Monday, June 8, 2020

Back-Tracking.....




Progress..... Step by Step.... Stone by Stone...

It usually doesn't feel like Progress, Dear Readers, to go back over your work and undo parts of it in the hopes that going a different way will get you the desired results. But we all have had to make those choices from time to time. In the case of my Medieval Wall Map it was easy for me to decide that the initial color layer was not right. It needed to be toned way down and made to seem less like "real earth" colors and more like a blank canvas outline. You must remember that I am making this up as I go along and I am trying NOT to copy real maps or real known Medieval maps with any accuracy. It didn't take long to paint over the land shapes with a beige wash. I wanted to get the oceans color in place before I went further with the land, so I painted them blue, ultramarine blue.

It is a lovely bright blue!

This is just the first coat. 
And I am sure that I have mentioned before
 that paint is often quite translucent (a great thing!)
 and needs careful layering to make it look right.

And of course, we have to stand back from time to time
 and look at the effect on the whole room.
 
And especially taking into account the floor tiles.
(Hard to do on a gloomy day!)

And while I was redoing parts of the map, Dear Readers,
 I was also re-doing the "stone" surrounds
 for the windows in the Council Chamber.
 This required undoing the shutters for starters.

You can see the light shining right through those
 screw holes for the shutter hinges!
 I made sure of this because I would need to drill through 
from the outside to correctly position the shutters
 on the new "stone-work" once it was glued in place.

Here the new stonework is being slowly added.
The top stones are the hardest to shape correctly..... 
they require a lot of cutting and sanding and testing the fit.

And while paint was drying on the "stones"
 (which needed to be painted with three colors before they could be attached)
 I was adding more color layers to the oceans on the map.
 Here I am adding thalo green (a very translucent foresty green).

Here you can see that it covers the blue but doesn't hide the blue.

And by the time I have completed the window stonework
 and re-attached the shutters, it is late and dark.
 (At this time of year that means quite late!)
But you can see what an awesome difference it makes!

I had to use my spotlight to show the details!
Here with the top shutter closed..... 
the shutters "fit" more snugly into the window frame this way
 because the window itself is set back from the surface.

Here with both the shutters closed.
It just looks So much better than before!

And the Map and the floor in "candle-light"....
Impossible to tell if the colors are right.... 
but I already know they are not.

On a gloomy morning it is hard to tell..... 
So I work on the other window "stones" 
while I debate the color strategy for the map.

I "Undid" this window as well.... 
even re-fitting the hinges on the lower opening frame
 to recess the extra 3degrees of slant for the hinge plates!
This was challenging.... but now was the opportunity to get it right!

The plywood is difficult to work on its end grain
 (which happens to be the direction it is aligned on this wall).

And here I am adding the stonework frame.... 
gluing with my trusty clamp!

Here the stonework is all attached.
You can see how it recesses the window.

And with the shutters reattached....

I just Love how it looks!

And see how snugly the shutter fits against the stonework?
I did not have to adjust this in the slightest!

And with the bottom closed too.
It looks snug and safe!

As for the paint colors on the Map.... 
I decided to add another layer of the blue over the green....


Just to tone down the green and unify the blue....
I know it is a subtle difference.... 
here partly done.
I was worried it would darken the blue too much... 
but decided I needed to give it a try. 
I could always paint it over and start again if I didn't like it.....

Here you can see it closer.... 
the lower left has not been over-painted yet, the upper left has.

Here it all has been over-painted with the blue.
(Once again it is late and dark!)

And here you can see the map with more light.

And that is as far as I got, Dear Readers,
Back-tracking stone by stone and step by step,
I think I made Great Progress!


7 comments:

  1. Has hecho un gran trabajo tanto con las contraventanas como con el mapa,se ve fabuloso!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Betsy, you're a genius when it comes to installing miniature hinges and windows, they look fabulous now indeed! They've got more depth because the window because the stonework recesses the windows. It must have been alot of work but it looks fantastic!
    The map has to "find its own way", as it's growing in its shape, and I like it as it is now. I know what you mean with the translucent layers of this colors, they can strenghten themselves, or 'break' them (sorry, for the poor English, but I don't know how to say it into good Englsh), I can only hope that you'll understand what I mean...?
    But overall the map looks gorgeous so far, and the color also fits to the floor tiles. Seen the overall view I'm sure that this room will become a true mini treasure!
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Betsy! The raised stones make such an impact! And though I know they must be individually crafted, the payoff in the effect in the room is so worth the commitment! I love that they are giving back a little, too, by making the shutters work better!
    The map is going to be amazing! You + your ideas + paintbrushes = fairytale magic charm!!! I can't wait to continue seeing the entire room become all you ever dreamed it could be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That council Chamber is a masterpiece! Well worth all the time and effort and backtracking - I can't wait to see the map when it's finished.
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. This counsel chamber with the map on the wall and the added stone trims looks simply MARVELLOUS Betsy!
    I Applaud your diligence in retrofitting the window surrounds and reinstalling those Fab shutters! What a remarkable difference your additional stonework makes to feel of the room along with your Amazing looking map- "beyond this there be dragons!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You've been really busy. I love the effect you've achieved. It's absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only agree - you've made great progress for sure! The map is developing into a stunning piece of wall art - with every layer of paint it's becoming more and more impressive. It's always fascinating to see the results of you and your brushes having fun together.

    And the effect of the additional stone surroundings is a true "WOW!!!"... With the shutters being attached again it shows up very well that this is the little extra giving depth and realism, especially when it comes to the shutters. I'm glad to hear that they've been so cooperative to fit in like a hand in a glove. Fantastic work - and I'm already looking forward to see more great progress from you!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete