Saturday, December 30, 2023

Stitching.....

 


Updates... 

You May Recall, Dear Readers, that I had ambitiously started not one, but Two new petit-point carpet kits way back in the Fall. The first, another of Janet Granger's kits, a William Morris inspired carpet, is the one you see above. I had zoomed ahead on the embroidery for the central medallion because it was so easy and quick to stitch. This kit is on 18 count cloth with wool yarns. The finished carpet will be 9 inches square, which is a bit unusual for carpets. 

 

And here you can see I quickly expanded past the central medallion... 

and then I ran into a problem!


 my frame is not large enough to hold the entire width of the carpet! 

I will have to keep rolling up the side that needs to be embroidered.... or find a larger frame. I had bough a "package" of several sizes but the bars don't grip well in the cross pieces... it is obviously not well made! 

 The other carpet I had started, Dear Readers, 

was the much more complicated Chinese patterned carpet kit by Phyllis Stafford.

 It is 40 count silk gauze with cotton floss.

(I don't know why blogger is insisting on double spacing..... it is driving me crazy!)

I had decided to design a better central medallion for this one. 


I wanted dragons chasing each other around the central sun...

So I sketched a dragon and then charted it onto graph paper, 
being sure the stitches counted to forty per inch. 
The new central medallion will be about two inches across in an 8x10 inch carpet.
 

I also expanded the rays of the original circle to make them look like flames.


I worked the outline first in the navy blue...


Then started the lighter aqua blue to define scales....
and added gold for the body...


And more of the outlining....


Sorry for the dark pictures.... 
 it is that time of year 
and the weather has been glooooomy!
I am sort of designing it as I go...!
And I have to admit, 
I had to put these carpets on "hold"
 so I could work on The Christmas Card....
Which is coming along, but is a bit behind schedule!

So that is all I have done for the stitching, Dear Readers,
but I have high hopes for both these projects
 in the coming New Year!
(And I don't know why blogger 
reformed the minute I complained!?!)
 
I Hope you All have a Happy, 
Productive and Prosperous New Year!


7 comments:

  1. Oh wow Betsy, I love it and I'm very impressed! I have a lot of patience when it comes to my projects, but definitely not in embroidery and such. But it looks soooo beautiful! What a gorgeous pattern and colors (so sorry about the frame though, that is a shame and weird right?), but then...: the Chinese patterned carpet kit: OMG, not just challenging enough as it is, but you decidedly to casually add dragons, giving it your own twist and I absolutely LOVE it!! Also how you 'just sketched' a dragon (which you did very well I'd like to add) and designing it as you go. With embroidery that seems like a bold move but you seem to be doing very well and know what you're doing. Love the gold too. It has been super gloomy here too, on the other side of the globe. I think the weather in most places is reflecting the state of our world or something, it's about time for some sun in all ways, right? I have high hopes for both these projects too! And hahaha, yeah, Blogger is weird, but nice the double space is resolved, that is annoying, lol. I hope you have a lovely New Year's Eve Betsy and already the very best wishes for a blessed and wonderful 2024 for you and your loved ones! Monique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The 18 count, I understand and have in the past stitched some rugs, but the 40 count Chinese pattern is a real challenge that only a few can do. I admire you skill and your sight and look forward to seeing the progress on both carpets.
    Happy New Year!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stitching as usual Betsy. And happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preciosas las alfombras!!! Y es impresionante que seas capaz de realizar tus propios diseños.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, your hand-stitching is amazing! And I admire that you keep going and figure out what to do even when you have problems like the frame.
    I hope the new year is wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT'S what I call a good New Year's resolution! Regarding your stitching speed there's no doubt that 2024 will see these stunning stitching projects grow and develop. Of course I'm sorry to hear that your frame is not helpful with the square project. Fingers crossed that you will find a larger frame... rolling doesn't seem the best choice with fabrics still so small and a larger frame would be a good future investment as I foresee many more awesome projects, the bigger and the more challenging the better. ;O)

    And speaking of challenges - why am I really not surprised that you managed to make a challenging project like the Chinese carpet even more challenging by adding dragons designed by yourself? Well, I know the answer: Because you can do it!!! Dragon No. 1 looks stunning and the pair of them will leave us all breathless.

    Happy New Year and Happy Stitching!
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see the dragons chasing each other! Your design is amazing.

    ReplyDelete