Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Lighting The Night.....




Why Things Take Longer....

It Was a Beautiful sunny morning on Saturday, Dear Readers, and I had high hopes of installing the Council Chamber fireplace and getting on with the floor grouting. There were just a few tiny details of the fireplace to finish first. Or so I thought. I had even put the first coats of blue (yes, my favorite Blue!) paint on the ceiling and was testing how it looked. Then I remembered that I had dreamed of lights on that castle Mantelpiece, and knew that I was going to have to test this idea before I attached anything! A few weeks ago (you might have noticed) I had attached the "iron" torch brackets to the chamber wall. These were made many years back when I was working on the lighting of the Great Hall... so long ago I am Sure it was the Dark Ages! And there was even one partly constructed "torch light" to try out.....

It was mid afternoon and the day had turned gloomy
 with the threat of rain
 before I had time to test the torch.... 
which was just as well, because it needed gloom
 to be able to see the effect at all.

I needed to find the mini "extension cords" 
to be able to reach the "candle" wires to the
 power strip on the back of the castle....
But as soon as I had one in place
 I could tell I liked this effect!

But is it too "Theatrical"?
It wasn't dark enough to really tell....

So I waited until it was night out.
And late.
I had spent the afternoon in the garden
 uncovering tiny bulbs and was too tired to think straight.
So the following day I realized that I should try
 all the lights that would be in the room before deciding anything.

It was a rainy day, which helped give a feeling
 of how the lights would look on an ordinary day.
(Forgetting that the Castle folk of long ago 
would not have wasted lights in the daytime...)

But they would have lit a fire on a cold damp day... 
so I had to "borrow" the fire from Hardwick Hall's
 unfinished Attic fireplace to test the fire....

And then had to rig up a second "torch" for the other bracket...
 to see if it cast too much light into the room... 
or lit the fireplace well enough that
 the candles on the mantle would be redundant....
But I couldn't really tell... 
because it was still daylight outside.

But if I unplugged the "candles".... 
I could maybe see how it would look if I decided not to use them....
Ahhh... clearly they would be missed!
Just the fire and the two torch lights would not 
be enough light for the Lord's Council Chamber!
 
 
So I baked the candle sockets into some sculpey "candles"
 and glued them into the Mantelpiece.

And a closer shot.
I wanted them tucked behind the Castle Towers 
so they did not glare too brightly... 
pretend they are mostly burnt down!

By now it was night again...
I have spliced extensions on all those wires....
But it was too late to even think of gluing anything in place!

Which was a good thing...
 because by then I had realized that I was going to have to
 build that rear window frame, tucked into that far corner... 
and wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to do 
Before I had glued the fireplace in the way?

So perhaps you can see, Dear Readers, 
while I am lighting the Night
with the meager light of Medieval candles,
Why things just take longer...!



9 comments:

  1. Dar con la atmósfera más adecuada en la iluminación de la habitación,lleva tiempo,sí,quizás demasiado,pero seguro que el resultado,como ya vamos viendo,es espectacular!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it might have cost you a lot of time to find out the right lighting for this room, Betsy, but it's worthy the result. The room got the lights who fit best, the view of the room and its floor, but especially the mantelpiece is absolutely spectacular!
    Stay safe and take care!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how dark the room is even with all the "candles" lit. I loved the view of it with the sun pouring in - an amazing room! A council chamber - will it have a big table? chairs? That fireplace mantel is just wonderful.
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one seriously impressive fireplace. I love it, especially the lighting on the battlements. Apologies for my (again) lax response to blogs. I'm trying to up my game!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know why things take you longer... Because there is great care and skill and thought put in to each tiny detail! And I love every one so please don't change a thing! The room is so lovely, and the mood you have created with the lighting is dreamy! I cannot wait for Christmas this year so that we can see the room in candlelight and inhabited by all the wonderful characters in Betsy's World! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your lighting looks! The effect is wonderful with the castle. And at least you remembered the window before you glued the fireplace in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm GOBSMACKED by your ingenuity and creativity Betsy! What an AMAZING effect the torches and the lights behind the Two Towers have! Very Lord of the Ring-ish and Gamer Heaven! Your work is BEAUTIFUL to Behold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, now I see I was mistaken the last time... but I have no problems with admitting whenever I was wrong so I'll eveb my error right now: THIS is the most stunning fireplace I've ever seen!!! What a difference this bit of light makes! Not only because the back wall can be seen better now than with just the light of the two side wall torches - but what an atmosphere these tower lights are creating! Wow!!! AWESOME!!! And a keeper for sure!

    I really hope that you'll weave this scene into this year's Halloween story... I would like to see the Wizard there! Or if he refuses to leave his cave maybe Slitherwing planning mischief or Mephisto looking out for mice or tiny dreamers.

    Wonderful work... you never stop to amaze me. And whatever time it took, the result is worth every moment that was needed. Remember - Rome too wasn't built in a day! ;O)

    Take good care of yourself and keep on crafting (or in other words: creating miracles)
    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lights give the the hall the spooky effect which I love. I imagine a ghost moving. I love the fireplace which is a work of art.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete