Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Rocks and Rugs.....

 

 

 

On the Edge.... 


I suspect, Dear Readers, that my photos are going to run over into the edges of my blog template again. I have no idea why they are doing this, or how to fix it! Please be patient while I try to learn New Blogger-ese. Meanwhile, You can see in the picture how close to finished this little rug was when I last showed it to you. I quickly completed the petit-point and then I had to learn some new techniques to complete the rug itself. It needed hemming and a fringe added to the ends.

Here you can see the stitching is done. And the hemming not yet started.


This is the carpet along with the "cover" picture showing the fringe.

I have hemmed one side of the carpet.


Here both sides have been hemmed, but I need to add the fringe. 

I thought I would test it with one of Sally May's parlor chairs.

 I think they go well together!

Here I have started the fringe stitch. It is trickier than it looks!

It is hard to hold the rug and the thread and the loops all at once.

 Like many things, it gets easier with practice.

 But I still have not finished it.

Instead, I started another small Rug!

It is hard to tell what the pattern is just from this!


This rug is a little smaller than the previous one.

 It is a Lovely little Prayer Rug!

It is zipping right along!

It was at about this point that I started to want to make

 a few tiny adjustments to the design... 

mostly in the color placement.

The kit provides only one color of green for the leaves and vines.

I wanted the leaves to stand apart from the vines.... 

and I had greens of several shades left from the previous rug!

Why not swap out the colors?

I debated with myself about following the directions of the kit....

Then decided to add the darker color for the leaves.

I think it looks better this way!

And the other tiny change I made is in the border... 

the "peach" colored blobs... are they roses? were just supposed to be peach. 

I thought they might need a center "eye" of a different color...

 I chose the light green.

I'm glad I did! I think it adds just a tiny layer of interest to the edge!

As for the Rocks.... I spent all weekend again, 

making the pieces to surround more of the kitchen doorways... 

and more for the arched ceiling frames in the Pannetry and The Buttlery. 

But these are dark little rooms and really hard to photograph. 

It was too hot and I didn't take any pictures.

I will have to do a catch up post on them when they are done.

And as for the fringe for the first rug....

I started the other edge!

It's a bit like the Rocks, Dear Readers... 

not as much fun as the stitching.... 

But it has to be done!

So I'm working on the Edges.

(I am not enjoying this New Blogger......)

9 comments:

  1. precioso trabajo! ...( me pasa lo mismo con el nuevo blogger, me da problemas ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rug looks wonderful! Have you thought of using a dowel to loop the thread around so you have something to work against? When I need something held firmly I tend to get a safety pin and pin it to the knee of my jeans so I can pull and get the tension I need.

    I dislike the new blogger also. Which is likely why I haven't posted in two weeks. I really should do that... you're a good example for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand about making the fringes. It's like in knitting, sewing the pieces together. Gotta be done, but what a bore!
    Your stitching is lovely. And where did you get that beautiful chair?
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something happened to my comment. I must have failed to click on publish. My comment has to do with the fringe - totally boring, like sewing the knitted pieces of a garment together. The fun is in the knitting, & seeing the pattern emerge.
    Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work Betsy. It sucks when you get to those tedious parts of a project, but doing them in steps/stages helps. I am very impressed with your carpets, and your perseverence with the stones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would truly recommend to make an upgrade to your profile of "Longtime daydreamer, artist and doll house lover" and add "turbo stitcher"! *LOL* You are amazingly fast - and the rug looks stunningly beautiful. Sally May must be so happy... and how well it matches with her chairs. And although you're struggling with the fringes you even started a new projects... with already so much progress... well, as I said... Betsy, the turbo stitcher! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rugs are wonderful! I really like the fringe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your carpets are beautiful. The most wonderful thing about them is that they turn out straight. Thank you for showing how to make the fringe.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete