):)

      Delete
  3. Betsy, I'm so amazed by your attention to detail and talent! This is looking so beautiful! I can't even imagine reaching into a little room to paint, so I'm very impressed. That color of blue is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! This room is easy to reach into because the ceiling is out of the way! I had to really work at it when I painted the Chinoiserie walls in my Lovely Old Dollhouse! (Which I did in 2012... the posts are in the archive... or in the lookup list) At least this way I can see around my hand! But it is a bit challenging to be precise at a distance. I am used to being able to get my nose up close! :):) And painting is what I love to do! :):)

      Delete
  4. The murals look amazing! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Troy! It's great to see you here again! I hope you have time to make minis still... I know life gets very busy sometimes... and blogs are out of fashion. But thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Yikes, I missed three posts again... well, we suffered from some hot days around here and that's nothing I can stand well so I switch automatically into survival mode aka doing as little as possible. *LOL* But this way I'm able to enjoy a 3-posts-overload of this wonderful, magical blue I like so much... and of course plenty of outstanding artistry!

    This post showing so many details and corners gave me a very good impression of the chapel and its beautiful paintings, especially how all of this goes together. And seeing in this case the Madonna develop is so much fun and giving me reason for enormous admiration. Just comparing the 3rd and 4th picture shows so well the difference your painting steps make. It's hard to believe that the faces shown in these photos show the same Madonna. *smile*

    I also had to smile that you had to face some familiar but yet uninvited visitors like for example those pesky gaps. So good you have so much experience by now when it comes to adding helpful arches and other kinds of "stone"-work. *grin* And it's unbelievable that you have to paint these pictures in place... one would not believe that's ever possible but now I even have more respect for your outstanding results.

    And before I forget it - I'm glad you explained the reason why one of the windows next to the Madonna is shining in glory while the other one is gloomy. One thing less to wonder about... *LOL*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Birgit! I sometimes wish I could move the Castle over just enough for both windows to get the light... but it would mean I could not access the dresser in the corner which holds so much of my fabric scraps....! :)
    As for the Madonna painting... when something has been one way for so long... at first almost any change looks "Wrong"! But I had to just keep going... eventually it "comes together" and reminds me why I needed to work on it in the first place! Lol! I am really enjoying the upgrade! :):)

    ReplyDelete