Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Maps....




How Do You Know Where You Are.... Going...?

I Hope you will not mind, Dear Readers, if I take you on a bit of a Ramble while I show you what I have been working on recently in the Lord's Council Chamber in my Castle Dollhouse. Above you can see the Chamber as it has recently developed, and I am sure some of you would think it is nearly finished. It has the fireplace, the floor, the glass windows and the ceiling is even showing the base colors of blue paint. But Alas, the longer I look at all those details, the more there is another detail that stands out in my mind as a step Not taken when it should have been! I am referring to the lack of three-dimensional stonework around the windows and doors. The What? I hear you ask. Well, let me show you what I mean...

Here you can see that the door surround in the Lord's Council Chamber
 has only "faux painted" stones to frame it. 


While in the Great Hall, all the door frames and window frames
 have a three dimensional "stone" framework, 
which you can (sort of) see in the above picture.
(I apologize for the dark photo!)
When I started building the Castle all those years ago,
 I hurried past a couple of these steps... 
because they use a great deal of time.
And it has bothered me ever since! 
(But do you have any idea how many window and
 door frames we are talking about...?)
Now that I am working on the Lord's Council Chamber, 
it stands out too much to ignore....
 or rather, it doesn't "stand out" enough!
I decided that it is not too late to correct this oversight...
 especially in the Lord's Council Chamber,
 while I am still "building" all the details.

It requires the slow process of cutting and fitting the "stones"
 and painting them individually before gluing them to the wall.
I was having difficulty finding wood stock of the right dimensions... 
not too thick, but wide enough to make good big "stones" ....

I realized that I have many old paint stirring sticks
 that have a great dimension....

Here I have started to add them around the doors.... can you see them?
I know it is subtle... but it does make a difference!

It is slow going.... but I am sure it will be worth it in the end!

And along with the framework surrounding the doors
 (and eventually the windows too)
I have also added a "carved stone" rail across the middle of the wall, 
which will frame the painting....

Which will cover most of this wall....!
"What on Earth could she be thinking... ?" you are wondering.
Well, Dear Readers, I am so glad you asked!
Because many many years ago
 when I was traveling in Europe
 as a college student, I stumbled across
 the Gallery of Maps in The Vatican.
I was completely unprepared... 
had not known they were there... 
and I've never really recovered!
I have always loved maps.... and Oh My what amazing Maps!
And of course, when designing my own Castle.... 
I thought "shouldn't my Little Castle 
have some Approximation of such maps adorning its walls?"

It is taking many coats of primer to whiten the wall 
sufficiently to cover the "stones".

And there needs to be an upper framework added as well....
here being braced while the glue dries.

And while I am slowly adding the stones that will frame this painting, 
I am pondering the problem of the Map itself....
Those maps in the Gallery in the Vatican 
were painted in the late Fifteenth Century.... 
the very end of the Middle Ages...
And a Medieval Map was a very different thing!
I know this.
And This Castle is supposed to be an Early Medieval Castle.
So Exactly what sort of Map will be on this wall...?
Ahhh.... that is where the Adventure starts!
It is much harder than one imagines to "unlearn"
 the perspective that is currently known....
To try to see the World as it was seen
 when nobody could really see it all...
I will fail over and over as I try.....
But sometimes you just have to jump in and start....


Please don't judge this beginning too harshly, Dear Readers,
because it will undoubtedly change....

As I try to find my way... 
mapping a World that has never been...
 and probably never will be....
I have no Map to show me the way....
How do You know where you Are..?
How do you know where you are Going...?


12 comments:

  1. La mampostería alrededor de puertas y ventanas,será un gran trabajo,pero el resultado merecerá la pena,es impresionante como cambia y resalta algo así en cualquier sitio y más en un castillo!
    La idea del mapa me parece fabulosa y además divertida,imaginar un mundo....alucinante!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy this is absolutely wonderful! Pictures and computer screens are tricky - they can show a lot but also loose a lot... but - I can see the added stone and it most certainly makes a difference.
    The addition of the 'world that never was' wall map is just (another) strike of genious.
    Take care,
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see well the added stones around the frame work, and indeed it gives much more perspective to this room and it looks really fab! The same is for the molding on the wall for accentuating your "world" painting on the wall, Betsy, which looks wonderfully real already. This is another special addition to this room, which can only be invented by YOU!
    Stay safe, take care, dear Betsy!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. A map! How exciting. I am 100% behind this project, and you're off to a good start. After all, the point of these projects is not to finish them!
    And i do see how the "real" stones make a big difference.
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful! I love how they used to put maps on floors or walls so pieces to show troop movements could be placed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just when you think a room can't get any better... Betsy comes along and makes more magic with it! I LOVE the 3D embellishments and I LOVE that you are creating a map of this magical land!!! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Betsy, I think you were right as these 3D stones really add more realism and "finish" the work you have done nicely. It has made a difference and I admire you for not letting go and go for it! I find myself very often trying to avoid "more work" and it´s good to see people taking the needed steps so I can learn to not be lazy and just enjoy the hard work! have to say that your map idea is a genius one!! and also that I loved discovering in your photos those hidden passages and stairs I never saw before! Wow, You are really committed. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The addition of your 3D stonework was a good move - it would have irritated you forever if you hadn't done it and I can see the difference it has made. The same for your map. Once these ideas worm their way in, you just have to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Better Best
    Never let it rest
    Until your good is Better
    and your Better - BEST!

    which describes YOU to a "T" Betsy dear! :D

    Loving the new stonework and your Medieval Map in Progress ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Betsy, I love those rooms in the Vatican too. Why buy an atlas when you can have rooms full of frescoed maps?

    Since yours will be an (early) medieval map I wonder if there will be a "Hic sunt Dracones" somewhere on there. "Here be dragons" is a synonym for dangerous or unexplored territories. Contrary to populair belief that sentence only appears on a very few maps and globes. It was more common to put decoratieve depictions of dragons, sea monsters and other mythological creatures in uncharted areas of maps. Good luck with painting it. I look forward to it!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adding the frame stones was the best decision you could have made! Not only that it would have bothered you for ages - but it does make a difference and really, it's a difference that is visible, especially in the close-ups in the last pictures. A fantastic effect!

    And the idea with the map is stunning!!! Btw bravo for the courage to paint over this beautifully painted stonework making all the work you've put in there go - but the map you've begun is worth this loss. What a wonderful detail for this special room - and the beginnings are already awesome as always when you and your brushes are working your miracles. I can't wait to see it again after more layers of paint and with details being added. For now I'm dealing with my old problem - I'm seeing faces and figurines everywhere in your painting... for example Great Britain looks like a little boy kneeing... *grin* Have fun with creating a miniature miracle coming along as an ancient map on a wall! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete