Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Where in the World are the Wires...?

 

 


The Back Side of the Castle...

As I was remarking last week, Dear Readers, what a difference it made to get the Gray Paint onto the Castle plywood walls, I was pondering the scale of this task. The Castle is Large.... three sections which pull apart and each could qualify as a large dollhouse, all made of rough grade 3/8th inch plywood, almost none of which had seen any paint on most of the surfaces. The exception is the interiors of the lower level rooms and the doors on the opening fronts, but the back and sides of the exterior is still the raw plywood. And it has been left unpainted for more than ten years! I decided that I better just get painting! The idea was to get the Lord's Tower done.... and then see about the back of the Great Hall section.

Just moving the sections to a position where I could
 access the back was rather tricky.
 The Tower is heavy and there is not enough room on the Base
 (where the caves are) to pivot the sections 
and be able to access the sides to work on them.
I had to lift the Tower off the base onto a large chest
 which is just tall enough that I
 didn't have to lower the Tower very far.
Once I had access to all the sides, 
I realized I still had a ton of work to do
 burying the wires in the walls
 before I would be able to paint them.
While I had done most of that wire work 
on the Great Hall section ages ago!
There was only one light still not in place...
And while I started on that light, 
I could paint the one Tower wall
 that didn't have any wiring... 
the one that abuts the Great Hall.


The single missing light for the Great Hall Section 
was for the pantry on the bottom tier beside the kitchen.
I had not decided whether it should be a lantern or a candle stub...
but had prepared a perch beside the door to the stables ages ago... 
and had even carved the wiring channel too!


Since the construction of both would begin the same way...
I made a "candle" on a "platform"
 which could turn into a lantern
 at a later date if necessary...


Here you can see I am testing it in place...
It works! 
(I think it will stay as just a "candle"... 
lanterns were a fancy and safe kind of portable light... 
this is just a storage pantry and a candle would suffice!)
But first I needed to finish the details of the "candle"...
 
I needed to make the candle look like drippy wax.
 


Here you can see I have glued the wire into the carved channel...
Where it goes around the corner
 I drill through the corner so the wire
 is less vulnerable to accidental damage.


Here you can see the back side of the 
Great Hall section with the carved channels.


All the wires for The Great Hall and Kitchen
 and now the Pantries too, end up at 
the Electrical box on the back of the Great Hall.


Which is where the Plug Strip is hidden.
The wire runs out the bottom to the transformer.
All of this was built in 2011,
 only lacking the final light in the Pantry!


The Electrical Box is in the bottom of the Chimney shaft.
And while we are back here, with the Castle all pulled apart,
 why not just get the trim around those windows attached
 and get the paint on the plywood?


I already had strip wood painted...
 it is not going to be fancy... 
Who will ever see it?
And once I had filled all the screw holes....


Finally... FINALLY it is time to get the primer on
 the back side of the Great Hall!
Of course, it had gotten late... 
and the sun is setting earlier and earlier....


I had to wait for the next day to get a halfway decent picture.
First the primer....


And then the first coat of gray paint.
And once again... it is getting late.


And once again... 
I am wondering what took me so long...!
But now you know Dear Readers, 
where those wires are hidden...
On the Back side of the Great Hall!


8 comments:

  1. ¡Nunca pensé que fuese tan grande!
    La iluminación hay que pensarla muy bien para poder esconderla y llegar a todos los rincones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I think what's most impressive is that your lights still work. Even when you move things around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an amazing accomplishment. The door hiding the electrical wires is almost unnoticed.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's been 10 years since you built that castle! Wow.
    I was only 80.
    The castle is going to be so gorgeous when it's "done," carry on!
    Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a labor of love, Betsy, and a perfect example of why we plan so carefully! Even if we don't get back to a task until years later, if we've done things in a methodical and logical way, we can pick right back up where we left off! The castle is such an amazing and imaginative undertaking, and it has been so much fun to get a peek behind the curtain! I wish you lots of light and pleasant surprises as you continue with the tidying up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Jodi - it's amazing that you're coming back to this after 10 years just to find out that you've already prepared everything for the only light that was missing still. And I suppose the reason why it took you so long to install the last missing light was the fact that only now you could show to all of us how very well this incredible building is planned and made. And I must say I'm really impressed with your progress, it must be very special to finally put the paint on... and as a side effect you might gain a few additional muscles. My, the pictures give a good impression of the castle's size!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with Birgit, and Jodi! Planning is important, and I am happy to see that it all worked out as you have planned. The castle grows with every step. Painting the walls gray already makes a huge difference. In the last pictures in this post it's appearance already changes from an impressive wooden structure into an atmospheric and foreboding Norman keep!

    Great work so far. I look forward to your next step!

    Huibrecht

    Colour can add so much to an obkect.

    ReplyDelete