Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Indecision Overcome.....

 

 

 


More Re-doing.....

I am Sure you won't be surprised, Dear Readers, to see more of the Castle Stone Re-building project in all it's rough and imprecise details, since that has been the story for a while in my Mini World. The Vaulted ceiling in the Dungeon also needed its arch supports strengthened. Above you can see the beginnings....  I have turned on the Flash for my camera so you can actually see what I am talking about. It makes everything look horrible... and you can clearly see all the inadequacies of my earlier construction and the irregularities of my painting! I hope you can overlook the piles of bones.... this is the "Ossarium" for the ancient Chapel which has stood here for Ages. Fortunately, adding the "stone" vault supports has become rather Formulaic.... that is to say easy... and it went quickly with no problems.


All it needs now is the grout lines added.

And this would be the final arch to re-do.... 

unless I decided to re-do the Stables too.


Which you can see here.

And I left them for Last because I was Undecided! 

The painted arches looked fine! (I told myself.)

It is way too deep in there to reach! (I told myself.)

Nobody can even See way back there! (I told myself)

But the Stable Door needs its stone framework done! (I told myself.)

And that will make the Arch supports look terrible! (I admitted reluctantly.)

I didn't want to leave this as the Only Castle Room unfinished! (I reminded myself.)

And the arch supports aren't that difficult! (I reminded myself.)

Which meant I would have to knuckle down and just get it done!


But when I started to add the arch support stones 

I made an alarming discovery....


The vaulted ceiling didn't quite meet the wall!

 And the crack was wide enough to make adding the "stone" supports tricky... 

they could disappear into that crack!

(This picture was taken after I had already added supports 

to the corner posts... hiding part of the gap!)


You can see here, more clearly, the added corner posts... 

I decided that the foundation itself needed to be "strengthened".

Otherwise the stronger "vaulting" would look out of scale.


And with the last section of the "post" added... it just needs the grout painted.


Then I added a strip of "vaulted ceiling" to the crack....

 (painted the dark gray) 

and then I could add the support stones!


Of course, I also needed to "strengthen" the other corner post.....

 back there where it was Really Really difficult to reach.... 

let alone see what I was doing!


Which is why I only managed to get half way across one section of the Vaulting!

But I am glad I decided to tackle this.

 I am making the whole structure better in the process!

And that is all I am going to show for now, Dear Readers, 

because I am not enjoying the New Blogger!

I have not managed to make my pictures fit.....

Which is more than annoying!

Well.... I'll just show you the next stitching I have started ..... 

although it is requiring re-doing as well....!


It is a Medieval style wall hanging....

but I counted wrong when starting the second lady's hair....

I am having to unstitch all of her!

And my frame isn't really big enough... 

so I've ordered another one!

Re-doing seems to be my new Normal!

I hope you all are faring well and making minis....!


6 comments:

  1. I think in the end you'll be happier with the stone's redone.

    I don't enjoy the new blogger either. Or the new facebook. I'm sick of these 'updates' that just make my life more complicated. :-p

    I hope your un-stitching goes quickly and you can get back to the fun stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Betsy, you are the very definition of perfectionist! That's a compliment. It's what you know that nobody else will notice...
    And where did you get all those skeletons & why?
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great solution for the ceiling. The Ossarium will be perfect.
    I'm curious to see the new embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me gusta mucho el osarium y las decisiones sobre todo lo demás,demuestran,una vez más,que no te conformas,si no lo ves perfecto!
    Espero que puedas rehacer tu bordado!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your inner dialogue (or should I better say struggle?) made me smile... so familiar... and I like stories with a happy and not so very surprising ending because right from the start it was pretty clear that the stable too would get its deserved makeover. And after discovering the nasty gap it was the right decision after all - and let's not forget that you and all of us will know that it's there because you put all this time and talent and effort in the stonework! ;O)

    A wonderful solution for dealing with the gap. Btw your Mom made me smile too with her remark about the skeletons...

    And yet another stitching!!! Wow! But what a pity that you have to re-do some stitches... but I wonder... the more stitches, the more fun??? *teehee*

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Redoing is the new normal"
    all too familiar words here on my end too, Betsy!:D

    But once again, I am immeasurably impressed by your vaulted stone ceiling, just as I've been with your painted Zodiac vaulted ceiling, and I can't help but imagine that all those dead ancestors lying in state, will be SO Relieved to have the new stonework overhead along with its re-enforced support so that they can truly rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete