Tuesday, August 13, 2024

And Then.... Again....

 


 The Chapel Frescoes Continued....

I Suppose, Dear Readers, that the Saints on the Chapel Ceiling are even more patient than those on The Great Hall ceiling, having been begun in 2011 and not touched since then! I had started to show you my careful progress last week, but blogger refused to load my pictures half way through my blog, so I didn't get to show you much at all! I was feeling nervous about painting the details after so many years and so I started very carefully, adding just the base color to all the angels' gowns..... a pale cream color.

And just the beginning of the fabric fold shadows
 on the smallest angel in the lower left corner...
You might need to poke the pictures to see them at all!
But I quickly gained my courage
 and forged ahead with the other angels too...
 

The manuscript I am using for my inspiration
 has the gown folds highlighted boldly in red...
And Saint Michael's cloak was blue in the original, 
but I made it purple to contrast with the background.


And before I knew it I was adding details everywhere... 
demons and angels alike...
There is even a "blue devil" which I faithfully
 copied from the twelfth century manuscript.
When it came to the Winged serpent or Dragon, 
I deviated from the original quite a bit.


The original is done in tan with blue wings.
For the purposes of this ceiling and composition,
 I decided to make it a more traditional 
green and brown combination.
 

And since I am making it up as I go...
It takes longer. 
I am not as sure of what I want it to look like. 


So I find myself jumping from one figure to another.... 
while the paint is drying, of course...
And while I am deciding whether or not it looks right.
Michael's cloak has stars added... 
here just under-painted with white.
 They will be iridescent gold when done.
But if you don't start with white, 
the gold will not show!


And I finally got the courage to paint the faces....
I started with the littlest one again.... 
but neglected to take progress pictures!
And details details details.... 
the angels weapons... the wings... 
the demons' faces and hairy hides...
But if you look closely, Dear Readers, 
you will see the faint pencil outlines of the Creation scenes
 taking shape in the empty quadrant!


And the inking process underway!
The humidity of the summer air
 makes the ink dry very slowly.
I have to wait about 24 hours after inking 
 before I touch them with anything.


Adding the gold base coats....


At the right angle you can see the gleam....
And if you know me at all, Dear Readers,
 you will know I love that blue.....


Oh, how I wanted to see how it would look!


And starting the inking process...


And beginning to paint!


For the models, I have spent hours reviewing
 my Medieval Manuscripts collection.
There are many versions of the Creation... 
but they all rely on the same original text of the Genesis story.
Six days of Creation... and they are,
 more often than not, pictured in "roundels".
 

Gold has been added to the stars!
I am combining and adapting the many images into my own version.
This is, after all, Just the Beginning!
 
 

And as you might imagine, Dear Readers,
I am testing the effect in the Chapel 
again and again...
Oh, It feels so Wonderful
 To be painting the Chapel Frescoes Again!






8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that color of blue as well. It looks so rich and is the perfect background for all your beautiful subjects. This is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! It (the color Blue) was inspired by the ceiling of the Sainte Chappelle in Paris which I visited when I was in my 20's... long ago! The memory never left me. I think of it as "celestial" blue. And the other inspiration is Giotto's Padua Chapel which I have only seen in books.

      Delete
  2. It's so great when one can sit down and start doing something that has been postponed for so long and find it enjoyable and not a chore. The ceiling is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon! It is going to take a while to finish. It always takes much longer than I think it will... all those pesky details! But I am really enjoying finally painting on it again! :)

      Delete
  3. It's somehow hard to find the right words to express how much this touches me. This blue is simply blowing me away... it's the most wonderful shade of blue and it seems to shine in itself. I'm also amazed how deep and rich the gold effects are (even at the photos) as it's always a story of its own to paint with gold.

    I've enjoyed looking at the pictures very much and the best is of course the last one showing everything in place and giving a great impression how this will look in the end. And I've said it so many times before but you know me, I'm never afraid to repeat myself: Your painting skills always take my breath away. You are so talented and I really enjoy being able to follow your progress (which is even more amazing as the weather and especially the humidity are not very supportive). Another masterpiece in painting... and who knows... maybe we're going to find this very special blue also on this year's you-know-what-card...

    Hugs
    Birgit (Who had to smile because you noticed that my garden is not only insect-friendly but also Rosey-friendly... and not so much to the likings of a certain flutterybeary. But I'm telling you my little secret... this was never intended... it happened over the years with the white phlox here and the pink to violet hydrangeas there... and at some point you finally realize that planting for example something blooming in orange wouldn't look good anymore... *LOL* But don't worry about Fluby, he's like me... we're really not the pinky types. But when pink comes along in flowers or in a certain BiWuBeary's fur even we think it's lovely... although unlike me he would hardly ever admit that *grin*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Birgit, as I am sure you can imagine, this ceiling is taking much longer to paint than I thought it would! I keep finding more little details and places that need fixing or adjusting or complete changes! But it is a wonderful feeling to be finally working on it! The gold paint is accomplished by many layers. At least four so far! Lol! Like with the ceiling trim in the Dollmaker's Studio. :) And you know my feelings about the Blue... it just transports me to a magical place! I felt that way when I first saw it in the Sainte Chappelle in Paris so many years ago. It is a powerful color! And what it does with all the other colors is just make them richer too. It is slow going with the details... but I am having fun! :):)

      Delete