Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Back to the Walls...

 


The Chapel Backside Continued....

By now you know the drill, Dear Readers, the long step by step process for making the illusion of rocks on the Castle walls, so you might find this post redundant. But I need to document the way the walls have been "finished" because it might be a long time before anybody sees them again! The next step required making the arched tops for the Chapel windows. This time I am leaving them very simple with no carved teeth. It is unlikely that such small windows would have been given such an ornamental detail (or maybe I am just in a hurry and will regret this one day!) And yet I have used a "carved stone" motif for the sides of the windows. My only excuse is that I have already attached this same trim to the sides of the other Chapel window which is on the outside wall and readily visible. I thought they should match and I really just wanted to get the back wall done!

Once the walls had been primed
 the next step was the lighter gray paint.


And then the outlining of the "rock" courses.
It went faster than I expected... 
I had already worked out many of the details
 on the more complicated back wall of The Great Hall.


I just needed to make the courses relatively consistent
 with those of The Great Hall... 
because they will stand side by side 
and those courses will be continued
 around to the front eventually!
 They needed to match!
(Another reason to get all the back walls done at once.)


The tower is quite tall... 
I needed to use a step ladder!


And then the "rocks" get painted...


Here you can see the window arches have been attached.


And the "rocks are all painted...
And it is dark and late....
And you can hardly see it back there!


In the morning light it is time to paint the grout.
Again, this went faster than I thought it would!


And again, it transforms the structure in a magical way!


I can't fit the entire Tower into one picture!


Here's the top with the crenelations.
This is the back wall that will hardly ever be seen!


I wanted to see the Chapel windows with the lights on...


Now you can really see them!
I have to confess, I just love the way it looks!


And because the back wall will not be visible.... 
but the side wall will be, where it rises above The Great Hall,
I needed to get the "rock" courses continued around to the side.
(Sorry for the blurry photo!)


Here the rocks have been painted....


And grouted. 
Again, it is getting late and dark.


And even though I really didn't want to...
I turned those painted sides back to the wall.
And you can see how little The Castle looks changed.
But now, Dear Readers, 
I know what it can look like... 
and will look like...
Someday...
 When I get the rest of those walls finished!
I will Dream of it...
 

7 comments:

  1. It is all in the detail, Betsy. Every time I see you painting the castle stone, I am intrigued by the difference those fine grout lines make. It is a shape these beautiful wall will not be seen but I am sure it is a great satisfaction in knowing they are there.
    Have a lovely week,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always just so flabbergasted by how much depth and detail you add with 'only' paint. And time. Lots and lots of time it looks like.

    It's gorgeous!

    Oh, and if you feel compelled to do something fancier for the window arches you could always add plaster pieces or something later and paint the stone to blend them together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Betsy what a marvelous finish to the back of the castle! Those angelic stained glass chapel windows are incredible, and it is truly a shame that they can't be seen at all times! I hope this does not feel like pressure for me to say I am just so giddy to see the front of the castle all decked out in these marvelous stones and carved windows!!! I can see it in my mind and it is going to take my breath away! I hope your inspiration continues and the task just keeps getting easier and more enjoyable with every course you complete!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's really magic happening with every layer of paint and the grout is the last spell making the magical transformation happen. I've said it before - it's amazing to see these plain walls changing into realistc, solid and 3-dimensional stone walls. And the stained windows also look awesome from the outside! ;O)

    It's for sure a pity that this will hardly be seen anymore - but this gave you a good idea and a lot of experience how to create the exterior on the other sides. And let's not forget the advantage of blogging - these stunning pictures of the castle's back will always be visible on your blog and not only rest in your photo archives. And whatsmore - we all know it's there... the stunning rocky back side of your castle.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be marvelous if the castle stands on a rotating table for this magical transformation of the back wall to be seen, or maybe a large mirror behind is if possible.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  6. ¡Menuda diferencia ! Quedará genial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back to the walls but clearly not "with your back against the wall"!

    You keep going and with every course of roughly hewn stone, the walls look better and better. Imagine what it looks like by the time you have finished all the outer walls of the castle? It will be superb.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete