Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Stitches And Stones...

 

Slow Going...

I Managed to find the time, Dear Readers, to take the carpet off the frame so I could finish stitching the edges. The long sides are finished by folding under a half inch of the fabric and stitching a binding stitch with a double thickness of the thread. You can see the beginning above. I am happy to be able to report that I had enough of the dark blue thread for both the long sides! I probably could have also done the short ends this way, but I wanted them to have a fringed edge instead. The fringe thread did not come as part of this antique kit... so I scrounged from the remains of a couple of other kits I have made.

Here you can see I have just begun the fringe along one end. 
It is a very slow stitch to make!
And it uses an enormous quantity of thread. 
A three foot length makes about an inch of fringe!
But I know where to get more if I need it, so I am not worried!
So I will slowly, slowly be adding the fringes!

And as for the Stones I mentioned, you know how that goes!


This is the view of the Lord's Bedchamber
 as it was on Saturday morning with the sun shining in.
You can see the unpainted "rocks"
 that I am trying to fit to various places:
The seat below the window, 
the bottom steps by the stairs,
 and most particularly, the "rocks" in the gap
 between the upper stairs and the chimney frame.
I am using small blocks of wood and cutting them to fit...
 then painting them and then gluing them in place.
 Yes, it is slow going.


The first step was to remove all the parts that were not yet glued in place!
Then glue the ones I was sure were correctly fitted... 
and then paint them with primer....


And then the first coat of gray paint...


And then add back in (temporarily for fitting purposes)
 the Hearth and the Door to the stairs...
So I could begin to glue the parts on the other side of the hearth.
The hearth is still removable as it is not finished yet.


The corner on the left needed to have it's post "strengthened"
(you might recall this being done on lower levels last year....)
And because it was an "afterthought",
 I had to carve away some of the window trim to fit the new post!


Yes, I have had to use the flash...
 it has become a dark and stormy Sunday
 and impossible to see in here!
The new post is snug against the original post...
 and now two more sections will be added to make it "square"...
 

I only painted the sides that would show...

Here all the new sections have been added. 

The grout lines will need to be painted.

That whole corner will have a seat across the side wall.
And I have to figure out how to make the ceiling arch inward... 
at the right angles to look like a vaulted ceiling...
 

No, not all of it is glued in place! 
But there are a few more pieces painted than there were last week!
So you can see, Dear Readers, 
Whether it is stitches or stones....
It is slow going!


7 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness Betsy! Your embroidery work is always meticulously detailed from start to finish, but Trust You to take the fringing to the same labor intensive level AND to have it be just as neatly done as the rest of your FANTASTIC carpet! I know you've still got a way to go with the fringing, but what a Masterpiece soon awaits! ❤️
    Also I can't say enough good things about your castle stonework, ESP. your interior spiral staircase. I remember when you built an exterior stone stairs for your Cloud Castle and my jaw dropped then too. This interior staircase is even More Astounding considering the confined space you have to work in with less margin for error.
    And yet you never walk away from an intimidating challenge Betsy, but steadily chip away at each and every project- stone by stone and thread by thread..... and THEN before we know it- it's DONE! 🏆

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only miniaturists (and maybe dental hygienists) can enjoy that level of detail, Betsy, but that rug is astonishing! To have made something so beautiful by hand, and to be able to enjoy it in a dollhouse room is such a special moment! The fringe is going to be the cherry on top!
    As for the Lord's Bedchamber, I love how every time I look at a progress photo I get so excited! I think 'Oh my gosh she's actually doing this even though it is such a complicated task!'. I am very excited about all of the ideas you have imagined for this room, and am so tickled to see it come to be! Both projects are such a labor of love and I am so happy that I can appreciate your amazing work right along side you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The carpet is a masterpiece! I love the way you make the fringes.
    Your "stones" look absolutely natural. What a fantastic great work!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  4. La alfombra es una maravilla. La terminación del fleco es perfecta.
    Increíble como vas poniendo detalles en la habitación y dando volumen a cada uno de ellos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This carpet is one of my favorites. The design and colours are realy stunning. And your execution of it is flawless. I would not have guessed that fringes would need so much thread to make!

    And I like every update on the castle, whether you call the progress slow going or not. :-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG... I'm still shocked!!! Betsy, what happened to you? Did somebody write this post for you??? I mean... "I only painted the sides that would show..."... WHAT??? What happened to "It won't be visible but I will know it's there"??? *LOL*

    But now in all honesty (well, I try): I always love it when you keep on rocking. It's always fascinating to watch how step by step you're creating the perfect illusion of solid castle rocks. So please keep on rocking - I always love to see new parts finished.

    And your carpet turned out beautiful. I really admire the neat stitches with which you've saved the sides. And the fringes will be worth all the time and effort they take... they will be the cherry on the cream of this masterpiece. And not to forget - hip hip hooray for the threads being enough!

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. You who are blocked from the doors of your job, you have a permanent concern for money, you lack financial support to meet your needs and realize your dreams. I received a loan of 55000 euro and two of my colleagues also received loans from this man without any difficulty because I came across the right person. Here is his E-mail: pierrecombaluzier18@gmail.com

    E-mail: pierrecombaluzier18@gmail.com
    E-mail: pierrecombaluzier18@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete