Thursday, August 8, 2024

And Then....

 


There Is The Chapel....

Do You even remember The Chapel? I must admit, Dear Readers, I was shocked, utterly shocked when I realized that the last time I worked on the Chapel was in 2011! Whaaat???? How could that be??? Thirteen years ago??? But it is true... I moved over to The Great Hall to get the Saints Ceiling painted first.... and then other stuff kept taking my focus. And somehow, here we are, I am finally ready to focus on The Chapel Tower.... and as with the other parts of this Huge project, I need to complete the Chapel before I can move up to the next room which is still bare plywood.

So Where was I when I stopped...? 
I was in the middle of painting the "frescoes" on the ceiling...


Can you even see them in there.... 
yes, I apologize for the dark photos...
I was just trying to assess the situation.... 
and it has been really gloomy around here...


And only half of the wall "frescoes" have been painted....


And in order to access the ceiling to paint it, 
we have to remove the front "proscenium" 
on both the chapel and the room above.
The ceiling is still removable!


And I have cleared out all the "stuff" 
that has been waiting in the Chapel...


At some point in the last dozen years,
 the altar candlestick on the left was bumped into
 and now it needs repair... the light still works... 
but the candlestick needs gluing and strengthening.


Here it is with the ceiling removed
 and the front wall to the Monk's Cell
 (in the far left corner )also removed...


And the partly painted ceiling sitting ready on my "easel chair".
The empty quadrant has always 
been going to portray the scenes of The Creation.
But perhaps the expulsion of the demons 
from Heaven should be completed first?

 
But before we go there, Dear Readers, 
as soon as the ceiling was removed
 I became aware of how far behind
 the rest of The Castle this part was....
What...? No corner strengthening posts? 
 
 No interior window trim in the Monk's Cell...?
(Well, here I have already begun to add it!)
And I am sorry for the dark pics...... 
I forget when I am taking them....
 
 

 
Incomplete electrical wiring.... 
No trim around the Postern Door...
Clearly I had my work cut out for me!
 

 I started with the easiest... 
the trim for the window in the Monk's Cell.


But I was really itching to get started on the painting.....
This is a close-up of where it was left off....
and I admit I was very nervous about starting in again!
I was really out of practice with this kind of painting... 
details in acrylic paint....
on something I had started thirteen years ago!
I started small....
 
Sorry, Dear Readers, I will have to leave it here...
all of a sudden blogger is not uploading my pictures...
I will have to continue at a later date.....
but rest assured... 
I am still painting on the Chapel....


 
 






8 comments:

  1. Good to see you started up again, I am not a big blogger myself (1 post a month is hard enough) and I even can't sign in with google here, must be getting old. But keep up the good work, been looking at some post here and you are getting better I can see. Thanks for vissiting my blog as a non dolhousemaker hahaha Greetings from the Netherlands, this is Remco!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Remco! Nice to see you here! I like seeing your painted figures on your blog. I'm glad you post monthly! Blogs are a bit out of fashion, but some of us don't quit! Thanks for your comment... I hope I am getting better at some things! :):)

      Delete
  2. I know too well the horror of realising how much time has passed between projects!! But again, the satisfaction of picking something up again and finishing it is great. I hope your progress is smooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon! It was a shock to my system. But we all know time does not stand still! I am really enjoying just being able to "dig in" on the Chapel... figure out what it really needs, now that I am so much more accomplished! Lol! It is worth the wait and I am really enjoying the process!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Your chapel is so beautiful! Your frescoes are amazing!! I'm in awe of your painting skills! I'm very happy that you've come back to this project. Sometimes things need to rest for a while before tackling them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Thank you for your sweet words! I didn't intend to leave it so long...! Lol! But it has proven worth the wait. There are so many details that I only recently added to the other parts of The Castle.... and if I had not waited to finish the Chapel.... it would have been really hard to upgrade from my initial work. Since it is so unfinished... I can really get in and fix the missing pieces. I am having fun! And I do love to paint... with brushes... on walls, ceilings... (you should see my RL house!) So I'm in my happy place! :):)

      Delete
  4. Of course a project like your castle with its enormous dimensions needs its time... even more if its builder is not missing any detail. Even if we will never see it again, but we will know it's there so we need to care about it, right? *grin* But my eyes too widened in amazement - 13 years??? That's hard to believe... even more as Father Alban is so familiar to me as if I had met him the last time last month or so. *smile*

    It's wonderful that you're now working on the Chapel again - but the best thing was seeing your paintings again. I'm always in awe with this amazing blue! And although it might take a bit of courage to start painting it further after such a long time - if anybody can do it it's you. ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Birgit, It did take some courage... but I am enjoying every minute of it! And guess what, I might even have gained a bit in my skills in 13 or so years! Lol! I am revisiting the first paintings way in the back of the chapel and have made some judicious improvements. :) They will be in the next post... And as for Father Alban, he is still just waiting for his woolen robe and sandals.... But he, too, is eager to revisit the painted walls of the Chapel! It really is exciting to be digging in and Finally getting to make it look like I imagined all those years ago! Time..? What Time! It is really always just "now" and Now I am painting again! :):):)

      Delete